If running only 2 security programs real-time, which combination would you choose?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by justenough, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Well that's disappointing, I thought you were starting up a good fight.:ninja:

Please post if you come up with any good ideas for changes to your plan.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  2. speedtouch

speedtouch Registered Member

A very good approach to security is to remember that malware and spyware are attempting to do two things. One is destroy your system the other is to spy on you. Therefore all you need for excellent security is a very good HIPS and an outbound firewall. With this setup the HIPS will block almost all attempts at damaging your system and the firewall will let you know if something tries to connect to the internet. The HIPS will also prevent spyware attempting to call home via another process that you have trusted in your firewall by preventing hooking etc. The firewall will notify you if something that has somehow bypassed the HIPS tries to connect to the internet. So the combination is very powerful. I have been using this setup for a long time and have never had my system compromised.

3. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

but u didnt mention the names of software that u use

4. speedtouch

I was using Comodo firewall for about two years as my only security app and had no problems at all with malware. I'm now testing a combination of Zemana with Look n Stop firewall as I like the simplicity of Zemana and the speed of Look n Stop. Web pages load noticeably faster than with Comodo. If Zemana turns out to be trustworthy I think it will be a great combination. It's also extremely light on resources, sometimes less than 4MB between them!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  5. spiketoo

spiketoo Registered Member

Interesting thread as I just got a new x64 box and am looking for new apps. Was using the good ol' final version of DCS Process Guard coupled with RegDefend, NOD and Comodo. They did the job from the aspect that they asked me everything which was a bit cumbersome until trained yet gave me absolute control. They were a hog tho on my XP box.

So I loaded up Comodo FW yet again with NOD and added WinPatrol. Lil disappointed in WP but still working thru the issues and Bill P has been most gracious in his responses especially since he must be swamped with the new deploy of WP. Appreciate everyone's responses in here for input tho I did check in here b4 I loaded up WP - guess I should have been a bit more thorough.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Windows7 FW (two-way) and OS-itself (some registry changes and icalcs)

Using sandboxed browser (regular browser, not signed so not allowed to elevate), with the plugins for flash and pdf of standard chrome (copied pdf.dll and gcswf32.dll into Iron directory, starting IronPortable with --safe-plugins switch), disabled other plug-ins

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

My friend uses OldSpice aftershave & swims daily in the Everglades. He has never been bitten by a snake.

Conclusion: OldSpice prevents snake bite :blink:

8. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

rofl:argh: :argh:

9. speedtouch

Sure there is always that aspect, but for me it is a choice between bogging my system down with loads of security apps that may or may not conflict and may or may not work when it comes to the crunch or a simple but effective setup. I prefer the latter as I know what Comodo firewalls capabilities are (very good on paranoid mode) and trust it to catch things. The dual setup of HIPS and outbound firewall is a good basic setup. It is possible something may bypass my setup but then it's possible something may bypass a much more complex setup. Nothing is certain in life.

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Where have I seen this before? ;)

I always wanted to ask if this is true or not: I've seen in TV show that the Everglades got alligators or crocodiles?

If so, does OldSpice prevent their nice bite? :D

11. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

sandboxie is mentioned alot here... are u guys talking about the free version or the paid version? o_O

12. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

In my case, paid. I prefer having multiple sandboxes for various applications.

13. Konata Izumi

Defensewall and........ probably some antivirus :D

14. justenough

Both alligators and a few crocodiles. And the Everglades now has invasive Burmese Pythons, so bellgamin's friend might want to get the Old Spice by the case.

Now using Privatefirewall with Sandboxie paid.

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I purchased the lifetime license.
    That gives me Forced Programs and Folders, plus the ability to run programs in more than one sandbox at the same time.
    I am also able to use it on all my personal computers.

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't consider a firewall one option as Windows Firewall is always there by default. There are many programs worth mentioning as being excellent, but Sandboxie and ShadowProtect Desktop are my favorites.

17. blasev

blasev Registered Member

EAM + OA :thumb: :thumb:

Edit : OA is giving me a headache, turned off the hips :D .

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  18. justenough

Sandboxie and Mamutu seem like a good combination.

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sandboxie and Comodo Firewall.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

for me is AppGuard with comodo

21. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Good old fashion common sense and a balanced Sandboxie.

Bo

22. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Sandboxie and hmp

23. Emy

Emy Registered Member

Prevx SO and Windows Firewall

24. Konata Izumi

I'm quite sure now what 2 security apps I would run realtime.

AppGuard and Sandboxie :thumb:

25. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I will repeat what I said earlier: I can't think of any reason why I should run more than one application in realtime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.