I was right... consolidation is flawed

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Scootel2, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scootel2

Scootel2 Registered Member

Okay I have my machine set to only allow 8 backups (1 full and 7 incremental). After consolidation I still have 1 new full and 7 incremental. Now everyday because it does not remove the old incremental files it consolidates. Why is this? In my opinion it should remove the old incremental files once it consolidates. Am I missing something?

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I assume we're dicsussing TI 2009 build o_O? . Acronis seem to have changed the way consolidation works in this version.

I haven't seen your exact events, but i have mine set up to consolidate on file size, with this I end up with 1 full and 5 incrementals, the incrementals get overwritten each day until the quota is fulfilled and then it consolidates.

I always have 1 full and 5 incrementals on the drive. So if you follow this logic through, your schedule would behave as it does.

Hopefully Acronsi might have a rethink on this or perhaps make the rules even more flexible, which might be what they thought they were doing.

Colin

3. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

I believe this is what it does:
    Before:
    F I1 I2 I3 I4 I5 I6 I7

When the 8th incremental enters; the current full is consolidated with the nearest incremental.
    After:
    F=(F+I1) I2 I3 I4 I5 I6 I7 I8

and so on and so forth

4. Scootel2

Scootel2 Registered Member

Because of this it will consolidate everyday. If it were to delete the incrementals after consolidation it would only consolidate after 5 more new incrementals were created.

5. EddieA

EddieA Registered Member

Here's a novel idea. How about making the software work like every other backup software out there. Where you take a full backup, then take incremental backups until it's time to take another full backup, and start the process again. And give the user control over how many full/incremental "sets" are kept.

Even before this latest, retarded, consolidation was introduced, I always thought it was crazy the way TI tried to merge incremental backups into the full backup when the backup quota was reached.

Cheers,
    Eddie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.