I would like opinions on the APU2D0 router from teklager.se

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Uitlander, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Uitlander

Uitlander Registered Member

I am preparing to buy a new router to replace my MikroTik hEX RB750gr3, though I guess I'll probably wait til it dies, and just keep the new router in storage as backup. My goals for a new router are NAT & SPI, ability to install a VPN like IVPN (either via OpenVPN or IPsec protocol), with enough speed for streaming videos sans a lot of buffering.

So I was planning on buying the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4 until I ran across this one: https://teklager.se/en/products/routers/pc-engines-APU2D0, which looks superior to me, but I have not been able to find out much about it. No pro reviews nor user reviews are usually a bad omen. I'd like to hear what forum users think of the APU2D0 router, especially anyone that has used it. Positive or negative.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I would advise against this for several reasons. It could take months or even years before your current router dies. Consider the following:

1. The warranty starts on the date of purchase.
    2. The new router or some of its feature could be superseded and become obsolete while just sitting on the shelf.
    3. It is not uncommon for manufacturers to revise current models with newer (and better and/or bug free) versions that you would have received if you had waited.
    4. A newer router that you might prefer may come out while you still have a new, in the box old model.​

My advice is for you to wait until you are actually ready to buy, then seek advice. Asking for buying advise now is really wasting yours and our time.

3. Uitlander

Uitlander Registered Member

My MikroTik is at least a couple years old, hence your first three points already apply to it. Already out of warranty, already requires a firmware update (maybe more), already has newer/better version, etc. I only buy wired routers, and by that I mean those having absolute zero wi-fi capability. Wireless routers are the current and likely future fad of trendy trendsters, while wired-only routers are becoming ever harder to find, with ever dwindling choices. My original post should of made clear that I am not asking for permission to buy a router, nor asking for advice on whether or not I should buy one. That decision has already been made, so such advice is really wasting your time and mine. I am already "actually ready to buy".

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Sorry - I guess I was not clear.

Those points apply to the "new" router you said in your opening post you were "preparing to buy" but will probably wait to install it until the old router dies.

I am saying, don't buy a new router (or any electronic devices) then put it in storage while you wait for the old one to die. It could be years before your old one finally dies.The new one could grow old and obsolete and be superseded with something better while it is just sitting in the unopened box on your storage shelf. :(

You need to do one of the following:

1. But a new router now and replace the old router now or,
    2. Wait until the old one dies and then buy a new one (with its brand new warranty and the latest technologies) to replace it.​
    That's fine. Then my recommendation is, don't let it grow old unused on the shelf. When you get it home, install it now and enjoy it now and retire the old one before it dies and leaves you without a network.

That said, about that particular TekLager device, I note it is just a router. No integrated WAP (wireless access point), no integrated Ethernet switch, and it comes with a European power connector (though US and UK plugs are available). And that one is priced in Swedish Krona. But your profile says you are in Canada. So just making sure it is available in your area or, as you said, you are just wasting your time and ours.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.