I need silents programs

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kwakest, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kwakest

Kwakest Registered Member

I use Comodo PF, good firewall but I have a big problem : it talk too much ! it's not a problem for me, I know what to answer to his question BUT my wife and my children click ACCEPT or DENY without thinking o_O .
    I search a firewall that I can configure one time then go on secure mode without asking a question, it block a program if it doesn't have the good rule
    I'm also thinking of changing my firewall with tdifw (good and basic) or Ghostwall and buy an HIPS, but I need an HIPS that I can configure once then NO MORE QUESTIONS
    Sorry for my english and please save my PC
    PS : I can't change my wife nor my children (not a good solution...)
    PS2 : As you can see, I always use ShadowUser to protect my PC against my evil children (4 and 8 years)

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Disable: Enable Alerts, Component Control & Aplication Behaviour and you will get no popups.
    Or you can try Outpost Firewall, which do the same in its Block All mode (password protection).

3. Kwakest

I always saw this option and I say : "Oh yes" BUT some popup disappear but not all.
    In a program (Irfanview), I click on 'About' then 'Visit Homepage', Comodo block without popup, it's ok
    With RocketDock, I have a popup "Rocket has modified the user interface of the parent explorer.exe by sending special message" :'(
    Not the good solution (why ? A bug)
    Another idea ? A good Hips with the no popup option ? :-*

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've been using Faronics Anti-Executable. Basically i set up the computer how i want it, then run AE in stealth mode. Silent and safe.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Prevx1 (HIPS) is quite silent.

6. Kwakest

Thanks Farmelee, I search information about Faronics Anti-Executable and it looks great. I search program with white-list, I love white-list. I have downloaded Faronics and I'll try it soon
    Thanks WSFuser, I'll try Prev1x too

7. farmerlee

Faronics AE is great if you don't make system changes too often. Its also quite light only using around 10mb of ram.

8. damjan

damjan Registered Member

Kwakest, i thing, CPF have option to set firewall to High level security and i thing then is blocked all except programs and traffic you set it to allow.

Hope that helps.

Greetings

Damjan

9. Kwakest

DAMJAN : the problem is not to block, the problem is to block silently (without asking popup)

I test the two programs and I prefer Faronics AE : light, whitelist but waouh it's very strict. And it's not a real whitelist that I can see. It's a two state program : I don't add a new allowed program, I disable AE, install a program, then enable AE and all the program installed between disable-enable are allowed ! Now I'll try it at house with my children (good test) and my wife (hardest test)
    Now, if I use Faronics AE and a simple silent firewall (tdifw,Ghostwall), I don't know if a enabled program want to access to internet without reason. With basic firewall, I can block port but if this program use allowed port, I don't know if it goes out. How to keep a trace of the programs using the network ?
    So, how can I silently block all programs except whitelist to access the network ?:cautious:

10. Kwakest

Comodo new release is arrived :D
    I hope they correct the bug

11. farmerlee

You're definitely gonna need a firewall with application filtering then. You could try ZA, you can set what programs are allowed to access the net then lockdown the firewall so only apps you have specified have access, anything else is blocked.

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I use a complete silent SensiveGuard, see review https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=161749&highlight=SensiveGuard

You have the options Allow, Ask and Deny on user initaited and other traffic (general and specific programs)

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You can turn off component and behaviour. Then you open all the programs (one by one), and allow/deny what you want, with the option to remember checked. You loose something, but not so important.
    Install Prevx1, in ABC. This one can take care of what was left uncovered above IMO. Leave Avast!
    Done.

This is one way, and my opinion of course... not bulletproof.

edit: Try leaving component on, to see if it's ok. This should be on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.