IE 9 public beta

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Victek, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

im running the release cand. (some call it beta 2) and it def has a lot of fixes over the beta 1.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

It's great, but just like InPrivate Filtering, it comes off by default as well. (I wonder how many IE users around the world are exactly aware of InPrivate Filtering, or even InPrivate Browsing, for that matter. None of my relatives were, that much I know.)

Why not enabled by default o_O (I guess for the same reason InPrivate Filtering wasn't/isn't.)

Will these lists contain Microsoft domains as well? :D

Still, a great start... Maybe now people will have the chance to have created lists alike those for AdBlock Plus.

5. elapsed

If they had it enabled by default they would take a lot of heat from various advertising companies.

Having it off by default allows them to deliver the feature, miss out on the "heat", and the people that care can turn it on.

It also opens up new opportunities for 3rd party developers which is always good in my eyes.

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I just checked the security settings and noticed something weird. SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 are of course on, and SSL 2.0 is (also of course) turned off, but TLS 1.1 and 1.2 are also turned off :S Why would they have better and newer protocols turned off by default? There are not many sites using 1.1 and 1.2 but it's still strange.

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Good question. I did a little research and couldn't find any reason to not turn on the advanced TLS options. I would enable them and see what happens. I would think the worst that could happen would be problems accessing secure sites. You can go back and turn them off if there are issues.

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

I enabled it, secure sites work fine and a test page using TLS 1.2 worked fine too.

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

I just saw that IE8 has TLS 1.1 and 1.2 off by default too :S

10. elapsed

As far as I can see, Firefox and Chrome don't even support it or have it off and hidden. I'd leave them off.

11. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

TLS 1.1 & 1.2 are on by default in Opera. It's a backwards compatibility issue. Some servers don't handle situations where the client identifies its highest level of SSL supported in the Client Hello which is above the highest level supported by the server. The server is meant to look at the version type presented by the client and then choose the matching cipher suite or next highest from its list and send back the chosen cipher suite in the Server Hello response. But some don't do this well, hence that's probably why they disable it.

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

What's the difference between Beta 2 and the Platform Preview? I saw there were releases for both.

13. elapsed

Ah, thanks for that.

"Beta 2" is an unofficial title given to a leaked copy of IE9 beta with the update engine.

We should see RC in January to clear up all the mess.

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

So if I want to run one or the other I should choose the beta 2?

15. guest

guest Guest

No, be a good guy and only run official builds.:cool::isay:

That means "run Beta 1 until RC gets released".

16. elapsed

Or be a bad guy and run beta 2 :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.