IE8 Privacy Button Leaks

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by SteveTX, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/082908-privacy-feature.html

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

This was to be expected, honestly. For one thing, it's a Beta, for another, with the right tools and amount of time, it was "peanuts" for pro forensics people anyway. I won't go off in a totally different direction except to say I wish people could/would understand that trying to hide everything they do on the internet is an impossible task. The entire world is connected together on the most massive database ever devised, I just can't understand why people think no one can see anything. Oh well, I'm sorry, back on topic.

3. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

dw,

I think if you're using standard tools and ways of thinking, you're probably right. However, technology is out there that does enable stuff that is virtually impossible to trace or decrypt. While these technologies are not employed very often or very well, it would be a horse of a different color to say they don't exist at all. Math is an amazing thing. It's always easier to scatter a deck of cards than put it back together, and that very act shows that such a battle can be won.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Oh I certainly believe there are tools out there that make it incredibly hard and not worth the time to all but the most serious of offenses (talking national security and the like), but the best of those tools, and thereby the most effective of them, are in the hands of the ones looking for those most serious of offenses, IMHO. You're so right, math (even though I suck at it) IS an incredible thing, but the problem with math is that sometimes one tiny miscalculation can blow up the whole thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.