I need a replacement virus protection for my Nod32 V2.7

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tomas99, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomas99

Tomas99 Registered Member

Hi,

I need a replacement virus protection for my Nod32 V2.7 (was absolutely happy with it) that Eset now have unfortunately dropped support for a while back.

I have tried there newer version but it's not possible to get it to just to look on the files on the harddrive and "let go" of my internet connection.
    I have not managing any settings that prevent it from fiddle with what's going on the network and my e-mail and browser client.

Also bought a Kaspersky 2012 antivirus which is impossible to prevent from phoning home all the time and if you block it, every stuff you are trying to do on the net goes slow.

So is there out any good antivirusprogram that are not totally messed into the internet connection and also does not phoning home the whole time?

I want to decided when I want to do updates and what programs are allowed out.

Do on-line gaming among other things and want my bandwidth for things like that.

-Tomas

2. woomera

woomera Registered Member

Re: I need a replacement virus protection for my Nod32 V2.7,

i dont understand, what u mean but "they phone home"?
    like as in they call you? for what? what do they want?
    as for internet browsing performance uncheck the heuristic option in kaspersky web guard and exclude you game folders in general setting tab.

but if you want a more hassle free AV go with EAM, emsisoft anti malware.
    it doesnt have firewall capabilities but for that u could always just use buit-in windows firewall(if u r on 7) or you could give Comodo a try.

3. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Your pretty much out of luck as most AV companies these days scan internet or have a cloud feature that calls home. Only one I know of that does not is Avira anti-virus free. It only scans locally and to my knowledge have no cloud functioning and can be set to update only on user command. It has a small pop-up because its free, but you can disable that quite easy by looking up “disable avira free pop-up"

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Most recent AVs nowadays phone home. This is not for pleasure but for security. Most security tool use the cloud and need the cloud to function properly. So, reputable/advanced security software need the base to efficiently protect you.

Your quest is to find a tool you can trust and don't need to baby sitting everytime it needs to connect. As the approach makes no sense especially considering its your first line of defense. :thumbd:

Also, most reputable security tools have "Game Mode" options to avoid what you describe.

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

^^^^^ yup. almost everyone of them does. there really is soon going to not be any programs imo that dont, regardless of type. even now it was discovered that windows 8 tells microsoft everything you do and install (even though they deny it the person who found it offered to help them fix it without a second response) so sadly you will soon not have a choice with things like that. many av's now you cant even update offline anymore so if you dont have a internet connection your out of luck.

6. Tomas99

@woomera,
    "Phone home" eq constantly making connections to manufacture of product even when no activity on the computer should require that.

@CubonesCastle,
    Thanks! :thumb:
    Avira works as I want to after test, do you know if the pay version work the same or have they included stuff in that version that ruins the moment? ;)

@fax,
    Nope the anti-virus software is not the first line of defence, a external firewall do that "duty" :)

@zfactor,
    Yep it´s a sad state of affairs, one can only hope that some companies see that there are a big market up for grabs caring/respecting the customer privacy.

---

Many thanks for the replies all.

As I heard some one say, "If it´s free you and your information are the product they really are selling".
    (but maybe not in the Avira case ;) )

-Tomas

7. Taliscicero

Avira are a company that won't sell your data. The whole reason they give the product away for free is to get people to buy the full version when they find out they like the free. Its funny because you don't want web protection which is exactly what they give you as an extra in the full version, so the free one will work perfectly for your needs. I would say for your set-up that getting the pay-for version would only cause you issues and you should be very well off with just the free one. :thumb:

8. fax

fax Registered Member

You missed the point. LOL If you are concerned about privacy then you should move to another OS not another antivirus. If instead you are concerned about bandswitch (strange.... since normally is not a problem in your country) then you should use, for example, Game Mode.

Kaspersky should have that and normally in this mode pop-ups and connections/updates are suspended. Isn't it the case? o_O

What does not make sense is to quest for suboptimal protection just for privacy concern. Like to say, I am not concerned by malware stealing my identity and money but I care about my AV not respecting my privacy. :D Btw, AVIRA retail will soon include cloud protection too.

9. Taliscicero

Not on free, free is signatures only.

He also said that he cared about bandwith and not privacy, what are you the spanish inquisition? He wants his protection the way he wants it and you should not try to bully him into your way of thinking. I also wish to point out the Kaspersky IS has cloud protection that is "Always" running even in game mode. I also think he wishes for a simple program and not one that drags your system like Kaspersky does, this is specifically true to gaming which he has already made clear that his interest is in. :rolleyes:

10. fax

fax Registered Member

In fact I said Avira retail, please mind to read my message? :D He also specifically asked about AVIRA paid. Thats why I provided an answer about it :thumbd:

I find really weird that cloud is active (connections wise) even in Game Mode. If this is the case then it should be reporting it to Kaspersky as an issue to fix or improve in future versions (although the band used by the service is minimal). In any case, the OP should comment if he/she has used it.

