IE10 64 bit online tracking protection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jo3blac1, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I don't believe IE 11 for Windows 7 will happen.

Since a big time ago, Microsoft strives to support three IE versions per Windows' release:

Windows XP: IE 6 / IE 7 / IE 8

Windows Vista: IE 7 / IE 8 / IE 9

Windows 7: IE 8 / IE 9 / IE 10

And MS really commits to such (costly) plans. The archaic IE 6 is still being updated to this date and will only stop receiving security fixes when Windows XP finally hits End of Life - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2009/08/10/engineering-pov-ie6.aspx

2. anon

anon Registered Member

=

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Such a change, were it to exist, should be publicly documented. Especially at MSDN. I've looked for reference material and the most authoritative I could find is http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh273399(v=vs.85).aspx. Based on that, the TPLs I've looked at appear to have the necessary characteristics to be automatically updated by IE10. I'm assuming that some others have taken a look at things as well, probably going further than I. While researching this subject I've found no one pointing out a problem with the TPLs.

On top of that you would expect at least some TPL developers to be on the lookout for documented changes and making the appropriate adjustments. You would expect auto-updating to be working for at least some TPLs if not all. Yet, I find numerous reports of IE10 auto-updating not working and zero reports of it working with a TPL.

While digging up the above link I did take a closer look at something I merely glanced at before. The voluntary use Active-X API for checking URLs against TPLs @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj635890(v=vs.85).aspx. An interesting blurb...

Why is there no evidence of that?

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Internet Explorer 10 Previews nor the currant stable version updates the TPL files. This was intentional and not mysteriously broken by an improvement. And considering they are definitely hearing our cries but ignoring thus far, It'll likely not be, or anytime in the near future be addressed. Maybe in two years when they release a new IE version, they might bring automatic updating of TPL files back, but I wouldn't count on it.

Its best that someone do up their own IE TPL updater, very simple thing to create and would be very tiny application for the job. Probably be better to have it use Windows Task Scheduler instead of another unnecessary full-time running application in the background.;)

5. anon

anon Registered Member

Wednesday, April 3, 2013:

Use of Personal Data on Internet is ‘Out of Control’ Says Avira Survey

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, there is/was the known issue of Easylist providers basically shunning support on IE 9. I had thought that changed for IE 10, but perhaps it hasn't.

7. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

You could very well be right about IE 11. If that turns out to be the case, it would end my usage of IE. I've used IE 10 off and on since release, but I've never quite gotten to the point where I thought of it as good enough to be a daily browser. Too many little small issues and changes bug me. It's a shame too, since that's really the only truly official 64 bit browser out there that I'm aware of.

There's just no real excuse for IE 6 anymore, imho.

8. Phant0m

Internet Explorer 9 maintained automatically and conveniently its (Tracking Protection Lists). TPLs in Internet Explorer 10 no longer being maintained automatically. No official documentation or response to this problem have been found yet. Reports dating way back to the first preview release of IE10, but here's an 2013 Feb one on Microsoft - Tracking Protection Lists Not Updating in IE10.

I've been following people's concerns and decided to come to everyone's aid when nobody else would. I created TPL AutoUpdater for Internet Explorer 10. I did have a personal interest anyways, I wanted something convenient for myself too.

h*tp://www.mntolympus.org/download.php?get=IE10_TPL-AutoUpdater.exe
    • Not an installer file, executable is the main application
    • No graphical user interface

This simply collects IE TPL registry information from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Safety\PrivacIE\Lists and retrieves the lists from the TPL servers and replaces the existing TPL lists.

This utility respects the TPL registry TTL (Time To Live) information for each list before updating it again. If TPL registry 'Enabled' is not set to active state (0x00000001) it'll skip the check and retrieval for that list. Each TPL file update the utility will maintain its associated IE TPL registry LastUpdateTime information. The utility will not remain running after its swift checking and updating task.

This utility doesn't add itself to any startup groups, manual action is required. You choose to leave it as a manually executed procedure or manually set it to anyone of the startup groups that you prefer.

The utility only needs connectivity to the TP lists servers, shouldn't be no other connections to any other places on the web, but fw should be specified anyways to only permit connections to the TPL servers addresses.

Edited:
    Importable Windows Task Scheduler file for this utility - h*tp://www.mntolympus.org/download.php?get=IE10_TPL-AutoUpdater.xml
    • After importing, make desired changes to the settings. Also update the file location with the location of the utility on your system.

Utility Updated - Stopped the annoying Windows Popup screen upon execution.​

Edited #2: h*tp://www.mntolympus.org/download.php?get=IE10_TPL-AutoUpdater.zip
    • File Contents [archive_size: 26.1KB]
      - IE10_TPL-AutoUpdater.exe size: 11KB
      - IE10_TPL-AutoUpdater.xml size: 3.55KB
      - IE10_TPL-AutoUpdater.ico size: 66KB

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  9. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Unless you still have a working, licenced, copy of IEClean from Kevin and Nancy around. But that's all history ...

