If you were setting up a computer for your mother, which linux distro would you use?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by HURST, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Re: If you were setting up a computer for your mother, which linux distro would you u

Since it's an old machine I would say maybe PCLinuxOS or Kubuntu, if you want it to be KDE. If you want light though, an XFCE desktop is even better, something like Xubuntu or Zenwalk maybe.... But then you are drifting further away from any familiar look n feel. I'd go with PCLinuxOS 2007. Almost everything works out of the box....

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Nah i ran them from iso files. I realise running it from a file gives way better performance but i'm just hoping that the fact that they ran successfully in 256mb ram vm means they'll do the same on a real machine of similar specs.

3. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Playing flash movies on Xubuntu may be problematic for old/slow PC. On PIII 384mb sdram: Audio will start lagging video for longer movies, sometimes loud screeches when watching music videos, extreme lag for fullscreen. Needed to downgrade to flash v7 to make it slightly more bearable.

Also high cpu even on idle. But all these were for older releases Gutsy, Feisty & Edgy.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I would try Xubuntu as well.
    Ubuntu will run note, Gnome or KDE desktop, but it *might* feel heavy at times, i agree with Pandlouk. I'd try both and see to be sure.

I've tried it with about that much ram, but worse CPU, so i can't be sure. And of course, there's all kinds of hardware in a computer. Try it, it's the only way.

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im still surprised there isnt a dvd version with open office preinstalled lol.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I installed OpenOffice 3 from genunix.org without flaws.
    I remember that Solaris had a DVD with StarOffice in 2006, I haven't checked the recent Solaris release (installed OpenSolaris from the liveCD 2008.5).
    Pretty soon (end of October) they will release 5.11, also free.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its much easier to use the package manager. plus it should also clean up the extracted installer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.