On the rest, I am not bullying. Just trying to remove the FUD about security companies looking for valuable information from customers. It has been discussed before. The risk at stake its too high and their market focus is protection of users not spying on private data. It does not make business sense at all + they risk to go out of the market in a flash ;)

Unfortunately, I see so many users messing up with their security solutions, spending the time to block their security tools rather than spending time in learning how their software actually works and how to block the real threats out there. With the end result of less security, instable system and all sort of problems (e.g. the OP and the slow operations). This is the wrong way to approach the problem. :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

Probably the OP will not care... so peace and music forever. :D

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  11. Taliscicero

I am exactly the opposite. I don't believe in sacrificing computer performance for security. Its quite possible to get 99.99% protection by running a good internet security and having all your system/program updates done. I don't see the point in anything else. I could very well load up (Superantispyware/Malwarebytes/EmsisoftAM/NortonDNS/Webrootsecureanywhere) all running together... and hey why not add Avast! and Kaspersky running on demand! It costs money, wastes recourse and you get maybe 1.0% extra protection from it. I would prefer risking the 1% instead of having a laggy system i constantly have to actively configure. Then again, I am not caught up in the Wilders mind-set of BEST BEST BEST BEST or i am inferior and not worthy!. Its a disease. :thumbd:

12. fax

fax Registered Member

What are you talking about? No one here said you need to pile up security tools! o_O

13. mattbiernat

mattbiernat Registered Member

1) Same here. My security is very basic and thanks to that my notebook runs very smoothly.

2) You want to know which security programs are the best so that you don't have to sacrifice #1 to receive decent protection.

14. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Nod32 2.7. Wow, thats old. Definitely the best AV in its time. Its amazing how much ground ESET has lost in the past 6 years

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Definitely not. V2 pales in comparison with newer versions in terms of detection and protection.

16. Tomas99

@CubonesCastle, (post 1)
    You are right of course but I have more machines so I will try a pay version also while "at it", because I like to support things I like and see if it might work as I want also. (in best of cases)

@fax,
    If you do it right it's nothing suboptimal about my protection. (sandboxie, rawlook on e-mails and so on for the rest)
    Been around for a long time from importing 8bit Atari's to Sweden to working among other places in Digital Equipment (best net products by far in it's time) when they where around, fixing hard drives with wrench, screwdriver and a Oscilloscope.
    Later years on software side of thing on different companies.

I am totally amazed how things changed from people/companies being afraid of where there "secrets/data" was going/stored to, in some cases going to extreme length trying to protect it to these days gladly shuffle the stuff up on some cloud solution somewhere, have industrial spionage suddenly gone away or? (I do not think so)
    That our privacy are big bucks many of us knows but as I wrote, just amazed how relaxed many are regarding there data/information.

@CubonesCastle, (post 2)
    You summed it up very nicely, but I am also interested in my privacy.

@qakbot,
    Agree,
    Did switch to that when symantec got bloated up, absolutely the best in it's time period IMO.

@Marcos,
    Originally Posted by qakbot
    ......in its time............

---

So many software's today want access to internet for a lot of reasons, the question is we all know that writing bugfree software are still utopia and there are many releases before things works as advertised with in many cases us users as "test" personal.
    I have friends with some 5-15 programs all wanting to utilize the connection when booted to desktop, all of them in it self poses a security threat by hacks or even worse by hacked at the developer side with a free passage into the system via automatic updates or via poor client software programming.
    Not to mention that each and every one might impact performance and stability of the system.

An umbrella solution like one program doing checks for all software of course makes life better/safer IMO and something like the Steam concept for other software products would reduce the number of programs that are all eager to get on the net and have to been active.

And yes I know that I am fighting (at the moment) a loosing battle until some company actually realizes that less can be more and address that with some product that I know there are customers for.

I have been playing games a long time and always wanted the best tool for it, so that means all unnecessary services all unnecessary software that do not need to be active is shut which really improves the feel/speed/lag even on never faster hardware you do notice difference.
    I only do play FPS games (these days) and still even now a bit older still doing very well on the servers. (charge type, no camper)

Like the forum, and will "lurk" around here, but for now Avira solves my problem and again kudoz CubonesCastle.

Last,
    I just wont to emphasize that the way I do want to do things is for me and not something I propagate as a general solution.

I think it's great with all these competent protection software just that I have a different take on things and I know I am not alone hoping that some company will leave at least one product that I (we?) can use in the future.

-Tomas

17. fax

fax Registered Member

If you know how to use sandboxie then you can just skip the AV. Only mind to scan on demand with offline tools.

If you think that AVs based on cloud can be subject to tamper and your valuable data stolen than you didn't understood how they work. In products like WSA or Panda (full cloud tools) there is no upload of files whatsoever. There is nothing to steal as there is no readable information on your files just hashes. You should also be aware that full cloud products like WSA needs far less bandswitch than traditional AV products downloading signatures. So, if you are concerned about bandswitch and games you will like cloud products. Give a try to, for example, to WSA (webroot security anywhere).

Remember, your already lost your privacy battle by installing windows. You can only be sure of a system if you have full access to its code. Move to open source instead if you mind about privacy and ability to know exactly what a software does. ;)

Enough is enough... rant closed :D

18. Tomas99

What I meant in the post above was cloud storage solutions, not cloud av as such.

And sure, one comes a long way with a decent "toolbox" but it's still convenient and feels better with some av as well.

-Tomas

19. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Did you not read my post. I said "best in its time". That means compared to competitors at that time. I didn't say the new versions are of ESET aren't better than 2.7. They better be, otherwiser ESET wouldn't exist. However, at the moment ESET's product doesn't come close to any of its competitors products in real world tests

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.