Illegal Operation

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Vietnam Vet, May 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi,

Every once in a while I will get the warning that Port Explorer has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. I believe this only happens after an extended period of online time(2-3 hrs.), but that is unconfirmed as yet. Once I click the close button on the message, the program goes through it's closing procedures, but when finished, the error message returns and will not go away until a reboot is done. Other than the fact that the message window shows, I seem to be able to do anything I want without any problems. Using TDS, Port Explorer still shows in the process window. If I try to kill it with TDS, it appears to try, but process remains visible in the window. Trying to kill again will result in a warning about closing the kernel32.dll and resulting in needing to reboot, so I finish everything I am doing and reboot normally, using the start button procedure, without any problems.

Win98SE, IE6.0SP1, Port Explorer 1.620, Zone Alarm 3.7.143, NAV 2000(6.10.22). If any other info needed, just ask.

Some background info that may or may not be relevant. No problems running trial version, so I registered just before the weekend(Mar. 6 or 7). Got my e-mail confirmation on Mon. 10th. Downloaded and installed, no problem. Couple of days later, although I could connect to my provider, could not surf, download updates, check mail, or anything. Zone Alarm stopped everything. Use Earthlink account, but do not use their software, on a dialup. I assume the reason I could connect was because other than dialing into their service, nothing is started that ZA can relate to, until I try to access with some application. I uninstalled Zone Alarm and Port Explorer completely, three different times, using three different versions of Zone Alarm(such fun that was). Each time, everything would work for a day or two, then right back to the same problem. All of this was further complicated because that just happened to be the same time a newer version of Port Explorer was released, so the registered version I downloaded was newer than the version that I trialed. Too many variables involved in this situation! After installing the present version of ZA, this behaviour has NOT re-occurred. I only mention it in case it may offer some insight into the illegal operation problem that I may not be aware of.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice offered. By the way, Port Explorer was installed first before ZA, in all reinstalls of the two programs.

The only things missing from the screenshot are the words: Stack Dump:

Attached Files:

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi Vietnam Vet. Sorry to hear Port Explorer is crashing on you. Could you just confirm what you do just before it crashes? Is it nothing at all, completely random after 2-3 hours as you said? Or is it when you are shutting down Port Explorer (after you've clicked close) . If you could give me a stackdump I will be able to help you out more in regards to the crash.

Thats very weird about your ZoneAlarm/Port Explorer problems. I wonder if Zone Alarm tries to block Port Explorer running, is there any options in that regard? Have you allowed Port Explorer and its accompanying DLL's (dcsws2.dll) full access to the network? Its good that you installed Port Explorer before Zone Alarm (but I don't think you need to do this with Zone Alarm or any of the better firewalls).

The last thing I suggest is to download this program called LSPFIX and post the screenshot of that program running so I can examine what LSP's are installed on your system.
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.zip

BTW are you using Port Explorer v1.620 ?

-Jason-

3. Vietnam Vet

Hello Jason,

The last crash occurred while downloading Norton virus definitions using DLExpert v0.99, do not remember details from earlier problems. This has happened maybe 4 or 5 times total over a period of approximately 6 or 7 weeks. Closing down Port Explorer normally, never causes a problem. It takes longer to close depending on how long I have been online with the program running. That would appear to be normal based on posts from other users that I have read. I have currently been online almost 4 hours without a problem. Concerning the stackdump, the only thing appearing in the error message window was the words Stack Dump: with no further info given.

As far as the access problems are concerned, that has not reoccurred in approximately 2 months. If that is not relevant to my current problem, forget I even mentioned it, as it appears to no longer be an issue.

Yes, I am using v1.620, but earlier crash problems occurred with earlier versions. I know this is pretty random stuff, so when(if) the problem reoccurs, I will try to provide more information if possible.

Attached Files:

4. Jason_DiamondCS

Ok thanks Vietnam Vet, seems all your LSP's are fine too, I unhappily...await your next crash :)
    -Jason-

5. Vietnam Vet

Hey, while this is slightly annoying, it doesn't cause me any real problems. Don't be unhappy on my account, I'm not unhappy. Enjoy the upcoming weekend. :D It will be here before you know it.

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

Make sure you scroll down to see the stack dump information ;)

I would suggest a thorough virus scan, with at least a good antivirus. If you have TDS update and run a Full System Scan too, or download and install it.

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

Update before scanning of course -

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=update

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You can rightclick the error details and copy/paste them here, easier then a screenshot i guess.

Yes, for those for whom office hours are over, happy weekend!

