I need help!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Dondo, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dondo

Dondo Registered Member

Hallo everyone, I just registered today seeking assistance on an error with my NOD AV set up. I am getting the error 'error occured during communication with NOD32 kernel service'. It has been working fine upto today. I did a registry scan using CCleaner and also downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. When I access the NOD32 on demand scanner, it starts ok.

Please assist me to rectify the problem. Thanks.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Have you tried reinstalling EAV? Couldn't it be that you have a security software installed that prevents ekrn.exe from loading? It could also be that some malware has disabled it; are you able to start the ekrn service manually?

3. Dondo

Dondo Registered Member

Marcos, I am really 'green' on what the problem might be! I forgot to say that I also installed another software 'Online Armor' because I do online banking and I thought I needed extra protection. As you realize, I may have done something wrong. So what do I do now Marcos?

4. Dondo

Dondo Registered Member

...and to also add I do not have the EAV original CDs with me...how do I resolve this? I am on skype if someone can help me...

5. Dondo

Dondo Registered Member

...and to add some more information, I am able to start NOD32 On-demand scanner manually...

6. Dondo

Dondo Registered Member

I had NOD and spybot installed before today. It worked perfectly fine.
    Today, I installed CC cleaner, Malwarebytes Anti-malware and Online Armor, and the error pops up...do you think some of the software has interefered with NOD? Advise please.

7. Marcos

I reckon Spybot can block egui.exe at least if not configured properly. Does it work with Spybot uninstalled? As for EAV, you can download it from the Download page using your username and password.

8. Dondo

Dondo Registered Member

Marcos, I reversed what I had done before today i.e. uninstalled Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Online Armor, and it now works fine! I tried first by unistalling Malwarebytes and it didnt work. Only after I unistalled Online Armor then NOD works fine without the error popping up. Thanks for your help.

Are there other ways I can protect myself if I do online banking or is NOD sufficient? I have NOD32 v2.7.

9. Marcos

I'd strongly recommend upgrading to EAV (v3) which has better detection capabilities than v2.

10. Dondo

Dondo Registered Member

Thanks Marcos, I would like to do the upgrade. How do I go about it? Give me some clear steps so that I dont make mistakes. Thanks.

11. Marcos

1, Uninstall v2 and restart the computer (installation over v2 is supported, but it's always better to uninstall it manually first to avoid potential problems)

2, download ESET NOD32 Antivirus from our download page using your username and password. Make sure you don't download ESET Smart Security (includes antispam and firewall) which requires a different license for an additional fee.

3, install ESET NOD32 Antivirus

12. Dondo

Dondo Registered Member

Thanks Marcos, I will do that. I will get in touch if I have more questions. The other thing is I know my username for upgrading but I cant remember my password! Is there a way to retrieve it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.