IE is still my main browser because

Discussion in 'polls' started by Pollmaster, Mar 27, 2005.

?

IE is still my main browser because

1. Many of my sites require ActiveX

26.1%
  2. Many of my sites look funny in other browsers

17.4%
  3. Many of my sites just plain won't work in other browsers

21.7%
  4. I am required to use Internet Explorer at work

4.3%
  5. I don't think alternative browsers are more secure

21.7%
  6. It's too troublesome to figure out all the ins and outs of using a new browser

8.7%
  7. I don't need the additional features in firefox or I actually use a IE shell.

21.7%
  8. IE is faster to load up and faster to display webpages and/or uses less resources.

34.8%
  9. I tried alternative browsers but they were unstable

4.3%
  10. Other

39.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

With all the fuss about firefox, many people still use Internet Explorer as their main browser , this is what this poll is about.

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I only use IE for Windows Updates, firefox is my main browser for the rest of the internet.
    Go to secunia.com and check out the latest vulnerability discovered in IE.

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

since a few months I am back to Maxthon, I ditched FFX completely.

I am using Opera since I ditched ffx and I find it better for what I am using it. I do not think that FFX or Opera are *per definition* better/safer then IE or any other IE based browser.
    a half year ago I wouldn't consider me thinking this way :) But I do now... :cool:

FFX is using 40mb in memory when browsing and IE is using 20mb. that is another reason.
    Opera is 18mb and in regards to "safety", opera is considered to be in the same league as ffx imho. another reason for using Opera.

I wish there was a way to completely uninstall IE without crippling my system...I would go for Maxthon anyway, faster then IE too ;)

4. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

i use firefox and ie6 just like nadirah does. unfortunately my wife refuses to use firefox, so i have to keep it around just for her sake.:mad:
    ain't that the truth!

5. steverio

steverio Registered Member

IE is still faster than FF on my machine. Bookmark menu usage is real sticky compared to IE. FF does not always completely shut down at times.

Both are great browsers even with security issues. I use whatever browser that works for me regardless. Just be aware of security issues.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

... I use Maxthon... ;)

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I also use IE because of Maxthon, I think Firefox and Opera suck compared to this great IE shell. And yes, IE is unsafer to use but you can secure it with tools like SecureIT and Qwik Fix. And besides, IE 7.0 is coming up, I bet it will have a lot less security holes. ;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  8. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Avant (old version) for tabbed and group browsing - would love to try one of the standalones but reports on Firefox 'going back in time' and the lack of speed make me hesitate (I have downloaded it full of intention to install each time :oops: ) waitng to see the results for Netscape when it is out of Beta.

Tried Opera out of necessity for a very short time but did not like the ads and I didn't know anyone who used Opera. I know I should have an alt. browser just cannot take the step away from Avant atm.

9. Hi...

See here:
    http://www.litepc.com/

Cheers

10. Don't forget that maxthon is based upon IExplorer. Not sure what component should be left in the LitePC options so Maxthon would continue to run. The IE renderning engine, probably, but maybe also IExplorer itself, so I'm not sure Maxthon without IE would do it...
    Cheers

11. Hi :)
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with that...

The number of issues is different (much much higher in IE, and much more often in IE);
    The seriousness of flaws is also infinitely higher in IE;
    The speed at which developers attend to these flaws is different: Mozilla team is (extremely) faster than M$ as far as finding solutions is concerned;
    Mozilla develops its softs whith security in mind. M$ does never has.

You may want to check www.secunia.com for some specifics.

Rgds

12. And I have to agree with that... ;)
    Cheers

13. I'm sure super experts like yourself can use Maxthon and other IE shells safely.
    But most of us, cluelessnewbies can't. So Maxthon sucks for us.

14. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Even though IE 7 is coming up...vulnerablilties will be found in it by virus writers, hackers et al. After all, it is used by almost 90% of the internet users around the globe.

15. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, of course there will be flaws in IE7, but it will be interesting to see how many and how serious those flaws are going to be. I've read that IE 7 on Longhorn (and maybe even on XP SP3) will be much more secure. :)

And cluelessnewbie, I agree if you are really clueless, you should stay away from Maxthon because it's geared to the power user. Using apps like Secure It and Qwik Fix isn't difficult though, and it will fix a lot of IE problems. ;)

16. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

I just like to use a browser that DOESN'T require updates all the time, and doesn't need additional apps like Secure It and Qwik Fix. I detest "Quick fixes".

No matter WHAT MS release, hackers will find the exploits/errors regardless.
    And then there will be more updates and more additional apps to run.

Agreed. Yet, a lot of people don't see the flaws. Most "standard" users
    know very little about this, and alot of exploits work in the background, hidden or very well disguised.

MS do, but just those "Quick Fixes" and hope everything will be ok.
    However, Mozilla actually care about their users.

17. Security Freak

Security Freak Registered Member

always that i try to use the IE all comes good and a tip of hours am back with my big Fox,excuse me microsoft but IE is a trash.(now i go to another trial) :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.