"I, Robot" screensaver a nasty bit of spyware at best.

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by dionisiog, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dionisiog

dionisiog Registered Member

A warning:
    Many of you who like science fiction will be tempted to try the "I, Robot" screensaver available through download.com 279MG. I highly recommend that you pass it by. I started to install it and received a warning about spyware (QuickSearch). I canceled the installation but it was too late. Software was installed that took me the whole night to remove going through my drives and registry. Adaware & even the latest version of Spyblaster will not help you with this one. It makes your computer run like trash and immediately goes to the net. It is self-replicating and appears to act more like a virus or trojan. A less experienced person might end up formatting their hard drive to get rid of this one. I hope I can save others that pain.

Enjoy the weekend.

Here's a link to a download page:
    hxxp://www.download.com/I-Robot-Screensaver/3000-2390-10301047.html

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I ean into a site for very different things where was a promotion for the same I-Robot; i do block activeX (have it prompting for permission) and all that, but immediately got a message i needed to install the new Virtual Machine.
    No thanks, i was off and lot of scans further just to be sure before rebooting and scan again.
    So watch out for the promotions for it with the small video display. No thanks!
    Very bad promotion bringing people into trouble with their promotions alone and it really is on many serious sites even for security software.

3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Disgusting.

Strangely appropriate, though, considering how different the movie is from what one would expect...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.