IE9 RC1 out now!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I have uninstalled the IE 9 RC update & reverted to IE 8. There are a number of reasons, these are a couple:

1/ The 'Gadget' calendar in the sidebar stopped working properly & the sidebar controls became unresponsive (I find the calendar particularly useful).

2/ On closedown I kept getting a message that SUPERAntiSpyware was still running (it is on-demand but in the systems tray start-up).

My guess is that this is some form of RAM problem. The problems have disappeared now I have gone back to IE 8.

Nice try Microsoft, but no goldfish! ;)

2. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Microsoft, even after overhauling the UI so much, does not understand the importance of these things -
    1. A UI that accommodates add-ons. Currently most new add-ons create their separate toolbar making IE9 look ugly - e.g. LastPass or Avast WebRep Plugin. Lastpass can be minimized to just a commandbar icon but the problem is in IE9 enabling the command bar makes the UI look fugly. Chrome, Opera and FF all do a nice job of accommodating the add-on icons without messing up their own UI.

2. A decent bookmark tree. Currently when you open the bookmarks from the main UI, and right click any of the folders, the first folder is already highlighted, making it look like both are gonna open together.

3. Make available the option of download manager opening in a new tab instead of a separate Window.

4. Provide a new add-on development model. If every other add-on is gonna hamper the performance of IE so much then why will developers develop for it. Chrome shows no signs of bogging down even with multiple add-ons.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The high memory and cpu usage previously observed seem to be less of a problem after updating Flash to 10.2.152.32.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  4. Daveski17

Hopefully. Anyway I've reverted back to IE 8 on my laptop. I can wait for the stable release.

5. kuti

kuti Registered Member

Hi guys,

Anyone know how to block flash advertisements at begin of video clip in youtube with IE9 RC. This is really annoying.

Many thanks.

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Go to the Add-ons Manager (or whatever it's called :D) and then right-click Flash Player plugin - More information - then there's a part when you can pick which domains to allow Flash by default. There should be a * there, which means all domains/sites. All you have to do is remove all domains/sites.

Then, every time a website needs to display flash content, you'll get a warning from the web browser.

This applies also, at least, to Internet Explorer 8, by the way.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Anyone else noticed this warning before?

xss.png

8. kuti

kuti Registered Member

May be I express my question is not clear enough. Not about flash bock, I mean that when you play a tv clip on youtube for example like channel 4 UK, its always has a few advertises running before open actual clip. This is not happen with firefox which possibly prevent by adblocks plus function. So I just wonder if we could do something like that with IE9.

Anyway, thank you very much for your input.

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Sorry, I totally missed the ad part! :(

I don't see ads, maybe because of the way I use my web browser (Chromium), but most likely the source of ads comes from Google itself, maybe doubleclick or something like that. (Just a very wild guess, though, as I have no idea how the ads are provided.)

Are you using those IE9 anti-tracking lists? It has been mentioned before. They may be able to do precisely what you want.

10. kuti

kuti Registered Member

Hello m00nbl00d,

I did add easylist and couple more adblock filters to Tracking Protection but it's not help IE9 avoid the ads at the begin of the TV show on youtube.

Regards

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

"IE9 RC is currently the fastest Sunspider browser available, no questions asked. Firefox 4 RC1 is about 10% behind.

However, Firefox wins Celtic Kane, V8 and especially Kraken with a distance.
    Kraken is a known weakness of IE9 and the numbers indicate that Firefox is more than twice as fast as IE9 in this test.

That said, both browsers are fast JavaScript browsers and the differences are unlikely to be noticed in average browsing today.

However, as more hardware acceleration features are accessed via JavaScript,
    we will see a much more detailed view which browser excels in this discipline.
    Firefox leads our contest 6:2 after the JavaScript category (3:1 for each platform)
    ."

13. elapsed

14. Daveski17

Well, I suppose it's personal preference, but I have had a look at one or two of the earlier beta Firefox releases & I was quite impressed. I wasn't much impressed by the IE RC.

15. elapsed

Wait. You're comparing Fx4 to Fx3.6 and you're impressed, then you're comparing IE9 to IE8 and you're not impressed? Really!? IE8 is garbage in comparison.

16. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I used to be really big into Firefox. I could style any element of it with ease and enjoyed doing it for myself and others. Made a few extensions for personal use on older versions. Still have Fx 1.5.0.12 on an XP boot. When IE8 came out, I switched back to IE and haven't looked back. I'm really excited about IE9, especially the Download manager thingy. I haven't tried any flavor(beta etc.) of it yet but maybe I will soon since I could try it for a few days and restore back if needed whilst waiting on the final.

17. Daveski17

Well, technically I was comparing Fx 4 to IE 9. IE 8 may well be rubbish in comparison to IE 9 but at least I can run it without it interfering with my sidebar settings on desktop. Admittedly I have only tried IE 9 on my smaller laptop which only has a Gb of RAM. It also is running the 'RAM consuming' Vista HP OS so I suppose it is not entirely the fault of IE 9. What I meant to say is that I tried a couple of the beta Fx releases & I really was quite impressed with it. I don't use Fx a great deal any more as Gecko-wise I tend to prefer SeaMonkey. If the final release IE 9 does the same to my sidebar (which I find quite useful) I will uninstall it & go back to IE 8. To be totally honest if I could uninstall IE from the laptop completely I would do it. I believe this actually is an option on Win 7 but I doubt whether I will uninstall it from my desktop.

18. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

19. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

It is not possible to uninstall "completely" IE, because it is part of Windows.

IE9 RC is very good, IMHO.

20. elapsed

I can only assume it's a good thing? Haven't noticed any brokeness. It's not like other messages which generally have an allow button on the popunder, it's just "we stopped this".

21. Daveski17

I know it can't be done on XP, Vista etc, but I thought it could actually be uninstalled from Win 7 completely. I may be wrong about this however.

I got curious & fancied a butcher's hook so I downloaded it. I thought it was OK. I just had some problems with my sidebar gadgets. Some desktop icons disappeared as well. Obviously a RAM problem (I should imagine). The Fx 4 betas worked perfectly.

22. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

Yes. You are right. I had it removed in Win 7 for a while. I put it back on simply because (1) I was testing (2) There were some compatibility issues. Minor ones, though.

In my mind, though, it was more of a deactivation than an uninstall.

23. Daveski17

I'm not too bothered about uninstalling it from my Win 7 desktop, although, to be honest, I don't really use IE at all these days (not for years really).

24. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

To be honest, unless one is REALLY bothered by IE, there's no reason to remove it. It does no harm sitting idle.

I only tried it out of curiosity.

25. Daveski17

I have heard that there are theories that it can be opened &/or compromised with some forms of attack even if it is not your default browser. I don't know much about this though. It could be just one of those peculiar cyber-rumours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.