I need a GOOD password program!

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by beetlejuice, Dec 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

I hope I'm in the right place. I'm looking for a good password program that will fill in passwords as they are needed. The one I'm using now (Gator) is loaded with Spyware. (I know, Stupid thing to do)! I've got it blocked so it can't communicate with it's host. Does anyone know of anything comparable without the Spyware? I'd really love to get rid of it without starting over, if possible. Thanks.
    Steve

2. Lithp

Lithp Registered Member

Password Safe
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/passwordsafe/
    The best. No spyware.

3. mikevop

mikevop Guest

http://www.roboform.com/

Roboform is spyfree and imports Gator held data so that you don't have to recreate all your info again.

4. notageek

notageek Registered Member

If you're using IE, try using the Auto Complete function. That's what I use and it works just fine.

5. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Hi Beetlejuice

If you want to increase your security/privacy do not allow any program to remember any password. Here is my method : Encrypted txt file on desktop made on notepad, contenting passwords. Copy and paste password you need to use. Always write them down too, on paper. Secret password is not so secret if computer remembers it, ( or anyone who happens to sit at your puter can use your passwords). ;)

friendliest -Ari

6. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Hi Beetlejuice,

I think Ari meant to say NOT to write it down on paper (if that's not what you meant to write - forgive me, Ari). Ari's method with notepad will work, but there are programs with very high security and strong encrption that will do just what Ari does, but it's all handled for you in a structure made just for keeping passwords. They are placed in categories, and the copy/paste function is there. You highlight a program or web site - whatever - and it gives you the opportunity to "copy to clipboard" the password by double-clicking. You then paste the password in your program. This new program I am using, "Password Agent" (Thanks, Phil!) even gives you room to write notes and has a quick link to the site you need to go to with the password. All very streamlined - very nice. I had used "Password Safe" for years. It is very good as well, very simple (everything just listed in one long list) I just personally think time has passed "Password Safe" by and Bruce announced a year or so ago that he wasn't going to maintain or upgrade the program anymore. What you have is what you're going to get. Both of these require you to just remember ONE password and all the others are protected - safe and secure - inside.

After reading your post again, you are also wanting something to fill out forms as well. That changes things a little! Your choice there is Roboform. I know that Tony Klein, a member here at Wilders uses it and likes it a lot. A visitor I see mentioned it as well.

Ari is also right about another thing - don't ever allow Windows to save ANY password. The file that keeps all the "saved passwords" is very easy to crack.

Good Luck!!

John
    Luv2BSecure

7. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

:D A special thank you to MikeVop and luv2bsecure for the great advice. I am now using RoboForm and everything is working fine. :D Thanks to all, I'm finally purged of Gator. :D Once again, Thanks.
    Steve

8. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

John

I exactly meant that I write all my secret passwords down. I use invisible ink and sure I have encoded the passwords first. I keep the paper in safebox just in case of fire. Only I know the code of the box ;)

Once happened that I had to make format c and all my passwords were gone, now I am just a little bit "wiser".

Keep up the good work !

friendliest - Ari

9. luv2bsecure

Ahhhh.......Invisible Ink. A little "low-tech" help for your "high-tech" toys. That clarifies things a bit. Whenever I see people with passwords written down near their computers I about pass out. I was in the English Dept. a few weeks ago and there was a student who had (I kid you not) taped his passwords on the top of his laptop! I usually stay in our department and don't get out too much to where I see things like that, but I was told by the English instructor that they he sees passwords written down all the time.

In the password keeper programs I have used, I always backup the actual data file to another media in my daily backup routine. The .dat file is, of course, encrypted and worthless to anybody but me.

Invisible Ink huh? We need to keep you away from those James Bond movies. Or, do you have your own "Q"o_Oo_O
    Take care, Ari!

John
    Luv2BSecure

10. AlbatroS

AlbatroS Registered Member

Take a look:
    http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/pins.html
    best for me.

11. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Password Safe is also really good :)

12. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi John, the latest version that I downloaded just recently is 2.04 and available at http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net
    It now provides folder like organization of passwords so you don't have everything in one long list anymore, quite nice.

Oh yes, I copy it to a memory stick whenever I update it, 'just in case'.
    Regards, Jim C

13. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

14. These password programs all look good, but what if you had a keylogger or keylogging trojan on your computer? Wouldn't the keylogger just defeat the password program(s) when you first type your passwords into the program(s)?

15. Devinco

Hi crashtestdummy,

Of course, that would be a vulnerability. You can limit your exposure by keeping the password file off the computer on removeable media or a USB key disk. Then the keylogger would have access to the encrypted file only while you use it. It is best to get rid of keyloggers or prevent them in the first place.

16. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

I also think that writing with invisable ink on invisable autodestruct paper
    and place that in a hidden invisable autodestruct safe in a hidden invisable autodestruct atomic bomb proof bunker the best option.

It takes a while to dig in your backyard, but .... oops ..in 'a' backyard

:D

one moment i lost my invisable keyb.......

17. Devinco

Now why didn't I think of that? :D ;)

18. luv2bsecure

Actually, the keylogger threat is why I like Roboform. It is not simply a password manager - it is a password filler. The new version is so much better than older versions, by the way. You no longer have the password box popping up on every page.

With Roboform, it knows when you are on a page that you have a saved password. Example - You go to the Yahoo log-in page and in the Roboform toolbar you will see the word "Yahoo" which means you have a password saved. You click on the "Yahoo" and it fills in the password (with privacy stars) and signs you in automatically. Each "passcard" is Blowfish encrypted. You only give your master passphrase once per session. After X amount of time of non-use, Roboform encrypts all passcards, notes, etc until your next session on the PC. Roboform is the one single program I couldn't surf without these days. It has made life so much easier.

19. Luv2bsecure, What about the very first time you type your passwords into Roboform? If you had a keylogger wouldn't it catch them? Any known other flaws/weaknesses in Roboform?

LMAO Tuatara! :D :D :D

20. Password1

Password1 Guest

Firefox and mozilla browsers have a similar password filling function, encryted and protected by a master password, though it's not as advanced as stand alones of course.

21. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

is this what you are talking about?
    http://www.roboform.com/

i thought it had gone shareware, because i thought i saw it in last good freeware, may be not this is what i was thinking of

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.