I Need Some Help Here

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Prince_Serendip, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hello everyone!

It's been a long while but here goes. I got this message in my webmail (Yahoo), forwarded from a family member. It came with a gif attachment. I did not open the attachment because I never do unless arrangements are made ahead of time. It looks suspicious to me. Perhaps too good to be true? (I have it still in my trash folder if you want a copy of it.) I have sent a plain text response to it to ask if they really did send this to me. (I send and receive only in plain text.) I've tried searching it in the AV databases.

Tell me what you think about this. Thanks in advance.

Best regards from Larry :)

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Larry,

It probably came from a site like this one:
    http://mrmom.amaonline.com/special/Iamsorry.htm

Which, of course is still no reason to trust it, but as long as .gif is the real extension, you should be fine.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Thanks Pieter!

Looks like you found it alright. You can never be too careful. I am sending my reply out on "our little family network" which says in essence: Hey! If you send me nice surprises in my email, I will delete them! Tell me first. I hate getting forwarded material from outside sources.

Feel more relief here now. It could be innocent, but what if it isn't?? This is exactly how virus writers grab your attention and get you to open attachments. That's what made me so suspicious.

I have also gotten emails with attachments from microsoft.net on the latest patches. I was not expecting those either. I deleted them. If I want patches I will go get them myself.

Here are some tips from F-Secure. I have sent these to my family.

I knew you could help. Thanks so much! :)

From Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.