I need help because I did a stupid thing...

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by museheart, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. museheart

museheart Registered Member

OK...a long time ago, at least a couple of program updates ago, I had a problem getting rid of a hijacker. I think it was Searchforit. Spybot couldn't remove it so I went into the registry and removed the setting.

The problem I have had for a long time is that every time I update Spywareblaster, it says all problems are fixed (covered) except one. When I immunize with Spybot, the same thing. But I can't find anything disabled.

Can some one help me? :'( I did take a snapshot when I installed the newest version of Spwareblaster.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Museheart,

When looking at Spywareblasters protection status....which one of the two protections is showing one item not protected....Internet Explorer or Restricted Sites protection ?

3. museheart

It says Internet Explorer has one item disabled, Bubba.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Ok....to further narrow it down....in regards to the Internet Explorer protection....are you using both of it's features....ActiveX and Cookie protection....meaning both boxes checked ?

Attached Files:

5. museheart

Yes, Bubba, they are. And before you ask me what happens when I enable the protection, it still comes up with one ...like I said in the first post.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hmmm....wasn't going to ask that and My wife is the only one that can read my mind :cool:

What I was going to ask was pick one of those 2 protections....and uncheck it. If it still shows as one protection disabled....uncheck the other one. If it's still there....We'll go a little deeper. Trying to narrow down which protection has a possible bad entry :doubt:

Also....don't for get to select Remove Protection for Unchecked items after you uncheck eack of them.

7. museheart

:D Sorry Bubba, I didn't mean to try to read your mind.

OK, I unchecked the first one then went through and individually checked each activeX - everything was correct in the status until I clicked - that button that says enable all security, or whatever.

So, then I went and did the same thing with the cookies.

It is in the ActiveX.

Now what? o_O

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thinking out loud: :doubt:

Since you are able to apply the ActiveX protection to all the entries(except 1)....that tells me you have Admin privilegies and are able to write to the Local_Machine portion of the registry. :doubt:

At the moment....the only thing I can suggest is for you to export the below reg key name in bold....and either attach that saved .reg file to a post(change the extension to .txt before uploading)....or you can e-mail me the file and I will have no problem taking a look at it to see if I can duplicate the problem on my PC and\or find the bogus entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility

I would hope it would go without saying....but I'll add it anyway....there is only ActiveX component CSLID's info contained in that bold reg key....nothing personal....or I would not have suggested the above send methods.

Regards,
    Bubba

9. museheart

I am confused. o_O

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Help me out here....which part are you confused about :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.