I tried to adapt to Windows 8 but I can't!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, & 99 times out of a 100 the software on the shiny new hardware will run fine. I think the problems are when people upgrade their software on not so shiny older hardware.

2. d0t

d0t Registered Member

@berryracer

Did you try Classic Shell?

I still got no audio on my notebook lawl, but the thing that botherred me the most was that Metro stuff.

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I was at first very reluctant to change to Windows 8 Pro, but after receiving an offer allowing me to buy it for $14.99, I thought why the hell not!, and personally haven't looked back since, I just whiz through my daily work and stuff, and as for others hating the Metro Start, well if you know how to navigate it properly, then it's brilliant, especially if you know the short cut keys (these are available on Google, and Microsoft, I'm not going to run through them for you, learn it yourself, Lazy Arse :p ) Adding to the plus side, is it's ability to use far less in the way of resources,and the big space hog, Page File, as an example Windows 7 uses all 16GB RAM, while Windows 8 uses just 5GB of the 16GB in disk space. 16-5 = 11 more on Windows 7 (enough said) Anyway, learn it, and you'll love it!

4. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I bought a copy of Start8

You see, I managed to get around the interface quirks (ie. Metro) but my problem was something else

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Windows 8 is working fine for one on two laptops one is 6 years old, and the other is 3 years old. In time I will install it on another laptop which is 6 years old. So, in general I would say Windows 8 works fine on older hardware, just like Windows 7. With Vista there were problems on some computers, but this was not an issue with the age of the computers. On some brand new computers with Vista preinstalled, it ran terribly, on other it ran fine. As to why, I have no idea.

6. roger_m

Not much use to you since you're going back to Windows 7, but you should be able to use the driver for another HP printer.

7. Daveski17

Well, that sounds promising.

8. roger_m

Yes, it works remarkably well on old computers, noticeably better than Windows 7. It's good to see Microsoft continuing on from Windows 7 in releasing a new OS which does not need more powerful hardware to run.

On my six year old laptop, performance of Windows 8 is great even though the discrete graphics chip is fried, so I have to use the Intel graphics. Aside from the somewhat annoying Metro interface, Windows 8 is worth upgrading to.

9. Daveski17

I'll upgrade when I get new hardware no doubt. I'm in no hurry.

10. moontan

moontan Registered Member

you might need to upgrade if you use an old video card.

i sure did not get the same gaming framerate performance in W7 & W8.
    people with video cards 2-3 years old might not see a difference but if you are using something that's 4-5 years old you're likely to see one.

11. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Yes, it could seem a novelty for MS to come out with an OS that has lesser hardware requirements, but thinking that it was made for tablets, it's not strange, since tablets have much less horsepower than a desktop or even a laptop PC.

That's because Win8 doesn't have aero anymore, so no graphics acceleration needed for your interface. Imagine, that when Win7 was out people were saying "Finally, a modern interface, enough with the Fisher Price dated GUI, finally, transparencies and video accelerated interface, Linux had that for ages, welcome to the modern era".

Now that Win8 is out, you have people saying "Oh, this is so much better without transparencies and gpu acceleration, feels so much faster, so modern, XP is again in fashion!".

:rolleyes: :D

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The common becomes old and boring and the uncommon becomes new and exciting.

13. Fuzzfas

In deed, the truth is, most power users should just admit "i was bored with 7, i wanted to play witn 8".

Anyway, for me, Win7 is now entering its golden age and i very much prefer to see my wallpaper collection when i boot to windows, rather than MS Metro tiles. :D

14. moontan

one thing that drives me absolutely bonker is trying to activate Windows.

i bought my Win 8 upgrade download copy + the backup DVDs.
    you'd think that installing Windows 8 would be as easy as to enter your serial number when asked.

nope, you gotta install XP/Vista/W7 first.
    goodness forbid you buy a new drive in the future because you're gonna have to go through all this rigmarole once again. lol

15. Fuzzfas

This will be the SP1 for Win8:

a.jpg

"Faster than ever! No gpu acceleration, no transparencies, no tiles, classic as ever!" :D

If Win 9 comes out as "desktop only", people will be saying:

- "Oh, this is so much better than 8! I can't believe people were using that dinosaur of Win8!"

- Yeah, so glad i 've got aero back!

- Yeah, 8 was so ancient looking! Plus, who wants to see tiles, when he can see his beautiful wallpaper instead?

- Guys, didn't you miss transparencies?

- What i missed was having an OS designed for desktop!

- Yeah, can't believe how many were running tablet OS in their desktop. Gee!

- Yeah, 9 is so much better, 8 didn't have a "killer application" and let's admit it, it was having "i am tablet" writing over all over it.

- With 9 i feel like home again. 8 might have been faster, but, come on, you can't keep ancient GUI just because some people run 10 year old hardware.

- Exactly, did you try win+TAB, that now makes your 3D desktop rotate?

- Yeah, so cool! Linux had the cube thing for ages, it was about time MS did something else than... tiles.

- Dude, i m just glad i can do again things quickly with my mouse, who wants to use keyboard shortcuts? One-handed baby!

:D

16. roger_m

I'm not using any of my laptops for gaming. However performance issues may be a driver problem which will be fixed with driver updates, when the drivers are better optimized for Windows 8, based on a few articles I've read on the net.

But, if you have got an older machine, it is probably not the best for gaming anyway.

The onboard Intel X3100 graphics in my Vaio is working just fine for general tasks, and for what I'm using my 6 year old Vaio for I can honestly say that I have absolutely no need for a newer computer. If I was using it for gaming, or other CPU intensive tasks, then certainly a newer computer would be better, but for general use it runs flawlessly under Windows 8.

Edit: I will add that if it was not for the increased performance under Windows 8, then in my opinion the upgrade would be pointless unless you really want to use the Metro interface.

17. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

18. Fuzzfas

19. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I like StartIsBack for the Start menu replacement. It actually re-enables the original code so it doesn't feel like a hack like the other alternatives. It's only ~$3 for 2 pcs (I got it for $1 on black friday.)

20. moontan

i actually cried tears of joy when i heard they were gonna get rid of Aero.
    what a fugly thing that was. lol

21. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

But Windows 8 doesn't lack GPU acceleration. It actually forces GPU acceleration by a new version of the now mandatory Desktop Window Manager. It also supports stereoscopic 3D while Windows 7's DWM doesn't.

More information about these changes: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848042(v=vs.85).aspx

22. er34

er34 Guest

Can you post how you uninstall an OS (within 1 hour) ? You go to "Programs and features" or :D

All your posts show me you love to hate. If you gave yourself some time, if you really wanted to try the new Windows independently, if you really wanted to use it, then everything would have been fine and even small problems you might come across would easily be fixed (if you really wanted to).

The new OS is so much easier to use if you just give it 5 minutes and learn how to :thumb:

23. er34

er34 Guest

No, you don't really have to. Did you try these:
    http://www.wingadgetnews.com/change-key-activate-windows-8-enterprise/

slui 3 option ?

24. berryracer

No drivers is nothing I can live with (talking about my printer stranger) and the strange icons going blank

25. berryracer

3rd Attempt to use and KEEP Windows 8 :(

2 problems I am facing now

1) COM Surrogate Has Stopped Working errors randomly.

I haven't even installed anything yet. Just Windows updates...nothing else! What the heck

2) Internet Explorer 10 seems to lose all cookie sign ins upon restart I have to relogin to all my sites that I visit including forums and so

How can I Make this POS OS work right?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.