I need replacement for RBRx...SP or Paragon or ATI?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by fce, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I know.

2. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

You referred to the earlier thread with your comment about defrag.

You went from 1/2 to 1/3 the time. I don't believe 1/2 or 1/3. ATI has worked fine for me and our systems, and it has worked flawlessly for years. SP is overpriced as well.

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I also do full backups with SP basically because im not sure if ill lose any data any other way.What would be the best way to use shadow protect?.I have 2 full backups at present,which i usually rollback to (after testing software and not liking it usually) using the restore boot disk.Is there an easier better and quicker way which is just as safe?.My full backup usually takes about 20 mins too.
    ellison

4. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Bunkhouse Buck

Previously I used TI 10 and was reasonably happy with it,but SP is more reliable and faster.
    My backup speed with SP is 3gb/minute-yours with TI is less than 1gb/sec.
    Speeds of course are largely dependent on computer power.

Anyway,your speeds are too low for TI-suggest one reason is the USB connection-there have been reported problems with that.
    An alternative would be to connect to SATA-should be faster.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm almost sure, you are not going to like my recovery solution. I will ask you one question : are you willing to separate your system and data completely ?
    If the answer is NO, my solution won't work for you and any further explanation of my recovery solution is useless to you then. :)

6. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

like erik suggest and i totaly agree and use same mehod... why waste time and HD working on backup ALL data over and over again?? why not only latest chanages u made to your FULL BACKUP stuff??

coz our belove FDISR reminated i think use DIFF or INC backup can cut the time for daily backup procedure .

as far as i found the fastest program to backup is SP and the fastest to restore is DS , i got my numbers here if someone have doubt

chers

7. fce

fce Registered Member

guys can i create back up of my drive C .....and save my back up to drive C also.

PS. i only have one partition.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not with an imaging program like Shadow Protect. Invest in an external USB drive. They are cheap.

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just wondering what problem you get with rollback and KIS8? I have both programs running with no problems.

10. fce

fce Registered Member

everytime i restore my snapshot, kis8 keeps repairing/reinstalling.

i cant loose kis8 compare to rollbackrx.

11. fce

fce Registered Member

how about in other partition?

also, do you know any software that can create partition?

thanks!

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-personal/
    paragon partiton manager. if you decide to go the paragon route for both i reccomend buying the product seprately rather than buying the suite. better user interface this way.

my old pc haas only C: with everything system+ documents and takes ages to backup to an external usb drive.
    my new pc has two hard drives internal.
    drive one C: 50gb F: rest of drive for documents. ignore the drive letter i used to have a 10gb partiton that was labeled D: was gonna be used for dual boot. so i kept the F: drive letter.
    second drive 250gb hard drive Z: for backups.
    may at some point get a third drive so i have a dedicated drive for data dedicated drive for system and one for backup.

13. fce

fce Registered Member

any free software like GP...i forgot the name....

i'll do only basic partitioning and i dont need that kind of high end software from paragon.

14. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  15. fce

fce Registered Member

16. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

my vote goes for Parted Magic from symantec which can be totaly trusted

chers

17. fce

fce Registered Member

thanks....

any final advise before i do the partitioning?....basically i'll use it for my data.

18. ellison64

If its easy to do and wont mess up my system then sure i would do it.I should say that i use shadowprotect solely as a safeguard for software installs that go wrong or that ive tried ,tested and discarded rather than for backing up irretrievable information (I have cds and copies of cds for that sort of backup).I made a separate partition (D)and keep the shadowprotect full backups on there ,and nothing else.
    ellison

19. ellison64

I used vistas built in disk management to create a partiton.It worked fine,though after i performed the partition i googled and read that there could be problems using it .I guess the experts here would know more about whetehr this is true or not though.
    ellison

20. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

These days with ever cheaper external USB disks,i would'nt take risk of losing the full backups in case of harddisk going south. ;)

21. ErikAlbert

Saving your image on the same partition ? That is the worst thing you can do.
    If your system is heavily corrupted or a disk crash, you have no access to your images either to restore your system.
    Use an USB external HDD to keep your images and keep it off-line.

22. ErikAlbert

Ellison64,
    I think you better start a new thread, something like "How to separate system from data ?" Otherwise you will mess up this thread. Separating system from data is a preparation to make the usage of Image Backup, File Backup and Immediate System Recovery easier and more EFFICIENT in the future. Your data will always be an obstacle if you want absolute freedom in your system partition.
    There are alot of differences between system files and data files, if you think long enough about it. :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  23. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

To separate depend on how big are your personal files,if you image the whole disk with a few office files on it,i would'nt bother and image everything anyway. If you have quite a lot of pictures and video files then its more convenient to split and do separate backups for your personal data.

24. ErikAlbert

If I had so many graphical files, I would create 2 data partitions :
    1. A non-graphical data partition = documents, spreadsheets, emails, ...
    2. A graphical data partition = pictures, movies, ...
    BUT I will always separate my system from data, even when my data volume is insignificant. I want my freedom in my system partition. I can delete or zero my system partition completely without losing any data-file and that is important to me.

25. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

But in case you image the disk with system/ data together,your pers. data is in the image,so not to be worried,you will lose nothing.

Don't get me wrong i too split because my pers. data is huge its already 1200 gig.(mostly image files)and imaging only windows and programs is just a few minutes. BTW i have no pers. data on my system disk,its all on a second internal disk and on quite a few ext.USB disks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.