If you use a different username on every site, how do you keep track of it?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Sticky Password Manager Pro (for IE11) - this is the one used by Kaspersky. http://www.stickypassword.com/products?src=topmenu
    Also use the Opera password manager protected with a master password (no financial stuff.)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  2. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

About this part, unfortunately, i don't think that is that much linear these days. All that is needed to the company to do (not only Lastpass, but any other that keeps any kind of sensitive info online) is to claim that they were hacked...
    That way they are free to sell, give, share or do whatever they want with the info.

3. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

4. tooth

tooth Registered Member

More than needed but not as time consuming as you would assume.

Create Blank text file > Encrypt with Axcrypt with about 18 character password > Create TrueCrypt Container (password for this is stored in an Axcrypt file with a different password, and the pass for truecrypt is the max allowable).

The axcrypt file, account info file, is stored in that container.

and even if someone made it pass axcrypt pass file for truecrypt > then the axcrypt files for my account info's inside that container, all my long character passwords in the axcrypt files don't include the last 3 or 4 different characters that i memorize to any of my accounts.

And depending on what accounts they are, forums as compared to banking, they are in their own separate axcrypt files inside the container

Some may consider overkill, but it's fun knowing it's safe. But I also consider all the tools and applications some of you install useless.

5. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Lastpass. It is no less safe than anything else. If you are targeted someone will get you regardless.

7. AMD

AMD Registered Member

Roboform desktop is my choice.

Dont fancy anything like passwords etc being up there in the clouds !

8. zx81

zx81 Registered Member

I use my memory, and keep a copy in xecrets (from axcrypt)

My master password from that is long and convoluted but easy for me to remember

9. JackmanG

JackmanG Former Poster

As others have suggested, you might consider switching to a password manager. For one thing, it's going to be a lot safer than a simple Word doc, as the data is encrypted. For another, data entry and retrieval is much easier with a lot fewer steps and with less work. And finally for another, organization is much more easily accomplished.

I prefer Bruce Schneier's Password Safe (which I talk about in the section called "Extras" here), and do keep some accounts in LastPass as well.

As I mentioned here, they reportedly use good encryption protocol, but the only way I know of to be sure your data is being encrypted before it gets sent out is to use the non-binary browser extension and sniff the packets. Then you don't update/upgrade your extension until you're ready to do the audit again.

But for more consequential accounts, I trust Schneier/Shapiro and company more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.