ICMP packet to ISP

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by helpin, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helpin

helpin Guest

I am receiving a "application from your computer wants to send ICMP packet to: (ISP IP number).

Details about application:
    tcpip kernel driver

This is the message from TINY.

Is this Ok? What are they doing? It is also shows it as a type 3 ICMP.

I am all new at learning firewalls and am not sure so many times, but since this was an outgoing packet, I thought I should ask the pros! Thank you!

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Helpin,

You can safely block this one; no need for such an outbound.

regards.

paul

3. helpin

helpin Guest

Thank you Paul. I appreciate the help.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a preset file for Tiny that has been done by a security minded person who knows something about this stuff? Kind of like a template for those who want good basic security?

Thank you!

4. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

ICMP is ping.

5. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

Check the Tiny-Kerio FAQ at DSLR, which you can find at: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/security/2.5.1.+Kerio+and+pre-v3.0+Tiny+PFW .
    There's also a list of additional resources and information at the bottom of that page.
    You might also be interested in the Kerio-Tiny forum at DSLR, which you can find at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio . That's a moderated UBB forum (similar to what you're seeing here at Wilders), not an NNTP newsgroup. You can read, post, and reply to messages on the DSLR forum without registering, but you do lose some of the available functionality (like the IM feature). Incidentally, a lot of the discussion over there has been concentrating on the pros and cons of different rules constructs. (And there's a lot of people that post both here at Wilders and also at DSLR.)

*Fixed link. Pete

6. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Helpin,

Tiny Software does not develop their freeware firewall any longer however they do develop their firewall/trojan trap/sandbox (although it is not free).

Kerio took over the freeware version ( http://www.kerio.com/parser/mainpage.php?id=204&lg=1 ). If you are using the freeware version of TPF, I would strongly recommend upgrading to Kerio. Kerio has plugged several holes and has added rules to the ruleset.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Kent

7. helpin

helpin Guest

Thanks to all of you. I like to come to Wilders to help on things I know about. But, the personal firewall thing and I'm lost. I will check out those forums for TINY. Thanks!

8. brian Glazer

brian Glazer Guest

Kent, Thanks for the info on the Tiny and Kerio thing. I just went to the Kerio web site and see that there are some improvements. Thanks a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.