I want to know about a virus called JS/psyme

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by emt3920, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emt3920

emt3920 Registered Member

I clicked on a link in an e mail I rec'd and my virus scanner alerted me that I had gotten a virus. (I have AVG free edition). It told me to run the virus scan to take care of it. I did and it said the virus could not be healed and suggested I move it to the "virus Vault". I did that, but i would like to get rid of it altogether. Anybody know a way to delete it from my machine? I went to the AVG site but they had no info on this virus

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

If it was moved to the Virus Vault, then it was taken care of. So files can not be healed because they are "all virus" and not merely a corruption of a good file that can be repaired. Moving a file to Virus Vault gets it out of the way and puts it somewhere safe.

However, you can empty the Virus Vault if you are sure that file was indeed infected and just want it gone. Right-click the AVG systray icon and choose "Run AVG Anti-Virus". In the main application use the Program menu > choose "AVG Virus Vault". That let's you view what's in there. It looks a little like a Windows Explorer interface and even has a waste basket. You can select the virus file and see a little info about it, then you can click the wastebasket to empty that virus out. That totally removes it so be sure you only do that when you are totally sure you want to remove such a file.

If that was the only occurrence of that virus, then you should be clean. You should run another complete scan with AVG just to be sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.