IDM+NOD32 = broken downloads/incomplete, help!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by alochet, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alochet

alochet Registered Member

Im using IDM, internet download manager. Been using it for years, no problem.

I tried nod32 antivirus and I like it very much, but these problems have emerged after installing nod.

Sometimes when im almost done completing a download using idm it breaks the connection to the download.

The files im downloading arent malicious or anything, but i think when IDM is rebuilding the files nod32 thinks its a virus or something then breaks the download.

I tried disabling scan in the temp file location of IDM, no luck. I contacted IDM about this they, said nod32 is the culprit.

Are there any workarounds to resolve this issue?

This happens when I download .rar files or .zip files.

Should I just exclude them from being searched?

2. MattJN

MattJN Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

Does your description mean that ONLY the .rar and .zip file types are not downloaded correctly? Do other file types download and save just fine with NOD32 installed?

If so, you could uncheck the scan all files box in the engine parameter setup as a test. Open the GUI, press F5 for advanced setup, click Real-time file system protection on the left, click the setup button in the main window. Then in the new window that opens, click extensions on the left, then uncheck scan all files. Let us know the result.

Thanks,

Matt

3. alochet

Hey Matt

I did what you asked, then I downloaded a zip file with IDM. As soon as it hits 99% IDM says the data transfer has been interrupted.

This problem is only happening with IDM. I know idm downloads chunks of the files them combines them at the end. I dont think nod likes that.

The only way for me to complete the download is to disable all of nod32.

I was hoping the .zip exclusion would work, but its not.

4. alochet

I fixed the problem.

It wasnt from the file system protection, but the web access protection.

I went into the web protection setup and removed .zip and .rar from the list.

Then I redownloaded with IDM and it worked fine.

When i use to have norton, that software would let the download completely finish before scanning and then delete it if there was a threat or false alert.

It seems that nod just wont let you complete the download to begin with. Will you guys be fixing this in a future update?

i really like this better than norton, its much faster, but I dont want to leave my computer exposed by removing scans from zip and rar files from web protection.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

It sounds to me like we can accomplish the type of scanning you are describing. Incidentally, you have already caused that type of behavior in your ESET product. Even if you were to complete disable the Web Access Protection module, the file would be scanned after downloading on any of the following file actions, file creation, file open or file execution; by the Real-time file system monitor. This is what is happening to the .zip and .rar files in your case.

Scanning the files before they are released to the system is what adds the extra layer of protection. There are no plans to change the scanning model of the web access protection module as far as I am personally aware in the current build of our product line.

6. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Paste the detected threats log here

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

This would be the download manager you are currently having issues with ?
    Your installed operating system is | what other security software are you running if any | your installed build of EAV is |
    You may exclude this file from real-time scanning and see if this helps.

Thanks.

8. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

internal scanning is never performed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.