I Need To Access my Internet Options

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by haname, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haname

haname Registered Member

I have Spybot S&D installed, as well as HijackThis. I used the Immunize feature of S&D, and when I attempted to access the streaming charts at the CBOT for real-time Dow Jones prices, things got hung up. It was the site wanting to install ActiveX, and my system wouldn't allow it. I cannot access Internet Options to control ActiveX. If I install SpyBlaster, will this correct this problem?

Should I add Spyblaster to my Spybot, or do I need to uninstall Spybot first?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You can use Spybot's Immunize function again to regain access to your Internet Options... menu. Just open Spybot (in advanced mode) and go to the Immunize screen and uncheck the option shown in the image:

[​IMG]

SpywareBlaster will not correct this option, however, it is fully compatible with Spybot. Notice in the above image Spybot even recommends SpywareBlaster.

3. haname

haname Registered Member

Thanks! I take it that you recommend that the other two boxes are checked, as shown in the image?

I did find your forum through following that link in Spybot. I have XP and clicked on the minimal install, but the page wouldn't display. Is it still recommended that XP users use the minimum install?

Thanks for your help.

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Just to make sure - remember Javacool made "SpywareBlaster" which is wonderful stuff while "Spyblaster" is made by some folks that Detox personally considers rather "shady characters."

5. LowWaterMark

Posted recycled as I re-read part of the above question...

Well, that actually is a screen image made from my system and yes, that is the way I have those set, but you should know that those options are not terribly powerful ones. They are just useful misc settings. The Hosts file lock can actually be overridden by some malware without too much of an issue and the other two settings only effect you (or other users) sitting at the PC using the IE > Tools... options. But they can't hurt to be set.

What download are you talking about exactly? SpywareBlaster does not have a minimum install kit. SpywareGuard does. If you were talking about SpywareGuard, then this is true:

The minimum install is recommended for XP users, however that download is not available anywhere at the present time. Only the full kit is available right now and even that is only available at the BTN Mirror noted in this thread. (Only that download link works currently and you'll get the full kit from it.)

Detox,

Good point. I'm just so used to people calling SpywareBlaster by so many different (but incorrect) names that I just read over that part without even thinking about it.

"Spyblaster" is not a Javacool product and is not recommended by Spybot. But SpywareBlaster is!

6. haname

haname Registered Member

Thanks for the correction on SpywareBlaster. It's installed, I don't understand why it automatically checks some items and leaves some unchecked and set off in red.

Something that was a bit disconcerting was the fact that Spybot gave me a warning the first time I tried to download SpywareBlaster. ?

7. LowWaterMark

SpywareBlaster does not have some checked by default... You ran Spybot S&D first and it sets some items covered by SpywareBlaster. They "overlap" a bit, but SpywareBlaster covers more items.

What warning? The author of Spybot highly recommends SpywareBlaster. What warning was it? Exactly what was the message? It may be that you misunderstood what it meant.

8. haname

haname Registered Member

I don't know what the warning was, maybe as you say I didn't understand what was going on. It may be that something else was running at the same time, because I did close that window to start over and there was a popup ad there. It may have had something to do with the popup. I get very few now.

There were just a few strange things happening last night, such as my home page was redirected to something else one time, but my HijackThis log was clean. And there was that popup ad.

But things seem okay at the moment. :)

Thanks for your help :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.