Iexplorer - CPU resources

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ljblee, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljblee

ljblee Registered Member

I am posting this question in this forum because I have been using NOD32 now for some time and everything on my computer has been fine.

Over the last few weeks I have noticed that the CPU usage has quite often reached 90+ %. When I check this it is Iexplorer (one or more instances) that are taking up more or less all of the CPU resources. I have not upgraded Iexplorer recently so am somewhat at a loss to explain why it is suddenly hogging all the resources. No new hardware has been added.

If I stop the process from task manager the load quickly drops back down to zero. problem is this is happening every hour or so.

At times like this I immediately think about viruses/trojans and wonder if they might be behind the problem in some way. That is why I thought I would start by posting here to see if anyone else has had similar problem.

If anyone has any thoughts/ideas of what might have caused this problem to start I would appreciate your views.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Assuming you would practice safe hex during that "hour or so"....I would suggest temporarily disabling IMON to see if that has a positive effect. If so....we could then proceed in the direction of finding the Iexplorer\IMON conflict.

Bubba

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

A friend of mine began experiencing the same issue with svchost.exe. After 3 hours of scratching my head I found out it was happening due to a bug in Windows updater that was acknowledged by MS. Unfortunately, there was only a preliminary fix that didn't work for me. After turning off automatic Windows update, the CPU utilization went back to normal.

4. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Was it the same problem described here, Marcos?
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=887930&postcount=20
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=887930&postcount=21

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Yep, it's exactly that bug :) Unfortunately, my friend had a Slovak version of WinXP installed so the patch I found somewhere on the web didn't work for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.