I quit !!!!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by root, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Chew
    i do hope you prove your friend wrong but i do wonder because i quit for 15 years and started again and even after 15 years they tasted good and i was hooked again so i smoked 2 more years and i'm happy to say ive been quit for another year now and i will be very afraid that i will always be a smoker and i will never even take a drag from one again because i ( for myself) know better but yes you are absolutely right the first 2 weeks are hardest and you will be fine have a good night
    rita :)

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Take care of your health; you have no right to neglect it, and thus be a burden to yourself and perhaps to others.

3. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Not to take anything away from the purpose of this thread (How're you doin', Root?), I have to take exception to your post, Nadirah.

My health is mine , to be tended or neglected as I wish. I, and only I, have the right to be a burden to myself ... and this goes for every man, woman and child. If someone else chooses to burden themselves with me (when I become too old and feeble to prevent it), then that's their choice ... and problem. I definitely won't make it easy for them!

4. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:D It is simply amazing how things will pop up! Root my friend, I'm 43 days into no smoking anymore and today was one of the hardest of all, like cochise I started at an early age and now over 40 years later I'm trying to quit. Thanks for the Thread of hope.
    ;)

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

I know that smoking is a very private thing for the individual, so no lectures from me, except to say good luck to all in their endeavours to quit. :)

I am one of the lucky ones I suppose, hated smoking from a very early age, even though my father and 5 brothers, all smoked [1 quit a couple years back].

I never took it up. :blink: Never will now at my age, ROFL...

GOOD LUCK ROOT AND ALL OTHERS

Cheers, TAS

6. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

GOOD LUCK AND PRAYERS OF HEALTH AND STRENGTH TO ALL WHO ARE FIGHTING TO FIND THEIR TRUE SELVES!!!

Nadirah, As hard as it is to believe, you can't control or live another's life, it takes many people years to learn that in the long run, people have to learn life's lessons on their own. But, you can and should support them, let them know you care!!

Take care all!

Marja:cool:

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Quit the dreaded weed about 15 years ago after smoking up to 60/day. Having two small children was the impetus to quit as the dangers of passive smoking were just about coming through.

My father died a very painful death due to lung cancer and smoking and yet I was not put off!!!!

Feel healthier now, but put on weight as soon as I packed up the dreaded weed, which I have not managed to take off again!!!! Overweight yet I can breathe!

Hope your general health gets better, Root, and you have made the right decision.

8. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

to quit smoking is probably as hard as trying to stay on a long term diet. i smoked ages ago and forced to quit when i became highly allergic to the smoke - still am. good luck and stay the course to all those trying to quit. i hope u all trying succeed.

http://img5.exs.cx/img5/8652/peachesname.gif

9. AlainOO

AlainOO Guest

First time I share my experience on the Internet about what's happened to me about a years ago... Hope this will help some of you to have an additionnal reflexion about cigarettes and life... (sorry for my english...)

End of February 2003 : My mother (age:61, smoker for about 40 years) announced that she had a lung cancer.

March: Further tests showed that her cancer was also in their bones in her shoulders, probably elsewhere. Doctors could do nothing but try to slow the desease and lower the pain. She began to take morphine that's made her feel really bad, lose appetite, slept too much, having problem to breath... She began to panic, was afraid to suffer. The more she smoked being so stress by what she live (very terriffying !) the more she was anxious (cause nicotine is a powerful anxioulitic if you didn't know). The idea of leaving life was very hard for her...

April : More and more stressed and anxious, she was rather paranoid about the evolution of her cancer, lot of fears about metastatics and so on...
    She developped very dark ideas...

May 20 2003 : she learned that her cancer was now in the cerebellum, where so many essentials mechanisms of the body are ruled...

May 23 2003 : In the evening, I received a call from the police, about my mother... She commited suicide the night before, in her car (gas... and medications), alone, with a pack of cigarettes beside her and a little flash light to see what she was doing, with a single letter telling to call me and mentionning she wanted to die with dignity...

I do not intend here to play with your emotions, but with your imagination.
    Would you like to end that way ? Do you ask yourself, like me, how she did that, what was her toughts, all she had to leave behind her ? The loved ones, her projects and so on ?
    I love life.
    What is easier to quit, cigarette or life ?
    So sad....

I will always have this strong image in my souvenirs for the rest of my life :
    when I went to her house (she was living alone) after that and I saw her slippers beside the bed... and the silence...

10. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi
    I am so very sorry.i dont know what else to say -so very sorry
    rita

11. AlainOO

AlainOO Guest

Thanks ritaann

I was just hoping to share my experience (it seem so long ago !) and put my 2 cents in the discussion by giving some strong images to those who maybe need that little extra motivation to quit smoking. Because it doesn't always happen to others.
    Imagination is one of the greatest power of the human mind.
    I just think that if more people share their experience (mostly what they learn positive from it) the world would be a better place to live...

Have a nice weekend !

12. Shae

Shae Registered Member

Root,

That is good you kicked the ciggies. I wish you could talk to my sister, she still smokes; has been since she was about 12 years old and she's nearing 40. (Don't worry, my sister isn't into PCs like me. So, she won't see that I mentioned her age. ;) ) Anyway, hang in there!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.