I think I have discovered a virus on my pc that NOD32 doesn't detect.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Power_Surge, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Or possibly a ridiculous fragmentation issue within the games file/folder structure. Every patch would normally cause at least some fragmentation... :)

2. Power_Surge

Power_Surge Registered Member

Have you people read all the posts in this topic? I clearly said it happens in other games too.

3. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

So do you think the problem with your games might be related to the WMF patch? If so, you might try my earlier suggestion.

I'm through participating in this thread, so try it or don't.

4. NOD32 user

Well sure but that doesn't mean that it either is or isn't a virus, is or isn't related to the WMF patch, is or isn't related to fragmentation, drivers or some defective patch(es) from the games vendor(s).
    You've asked for some help, you've had some suggestions. I guess if you already knew the answer you wouldn't have come here for assistance.
    I for one don't know the answer yet myself but I'm glad to see some people take the time to offer some thoughts to try and help you to sort your problem out.
    Why not go ahead and try some of the other things suggested if you haven't already... :)

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Yes, but
    1. You haven't tried another AV, Kaspersky's web based scanner was suggested twice, to see if it detects something, if neither NOD or KAV come up with anything I would say chances are pretty good it isn't a virus.

2. While it may be affecting other games I am quite sure there are other people on this forum that play WoW and none have reported such a problem before. NOD is quite popular among gamers so I am sure someone would have posted here or in another thread. You do have something in common with all the other people in the WoW thread that you posted, you have the same game. The best I could tell from reading that thread none of them use or at least none state that they are using NOD, in fact two say they are using Norton, so just among you three people, there are 2 different AVs having the same problem which would lead most people to think it wasn't the AV that is causing the problem. Since you also installed a new hdd and reinstalled windows, I would lean toward a programming glitch of some type probably related to the WMF patch, it may even be in how the game/s are interacting with DirectX or OpenGL with the patch installed that is causing the problem but I doubt it is related to NOD. Try another AV just to scan with as suggested or even just trial another AV for a few days and see if it is NOD. There are plenty of AVs out there with 30 day trials so it won't cost you anything.

6. Power_Surge

Ok. I figured out what the problem was - and it wasn't NOD32 (sorry :oops: ). And it definately wasn't a harddrive problem - to people who told me to buy a new hard disk - you owe me a $100! :D I now have two perfectly good hard disks... o_O

If anyone interested I can tell you what the problem was, although it won't be very relevant to this forum. :cool:

7. NOD32 user

I'd say go ahead and post the solution now that the thread has run it's course - for completion :)

8. Power_Surge

Ok. As always the simplest explanation is the correct one. Now remember that buzzing sound that I said I also heard when my pc powered down? Can you guess what is was? That's right - hard disk powering down! :) Why would it constantly power down and up again when I play graphics-intensive games? The key-word here is "power". It seems the video card consumed so much power that there wasn't anything left for the rest of the system, including the hard disk. It seems my psu was going down fast.

So I took out my old 400W generic psu and put in this baby:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/520/antec2fb.jpg

Problem solved.

9. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Should have bought an even bigger power supply then you could have run both hard drives and not wasted $100(lol)
    Joking aside how many pieces of hardware are you running on your PC a 9800 pro isn't THAT power hungry(9800xt yes! and ati only reccomend a 300w and above for that!)400w should be adequate for nearly all PC's

10. alglove

alglove Registered Member

D'ohhhhh.... nice find, Power_Surge! :)

Kind of an ironic name you have there, now that I think about it.

11. Power_Surge

Don't think I've seen psu's bigger than 550W. I gues power consumption varies from game to game. And I was told that most generic psu's run at about 60% of their advertised power...

12. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Glad you figured it out, sorry it took so long. Enjoy your game now. Sorry we couldn't be of more help.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I was thinking about buying this one.
    newegg.com

14. Power_Surge

Just don't forget - the bigger psu the more noice/heat it produces.

15. alglove

alglove Registered Member

In many instances, yes, but not always. It also depends on the efficiencies of the power supplies. For example, suppose you have to supply 210W of power to your computer. A cheap power supply that is only 60% efficient will have to draw 350W from the wall to supply the 210W to the computer. The wasted 140W is given off as heat. On the other hand, a higher quality power supply that is 75% efficient only has to draw 280W, giving off 70W of waste heat.

Most power supplies have a certain wattage range of maximum efficiency. Go too far above or below this range, and the power supply loses efficiency. The very worst area is usually near the maximum rated wattage of the PSU.

16. Power_Surge

It maybe true for the heat but the noice level only depends on power, not efficiency. For example for 550W even Antec's Quite Technology can't get it under 21Db.

17. ChosenTrojanKiller

ChosenTrojanKiller Registered Member

Hey dude, Just recently i discovered a similar sound that my hard drive makes. Mine sounds more like the hard drive labouring physically than a buzzing. I took the cover off the pc, blew out any dust or clutter from inside the box and cleaned the cooling vents in the back and sides. The noise has gone completely and the comp seems to run more efficiently. Also, i would do a small RAM check to make sure that the video card is running to optimum specs for your pc set up. If the hard drive is constantly reading, it sounds like a [MOVE]RAM[/MOVE] problem that won't be fixed by a super expensive tricked out video card. Try that :cool:

18. ChosenTrojanKiller

ChosenTrojanKiller Registered Member

oh, and I think we've nailed that the problem is not with NOD32.

19. Power_Surge

I don't have any problems... :) Not anymore.

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

As the original poster has the solution to his problem, this thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.