8. Vietnam Vet

Hi Gavin,

"Make sure you scroll down to see the stack dump information"

I guess I am not making myself clear about the stackdump thing. In the error message were the words Stack Dump: Nothing else was reported in the window. From everyones reaction, I would think the stack dump info should have been there, not just the word's Stack Dump:, but for whatever the reason, it did not happen. Window's Magic, perhaps? :eek:

"I would suggest a thorough virus scan, with at least a good antivirus. If you have TDS update and run a Full System Scan too, or download and install it."

Virus scans, TDS scans, Spyware scans, HijackThis scans, all of this is a normal routine for me. Paranoid? Maybe. Ever-vigilant? Definitely! :D

Jason,

I was online for about 6 hours last night without a hiccup of any kind, so I guess the time thing doesn't apply either.

9. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

10. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi VIETNAM_VET,

I've never seen a crash like that where the information WASN'T included. So if you scroll the window down to the bottom and there isn't any stack dump info.. perhaps theres something wrong with your system ? Is it a very old install that has slowly been degrading ? :eek:

11. Vietnam Vet

Gavin,

This install was done about the middle of October, 2002. Zeroed the hard drive out before the installation procedure. System normally works very well. As to the crash info, I don't have a clue why the info wasn't included. Can't say if it was there in the other instances of illegal operations that occurred with Port Explorer or not. If it happens again, hopefully I will get a "normal" crash. :rolleyes: :blink:

By the way, the only reason I have been referring to this as a crash is because that is what Jason called it. Is an illegal operation error such as this always considered a crash? The only complication encountered was the error message refusal to go away.

12. Vietnam Vet

Hello again,

Port Explorer was shut down again. This time I was looking at a couple of different sites where the Adshield application identifies a lot of web bugs.

When the original error message pops up there is stack dump info. After clicking close on the message, Port Explorer again appears to shut down. After this completes, error message returns with no stack dump info and some of the other info is different as well. This was probably the same thing that happened before, but I probably did not click details before clicking on close. Sorry for the confusion on this issue. Hopefully the additional info will help to shed some light on this situation.

Original error:

PORTEXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 0187:bff7dae6.
    Registers:
    EAX=00000000 CS=0187 EIP=bff7dae6 EFLGS=00010202
    EBX=bffac578 SS=018f ESP=006fda34 EBP=006fda40
    ECX=fe8ce000 DS=018f ESI=fffffffc FS=328f
    EDX=a7c62278 ES=018f EDI=3fffffff GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    89 44 f9 04 e8 8d f3 ff ff ff 35 10 9d fc bf e8
    Stack dump:
    a7c62278 bffabdea fffffffc 006fda5c bff7db24 81751c70 fffffffc a7c62278 00000000 00000000 006fdb54 bffac3a3 81751c70 a7c62278 00000000 bffabdea

Error message that appears after clicking close on message:

PORTEXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 0187:bff88396.
    Registers:
    EAX=c00309c4 CS=0187 EIP=bff88396 EFLGS=00010212
    EBX=01a7ffec SS=018f ESP=0197fe98 EBP=01980010
    ECX=00000000 DS=018f ESI=00000000 FS=49cf
    EDX=bff76855 ES=018f EDI=bff79060 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    53 56 57 8b 75 10 8b 38 33 db 85 f6 75 2d 8d b5
    Stack dump:

Other applications running at the time were: NAV2000, Goback2.1d, SpywareGuard 2.1, ZA 3.7.143, TDS 3.2.1, Spyblocker 4.75, ID-Blaster Plus 2.0, IE6.0SP1 with Adshield 3.0 Beta.

Thanks.

13. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Vietnam_vet,

Only guessing here - Go back may be the culprit, I am not sure where I have seen various possible conflicts with Goback but the following link may help.

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/goback/knowledgebase.jhtml#_Toc12861745

It may pay you to disable Goback and retry PE

14. Vietnam Vet

Hi Pilli,

Thanks for the link. I pray that does not turn out to be the case concerning a conflict of some type between Goback and Port Explorer. I personally consider Goback to be one of the best applications on this computer and it is extremely unlikely that I will ever remove it.

Before I installed the registered version of Port Explorer, I rarely had any problems with this computer, including with the evaluation version of PE. I was even remarking to someone at work that my computer was working probably the best it ever had since purchasing it. Do not get me wrong here. I like Port Explorer and sincerely hope there is a solution to my problem. I am not saying there is anything wrong with Port Explorer. In the event a solution is not found or Goback turns out to be the source, I will continue to use everything just as it is, as long as more severe complications do not arise.

Again, thanks for the info and enjoy the weekend! :)

15. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi VIETNAM_VET,

if you upgrade to Windows ME or Windows XP you won't need Go Back any longer. The system restore is already included in those OS and is very reliable. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Patrice

16. Vietnam Vet

Hi Patrice,

Having used a couple of computers with ME on them, I will have to respectfully disagree. Friends who own ME also say that it does not monitor everything. I know on my daughters computer we downloaded a video card driver update that went sour during installation. Used restore to return to a time before the download. While it did return the operation back to it's previous state, the download was still there. Not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, but I prefer Goback's operation. It is more like a mirror image. Everything is returned to it's previous state as if it never happened in the first place. In my opinion that leaves less room for error.

17. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi VIETNAM_VET,

in that case your absolutely right! :D I really dislike ME and I ran into almost the same problems as you did. But not in Windows XP. If you once have the possibility to check the restore function in it, give it a try. It's a really nice feature!

Best regards,

Patrice

P.S. I don't think that you upgrade your Windows 98SE to Windows ME. Rather XP I guess... ;)

18. Vietnam Vet

Hi Patrice,

I have heard that XP's restore is better than ME's, but no personal experience with it. I'm just kinda attached to this ol' 98 version. Thanks for the tips.

19. Jason_DiamondCS

Hi Vietnam_Vet,
    there is no usefull information in that crash report except where abouts in KERNEL32.DLL its crashing. Since there have been no other reports currently and its not crashing in Port Explorer (but a system DLL) all I can say is try and see if another program is causing it. If I find anymore information I will post it.
    -Jason-

20. Vietnam Vet

Jason,

I did run into a problem today concerning windows logging. When I clicked on clear the window log, the entire Port Explorer screen went blank. I waited about 5 minutes and there was no apparent activity, so I did the 3-finger salute and it showed Port Explorer not responding. Signed off the 'net, closed all my other running applications, waited a few more minutes with no response from Port Explorer. Ended task, Port Explorer closed, everything back to normal.

Is there any possibility that any of the user controlled settings for Port Explorer could cause the illegal operation error? Should I think about removing and reinstalling Port Explorer?

21. Jason_DiamondCS

When clearing the window log it is calling a standard windows function, and hence it shouldn't present any problems. Doing that though MAY take some time (minutes in some cases) depending on how many items
    were in the listview. What limit have you set on the window logging?

You could try reinstalling Port Explorer, uninstall it first, then install it.
    -Jason-

22. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi V_V
    for the keeping blanco in the window log after cleansing i have it too, while it comes back after several instances of data activity, some GUI refresh, etc. Not with you?
    I look at another program and back to PE and there it is again.
    If it doesn't come back, does toggling off and on the windows logging and log file help to get it back?
    In the worst case stopping and restarting PE ?
    Really need a reboot?

23. Hello,

why not upgrade (possibly for free) your version of Goback to the latest namely 3.21.106. and see of that solves your problem.

I'm using Goback on a multi-boot system using Win 98 Sec Edition & Win XP Prof. without any problem with system restore disabled and running Port Explorer, TDS & Wormguard under both OS.

Goback has far more functionality compared to system restore and saved me more than once with success every time.

Kind regards,

PeterV

24. Vietnam Vet

Jason and Jooske,

Been experimenting with the log clearing feature. When I had the problem, it was set on no limit. Normally keep it on Limit to 1000 items. As near as I can tell it works without a problem that way.

Just changed it back to no limit, worked properly that time. Relatively low amount of logged items in this case though. Seems to relate directly to how much has been logged.

On the problem clearing, everything went blank on the window, not just the logging area. No buttons, no title, nothing. Stayed that way for about 15 minutes total. No way to toggle the log, because there is nothing left but the outline of the window. Minimize, maximize, and close buttons were visible, but did not function. Reboot was not necessary for this. Killed PE with ctrl-alt-delete, restarted PE, worked fine. Haven't had any kind of problem with it since that point and I have spent practically the entire weekend online.

I probably would not have even posted about this since I normally don't clear the log anyway, but only on the chance that there might be some relevance to the illegal operation error, I am experimenting and posting if there is some kind of hiccup.

Thanks for all advice. It is always welcome.

25. Vietnam Vet

Hello Sticky_Cheeseman,

This Gateway computer came with the Goback utility on it when I purchased it. It was called Gateway Goback by Wildfile before Roxio got in the act. I had never even heard of it before that. It works so well, that I am reluctant to change anything about it. Never a minutes problem. I like to install software. If I decide I don't like the application, I use Goback. No worries about sloppy uninstallers leaving garbage everywhere. No digging through the registry for bits and pieces. Bad install of something? Who cares? Goback should have come with a Superman cape.

If in the end, Goback is proven to be the source of my Port Explorer problem, I will pursue the option you mention. I might point out that there is no such proof as yet. Pilli mentioned it as a possibility and rightly so. I am just not anxious to try my luck with an upgrade to something that works very well. Sometimes computers seem to have unique personalities of their own. What works on one doesn't necessarily behave on another.

Didn't mean to turn this in to an advertisement. Me, a spammer!! :eek: I will go lie down now, so I don't get run off. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.