I need a popup blocker

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SonyaM32, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

Hi, now that I got rid of the trojan, I want to now try to take care of these annoying popups. I was using stopzilla, and it was working good, but my free trial ran out. Does anyone know of a popup blocker that I could download n use ? I hope I posted this in the rite forum. Thanx. Merry Christmas Sonya

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi SonyaM32,

I'll move it to the Privacy Software forum for better attention. ;)

snowbound

3. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

Hey Sonya why don't you just use firefox for your broswer . I hardly ever get any popups.
    Merry Christmas to you :)

4. SonyaM32

Gre87y, can you tell me how to start using the firefox ? Also, would it hurt if I use that one, and others and the same time. Will there be any conflicts ? Thanx alot ! Sonya

5. SonyaM32

I installed the popup stopper spanner told me about. I also set all the settings. I am having problems with this one place, i don't know where they are comming from, but when I had stopzilla, it had asked me to allow or block the popup, and I accidentally clicked allow. I do not know how to get that one to stop. It is still popping up even with the new popup stopper I just installed. does anyone has any ideas to offer so I can stop that ?

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Sonya,

Could you give us just a little more info concerning the pop-up....any names, Company....etc.

Also....could you attempt to capture the pop-up and then post that as an attachment to a post ?

7. SonyaM32

Bubba, yes I will try, but i'll have to follow spanners directions here. Spanner I will try to get it on here. If I have problems I may get on here and post the prob. I am having.
    The main thing is, once I acidentaly clicked, "allow popup" with my stopzilla, I didn't see any options to go back in and block the one I allowed. And that is where all this generated from. I see with my new popup stopper, I also don't have an option to block that ad. Or if there is a way and I just didn't recognize it. I will go download the MWsnap. Then I will try to post it here as an attachment. Sonya

8. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I use the Google Toolbar with the options off. Works ok

9. SonyaM32

Ok , Bubba, I got it, and already know how to use it ! hahaha lol That was fast huh? Spanner, thanx for showing me that. I think it's cool, :D :D :D
    Now as soon as I get a popup, I will put it here.

10. SonyaM32

Ok here is one of the popups

11. SonyaM32

oooooops i gotta put the ad here lololol well i dont think it has a valid file extention, because it wont take. ill keep trying

12. SonyaM32

ok finally

Attached Files:

13. SonyaM32

Here is another one

Attached Files:

14. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Hi Sonya,
    You neglected to tell us which OS you are using.....
    That Panicware PU Stopper that spanner suggested is great....I used it for ages.
    But now with XP SP2....IE has a Popup Stopper...and so does Firefox (my preference)....so I'm not using it anymore.
    Cheers,
    Buck.
    Edit: They look like Messenger Popups!! XP firewall will stop them.

15. SonyaM32

My OS is windows xp, tell me if you would, how I set my firewall, to do this. Rite now I use etrust firewall. Can I also use my xp firewall ?

16. bigbuck

XP...ok....have you upated to SP2 (service pack two)??
    I don't know anything about the etrust FW.....but you should not run 2 firewalls!
    Have you looked at the settings in your etrust FW?
    The XP FW can be turned on in control panel, network and internet connections.....but you should not run it with another 3rd party FW.

17. SonyaM32

As far as I know I have everything updated. I know windows will pop up saying update, but so will other programs. So I can't really remember if I have service pac 2 or not. Is there a way for me to tell ? Also I will have to check to see which firewall is running. My etrust, as of yesterday, no longer shows up on my task bar. And I didn't change anything.

18. bigbuck

If you've got the "security Centre" in your control panel.....You've got SP2

Attached Files:

19. SonyaM32

Yes I have it.

20. bigbuck

I'm a bit lost here......I think you'll have to look at the FW settings?
    I'm sure someone brighter will be along in a minute....
    Regards,
    Buck.

21. SonyaM32

OK, thank you BigBuck, :) I didnt mean to make you lost, lol, Im just having trouble with these darn, popups, Im checking everything now, I am still using my ez firewall, I set the settings higher, but it seems to block anything animated too, so i'm going to custom set it in a few, lololol Thanx Maby this will make the annoying things go the heck away, lol :D And it's agrivating because I accidentally allowed the popups, and now cant get rid of them. All of you have been a great help !:cool: :D :)

22. bigbuck

Just a thought.....If they are indeed 'messenger popups'? you could try this;
    Found it here; http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,990145,00.asp
    also;
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Popups.htm

23. bigbuck

Thanks Spanner......I've been waiting!! do they look like Messenger PU's to you?

24. bigbuck

Just one thing to check Sonya......Did you look at your IE popup settings, here's mine;

Attached Files:

25. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The Messenger Service popups have a signature all there on and can not be mistaken for ad popups.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.