I think I've BLOWN it !!

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by Badcluster, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcluster

Badcluster Registered Member

I have the following problem:

After installing Arconis Partition Expert 2003 SE (German), i tried to partition my 40 GB HD. Once I'd set up the partition into 2 parts (20 GB for OS & 17GB for Personal Data) I hit the confirm button (Chequered Flag), while the tasks were running a message came up saying "reboot now" which I confirmed with YESThere arises the problem. After rebooting Arconis now tells me I have an unkown Primary Drive and attached to that is my 20GB C: drive. That partition (C:) is okay, but the second partition is missing even though the 17 GB HD space is being used. I'd like to get it back if I can. Could someone pleeeease help. I'm not prepared to format C: and intall everthing again.

In between I've downloaded the Arconis Report prog but who do I send it to.

One more thing is possible to switch my German version into English via an update ??

Help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Come through for me guys

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hi BC - Do you have the Acronis Recovery Expert tool? It will scan your disk for partitions that have disappeared from the partition table. If succesful you will be given a chance to put the partition-data back into the partition table.

3. Badcluster

My dear MiniMax The answer to your question is NO. Is Arconis Recovery Expert shareware, freeware or does one have to buy it ? If so where do I purchase/ download a trial version ?

Thanks again in forehand.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Badcluster,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Managing Software.

Please create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

You may download free trial version of Acronis disk Director Suite 9.0 with Acronis Recovery Expert included into it from our site. If Acronis Recovery Expert finds your lost partition you will be able to restore it with the full version of Acronis Recovery Expert. Furhtermore, since you have already puchased Acronis Partition Expert you may purchase upgrade to Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 at our on-line store. This will cost cheaper than new full version though it has the same functionality.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Badcluster

Apologises in taking so long in replying, but there have been a few developments since my last post.

1. I bought and registered Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0, but after installing and trying to get my free space back it did the same thing as Partition Expert 2003 in that it asked to reboot the system straight away before the process phase could start in the ADDS 9.0 windows interface ??

2. Thinking this may have been a gliche in Windows XP I tried the process again using the ADDS Boot CD which I'd made, only for it to boot up and show the following message to what ever option I chose: E000101F4:Acronis Disk Director Suite has detected unsupported hard disk drives. ADDS does not support Windows Dynamic Disks, EZ Drives etc.

What does all this indicate ??

My HDD is a Maxtor 4K040H2 (40GB)

Please help where possible.

6. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

> What does all this indicate ??

Hmm... No sure. It sounds like something is seriously wrong with the partition table(s). I am amazed that your C-partition is working at all :?:

How do you feel about manual editing the partition table? I know that Symantec have a version 1.0 of the PowerQuest Partition Table Editor (PTE) available for download somewhere (I grabbed it yesterday - the link was on a page discussing how to re-activate some Dell recovery software somewhere on this forum I believe).

I have no experience with partition table editing, but I would start by using the PTE to simply get a view of how the table looks. Perhaps you can get the same (or better) information using the Acronis Report Tool? Anyway, look at the table and try to understand how it matches the reality your see (e.g. a C-drive that works, but ADDS complaining about unsupported hard disk drives).

Next, see if you can grab a copy of the partition table (in its raw form), and save it on a diskette/USB stick. If PTE can not do that, check out BootIT NG. When you have secured a copy, you can attempt to fix the inconsistencies in the partition table using the PTE. If you are really, really lucky (or really, really good), ADDS will be able to make sense of the partition table, then mayby, just maybe, be able to recover your data.

PS: You should also buy a bottle of whiskey so you have something to drown yourself in if you loose the data....

Edit: Link to article discussing PTE
    http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/recover.htm

7. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Badcluster

Acronis does not support Dynamic Disks.

If you can do as
    Or Slave it.

You could then try and Convert the Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk, see post #9 :- main harddisk not supported

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Badcluster,

This problem needs to be investigated thoroughly. Could you please create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post? This will give us the detailed information on your disk structure and allow to investigate the problem.

As for exchanging language versions, could you please send us your serial numbers for Acronis Partition Expert 2003 and Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 Upgrade and we will help you to get English version for free.

Please indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Ilya Toytman.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. Badcluster

It worked, Damn it really worked. After continually writing & replying to Acronis support we finally realised what the problem was.

Roxio Go Back software was running at the same time conflicting with any HDD adjustment software(ADDS 9.0).

I guess the lesson of the day is "Read the FAQs before installing and carrying out tasks with new software"

Thanks Again IT

(you know who you are) :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.