I want light but a secure set-up

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cet, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I have been using Antivir premium and sygate pro for some time.I will not renew antivir's license.So I need a real time antispyware.I think it can be threatfire.I need a light and secure set-up.I think of 3 choices;(I have modem router firewall)
    1-Antivir free,threatfire,sygate pro is this light?
    2-Antivir free,threatfire,windows firewall is this secure enough?
    3-Antivir free,dynamic security agent,do I need windows firewall too?

Is anyone using one of the combinations?Any advices please.

2. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

If you are behind a router with hardware firewall then you maybe need (as I do) control applications network access only, then you will be OK with a good AV and a hips that control network access, start up folders etc and a anti-spyware on demand IF you are not a high risk user, dangerous surfer.

If DSA has network control I think you dont need windows firewall, you can rely on router and DSA. Alternatively you can install Antivir free + RTD(free) + sandboxie(free) with common sense and you will have a very light, free and secure set up.

Thats my opinion because I prefer "traditional hips" than behavior blockers (threatfire)

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Avira+Sandboxie+Imaging/full virtualization
    It doesn't get more secure than that and is very light.

4. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

First of all there are many and i mean many different setups,that provide high degree of security and are also very light,many solutions don't even imply the need for an anti virus.
    Just wanted to say as i'm sure others will add setups sugetsion that i've been using the above quoted combo for 1 year almost ,switching between sygate with kerio 2.15 from time to time(and i don't have a router),without problem,and with the pc running light.
    Switching for a while to vista got me trying other combo's,but the above combo it's definetly one of my favourites.
    Firefox +No script added to this will also reduce greatly the chances of infection.

5. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

n3 is strongest, no doubt.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you are confident in your ability to use a computer safely then just go antivir free + windows firewall.
    My current lightest setup is just using defensewall + windows firewall. I back that up with antivir free and superantispyware free for on demand scans only.

7. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

If you need free and light, I used to use the combo of Avira, Threatfire and Geswall.
    All 3 are free and no slow down on my system, which was old and underpowered.
    Good luck.
    Hugger

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I reside behind a router, but still want a firewall ONLY for notifying me of what is attempting to go 'outside'. I use older Outpost v2. My ruleset consists of Yes an d No.

I use Avira free, because even if an AV is not the best model of protection, it does consume few resources and does work.

I use LUA/SuRun as much as possible, still learning on that one. And I prefer to modify my security setup in the GP to make it a little less restrictive for myself. And I only use SRP on a few select things.

I use Kmeleon for 95% of my browsing, which can use the FF NoScript if desired.

I use Sandboxie for most surfing. Non-sandboxie surfing only to specific sites.

I lock down everthing I can in XP with reg tweaks and other such goodness, especially services.

I am selective in what I install. Everything that I don't implicitly know about usually goes into a vmWare box first so I can see what it is about. This not only may save nefarious programs from being installed on my system, but more than likely it saves an install of something that I don't really want, without leaving behind little pieces of registry clutter or file clutter. I use Threatfire or other apps like it on the vmWare box to get a feel for new apps possibilites.

This is as light as I feel I can get these days. I no longer care to spend soo much time managing a problem that has never manifested itself. Still, some common sense and a few choise security apps helps to give that 'Golden Parachute'.

Sul.

9. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Avira free, Cyberhawk, windows firewall, Superantispyware

10. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

You can also try DriveSentry with Comodo firewall/hips: they run very well in my pc.

11. thathagat

thathagat Guest

1.avast/avira free
    2.returnil
    3.paragon drive back up
    4.sense and sensibility

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i have ProcessGuard and DriveSentry at the moment and is really fast:thumb:

13. cet

cet Registered Member

Thanks for all your answers.
    I think I will stick with antivir and sygate pro.And add threatfire and try.If it uses too much resources I will uninstall threatfire and stay with only antivir and sygate.I have a router and also Opera is my default browser,I also use MVPS hosts file.So I think I am safe enough if I scan my PC with Superantispyware and malwarebytes antimalware once a week.I have paragon drive back-up express too.

14. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

If it needs to be free and light IMO you can use Sandboxie for your internet facing apps and is very secure at defaults but can be configured to be tight as a drum.Also since you have a router you can just use windows wall for a extra barrier. router with or with out windows wall would be the lightest then third party unless you need control of outbound.Also Avira can be installed in custom install minus the on access guard and used for on demand scans, scheduled scans.

15. ako

ako Registered Member

XP-firewall+router+Prevx (query for unknown on) + Defencewall.

Light and watertight! :)

16. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

... and this: AntiVir free, StartupMonitor free, RemoveAny, Windows firewall, SeconfigXP, SpywareBlaster;
    ... On Demand: MBAM, Hazard Shield; Antirootkits: RootAlyzer, KxRay, GMER.

All: FREE & LIGHTs!

PS. # No surfing to " specific " sites?... I surf on Wilders ... :-*:argh:
    ----# Read the Bible?...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.