IE7 "memory protection" question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

In IE7, under tools--> internet options--> advanced--> scroll nearly to the bottom of advanced and I see just two options above "phishing filter" an option to checkmark which says "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks." But it has been greyed out and cannot be checkmarked. Any particular reason why?

Is this similar to DEP w/ IE7 protected?

Thanks

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't even see that option in mine. Is that maybe something new in SP3? I'm still on SP2 here....

3. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

More like something new in Vista, I think. I have machines running SP2 and SP3 and am not seeing that option either.

Regardless, I seem to recall something about that option being greyed out (Vista) if you don't use "run as administrator" (e.g., right-click on IE in All Programs and select "Run as administrator").

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

some screen shots from Vista

Attached Files:

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

IF you disable The (UAC)which also turns off protection mode then you can check the box memory.No clue Why though.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Yes Vista.

I followed the post by prius04 and right clicked IE7 under all programs and then run as administrator. The unchecked "memory protection" was then checked when I looked. I then started IE7 from the task bar (as opposed to the start menu under all programs and without right clicking and selecting "run as administrator"). The memory protection was still checked. Not sure why this is not checked by default. But thanks for the heads up Prius04.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It is a software DEP, but DEP is known to cause compatibility problems, so it is unchecked by default to prevent issues with plugins and etc.
    In Vista, IE 32-bit has it disabled by default, but IE 64-bit does not have this option, because it takes advantage of hardware DEP instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.