IE7 & Windows Update site help needed

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zapjb, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thought I'd try IE7.

When I go to WU in IE7, which worked in IE6. To check if I can still get updates through WU. A basic page (not WU) gives me instructions to add the WU urls as trusted sites. Tools - Internet Options. They're already in the trusted sites. The Internet Options box has one of those lovely yellow M$ banners at the bottom saying, "Some settings are managed by your system administrator." I definitely am the Administrator.

It was suggested I change the security settings.

I go to WU. WU is shown in the restricted zone on the Status Bar. And in Tools - Internet Options, the 2 WU urls are still listed in trusted sites. So I lower the security settings in the restricted zone. After IE7 is restarted, IE7 itself says these browser setting are unsafe. After IE7 is made "unsafe" then I can access & use WU. And going to WU is 99% of what I want IE7 to do.

Can Anybody tell me how to get WU site recognized as a trusted site? Or how to lower the security settings in the restricted zone & access & use WU, without making IE7 unsafe?

Thanks.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Solved it.

Assigning sites to different zones. (Getting WU to work in IE7, at least for me)

Start - Run - gpedit.msc

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control
    Panel\Security Page

"Site to Zone Assignment List"

ENABLED

And this solved my windows update problem. I entered these two sites & assigned them a value of 2 (Trusted Sites Zone).

h**p://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

h**p://*.windowsupdate.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.