IE7 & Windows Update site help needed

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

USA - Back in a real State in time for a real Pres
    Thought I'd try IE7.

When I go to WU in IE7, which worked in IE6. To check if I can still get updates through WU. A basic page (not WU) gives me instructions to add the WU urls as trusted sites. Tools - Internet Options. They're already in the trusted sites. The Internet Options box has one of those lovely yellow M$ banners at the bottom saying, "Some settings are managed by your system administrator." I definitely am the Administrator.

It was suggested I change the security settings.

I go to WU. WU is shown in the restricted zone on the Status Bar. And in Tools - Internet Options, the 2 WU urls are still listed in trusted sites. So I lower the security settings in the restricted zone. After IE7 is restarted, IE7 itself says these browser setting are unsafe. After IE7 is made "unsafe" then I can access & use WU. And going to WU is 99% of what I want IE7 to do.

Can Anybody tell me how to get WU site recognized as a trusted site? Or how to lower the security settings in the restricted zone & access & use WU, without making IE7 unsafe?

Thanks.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

USA - Back in a real State in time for a real Pres
    Solved it.

Assigning sites to different zones. (Getting WU to work in IE7, at least for me)

Start - Run - gpedit.msc

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control
    Panel\Security Page

"Site to Zone Assignment List"

ENABLED

And this solved my windows update problem. I entered these two sites & assigned them a value of 2 (Trusted Sites Zone).

h**p://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

h**p://*.windowsupdate.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.