IBM Proventia Desktop Endpoint Security ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mack Jones, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mack Jones

Mack Jones Registered Member

Hello,

As a Lenovo user, I find IBM softwares very effective (System update, PC Doctor, all Thinkvantage utilities in fact).
    I discovered they made a security tool called "Proventia Desktop Endpoint Security".

Has anyone heard about it ?
    The only screenie I've found is this pic on the internet
    http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/proventia-desktop-firewall-stymies-malware-849?page=0,1

EDIT: this pic reminds me BlackICE protection...
    http://www.infoworld.com/img/img88194.jpg

Just wonder how it deals against malwares ;)

Thank you for sharing your brains :thumb:

Cheers,
    Mack

2. tesk

tesk Registered Member

They bought McAfee a month ago or so - I think that is were it comes from ;)

3. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I think Intel bought McAfee not IBM

4. m0unds

m0unds Guest

yup.

clicky (wikipedia) <-- info about IBM's computer security div.

5. tesk

tesk Registered Member

Oh, I am very sorry. My mistake :ouch:

6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I took a look at the article that you provided a link for, but it does not say anything about it being included in the ThinkVantage Package of utilities. I get the impression that it is for their Enterprise Clients and not the everyday user. There is no mention of which Lenovo Desktop that this product was designed for (no model numbers etc.) ... also no indication that it comes with any specific desktop model.

Tnx for bringing it to our attention though as it would be interesting if IBM were to add it to their stable of TV products that the home user could take advantage of. It would make the Lenovo platform somewhat unique in that regard. It seems to me that firewalls get users a little prickly as they expect a list of to-dos that are beyond their skill set. Most opt for one that does its job silently (re: Windows FW). Now if this IBM product is Malware seek & destroy/FW combo running silently in the background then the user who hates to have to make a decision might find it incredibly appealing. Kudos to IBM if that is what this is all about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.