Back to topic.

10. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hey Phant0m,

Although I don't have currently IE10, I'm definitely curious for the comments about this and how it will work out.
    Thanks Phant0m!

11. TheWindBringeth

The EasyList TPL "for IE9 and higher" exists. It has an expires element. IE9 auto-updates it. So I wonder what you mean when you say "shunning support on IE 9". Would you elaborate, please?

12. anon

anon Registered Member

=
    Avira's Web Protection:
    http://i.imgur.com/Dg6ch9C.png

----------------------------
    Domain blacklisted by SiteAdvisor (McAfee): mntolympus.org :

http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/www.mntolympus.org
    http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/mntolympus.org

-----------------------------
    mntolympus :doubt: http: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Olympus

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  13. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Of course. What I was referring to was the unwillingness to actually tend to the TPLs to keep them updated and issue-free. They offered the TPL and still do, but they treated it like a red-headed stepchild while FF/Chrome lists were kept tidy and working properly. That being said, I have no clue if that is still the case or not. I had been using Fanboy across all browsers, but since he is dropping his support and combining with Easylist, I'll of course be moving to it instead.

14. TheWindBringeth

@Mman79: OK, thank you for taking the time to clarify that for me :)

15. Phant0m

Avira's Web Protection is hiccuping.

Regarding being blacklisted by SiteAdvisor, not the case.

Having a single red download should cause a RED at the top ... it isn't. It is showing green. Reason and the truth can be found by visiting https://community.mcafee.com/thread/32207?start=0&tstart=0

There are various tools on the Internet that will monitor the actions of the file, you will see there is nothing happening behind the scenes besides what I detailed for this or ANY of my past files.

16. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Question:

To those wanting an automatic way of refreshing IE10 TPLs, and who DO NOT want to allow PowerShell to connect out (someone provided a script) and for those who do not want a closed source application (Phant0m's I believe?), would you consider adding additional (a couple small(ish)) applications? :D There would be no need to install them, just extract.

For quite sometime I've been learning some tools that allow users to automate browser (yes, browser) tests, namely Selenium Framework and ChromeDriver, which will in this case work with Chromium/Chrome.

I've been in the process of creating a PowerShell script to automate everything, but instead of allowing PowerShell to connect out, the process connecting out will be Chromium's/Chrome's one (chrome.exe), and by using the command line switch one can actually restrict the process connects to the needed domains only and no other, which is a plus for security, and no need to configure a firewall. :)

It's still kind of raw, because I still have to code and test the part that will check the Expires entry in the TPL and check system date and all that, but so far working pretty well.

I COULD do it by using IEDriver instead of ChromeDriver, and therefore automate the refreshing using IE10 instead, but for the irony of it, I think it's pretty neat one uses Chromium/Chrome to do it. :D Get it? :cool:

Anyway, the source code would also then be availabe, so... no concerns about the code.

You'd need to have PowerShell + NET Framework. But, considering that IE10 is only available for Windows 7 and Windows 8 and that PowerShell is installed by default in these, you already have this requirement, so...

17. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

EasyPrivacy and EayList Standard TPL were refreshed today

18. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Refreshed, as in IE10 automatically updated them? Or, the author(s) updated them?

19. siljaline

The author(s) of the TPL's updated the files for us as IE 10 doesn't :cautious:

I also observed that with DNT turned on, it slows quite a lot of Web traffic. It is on by default and most should leave it that way.

For those that use EasyPrivacy and EasyList, those expire every fours days.
    Thus those two would have to be refreshed at that interval. It takes a minute or less to do. Just routine safety maintenance that we all are required to do all the same.

There are some sites that are providing older TPL's that should be refreshed at a site level sooner. Since I don't want to do any finger-pointing just yet. My lips are sealed.

20. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Lol, TPLs are generated on a timed script from the original EasyList source. You make it sound like they manually refresh them or that this is something new.

21. siljaline

I'm sorry did you say something worth reading :ouch: I generally miss over anything you post.

22. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Sorry Wikipedia siljaline, but that's probably why you repeat useless nonsense, you never learn from those that know better.

23. anon

anon Registered Member

+1 .

24. Phant0m

I think I'm misinterpreting you. What I made available as an option for people here is a small(ish) application, ... only 11KB filesize. I don't think you can get much smaller than that! And as I stated, this isn't an installer file, it is the main application executable file.

25. siljaline

Good luck with the TPL issues. I have added my findings, they are what they are based on my experience with IE as an IE MVP and otherwise.

Thanks to those for the feedback and good information that we can all learn from. For the trolls and their posts • these are *[thread spoilers]* thus forcing many not to come back • I would be one of them.
    Mod Team take note -

By the way: Don't feed the Trolls it only makes them grow :ouch:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.