IBM just proved quantum computers can do things impossible for classical ones

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by guest, Oct 18, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

IBM just proved quantum computers can do things impossible for classical ones
    October 18, 2018
    https://thenextweb.com/science/2018...-can-do-things-impossible-for-classical-ones/

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

A peek into a future beyond our time perhaps.

3. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

interesting stuff this, doing some reading up on it, thanks for the link mood *puppy*

4. 142395

142395 Guest

The paper seems to be reformatted version of this freely available paper (they moved detailed things to sppl.).
    Haha, actually not, the author assumed quite restricted q-computer model which will be realized in current (or near-term) tech, this is why it's called "shallow".

It appears while some previous studies on the SQCs focused more on quantum speed up w/ both theoretical & physical q-computer architecture, the author focused on what can't be achieved in c-computer w/ so far purely theoretical architecture. Another significance in this study somehow not mentioned in the article is they didn't use oracle, a hypothetical black-box func, but instead used a linear Boolean func in quadratic form so eliminated possibility that the internals of the oracle leads to efficient computation in c-comp. This is another meaning of "unconditional", not just a complexity-theoretic conjectures.

So the study showed there's a practical (i.e. can be achieved in quite near future) case q-comp outperforms c-comp even w/out the conjectures or oracle.

TBH IDK why this is "a watershed moment" (not trying to belittle it, rather I recognize importance of this kind of theoretical work). I don't feel like this significantly changes the direction of studies in the field - it may be end up getting a somewhat similar position to Ergodic theory in statistical mechanics or provable security in cryptography - but I may be wrong. But, allow me for dirty talk, this will be useful for students to convince officials to give more budget.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.