If I sold my printer can the last pages printed be recovered? and how can i wipe it? Brother 5470dw

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by connect4, Jan 5, 2018.

1. connect4

connect4 Registered Member

I have a Brother 5470-DW Printer
    I want to sell it but wanted to make sure all the last prints can't be recovered

If I sold my printer can the last pages printed be recovered? and how can i wipe all the last printed pages? wipe the memeory? How would I do that? Also does it have a hd that I need to remove?

Any feedback is welcome,
    Thanks!

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

3. connect4

Hey thanks for figuring that out. I really appreciate it.

Just a quick folllow up question:
    Does the "Secure Function Lock 2.0" need to be on for this to work? or can the default setting work.

So just on default setting, once I Turn off the power switch, all previously printed pages are irrecoverable and can't be recovered or printed?

4. roger_m

Yes. With SecureLock on, you don't even have to turn the power off, as the reprint function is disabled.

5. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

If you're talking a medium level of security, then I'd be tempted to print off a number of pages containing some large random image files. That should fill up any local memory they have (unless that is very big).

Who knows what information printers now store (and have the capacity to exfiltrate, if they're network enabled or the driver is dodgy). I think if you wanted higher levels of assurance, you'd have to forget selling the thing and destroy the circuit board/memory.

6. connect4

Sorry for the late reply

Okay, I think medium security is good enough for me. How many pages with large random image files are we talking about? 5-10? What about normal printing, like if I printed a book... would 100 normal pages suffice?

But if I wanted to do higher level of security...

I'm not an expert at this stuff so.... I was wondering...
    Where is the circuit and memory board and how would I destroy it?

Thanks!

7. roger_m

Personally, I think just powering of the printer is all you need to do.

8. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

This is going to be model specific, if there's anything cached in flash chips at all. You'll have to open up the printer and have a look. That could also be the means to destroy it - depends how comprehensive you want to be, but think about your possible adversary here! GCHQ used an angle-grinder on the Guardian's laptop for the Snowden material.

Personally, I'd just run off over 5-10 images, that's going to be bigger than text files.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.