I built a PC last weekend and I wanted to transfer one of my three license subscriptions (second year in a row, free at newegg after rebate) from the old desktop to the new PC. A representative remoted most of the operation but at one point I had to chose a subscription to remove. I didn't notice any descriptions (may have been there though) so I just chose the first one. Sure enough that night I got a call from my son (I'd given him a heads up) and their copy was disabled. Back to chat the next morning! I explained everything and the representative re-activated it. He just had to entere the license number and it was good to go. The chats were instant although in both cases it stated a two minute wait but there really wasn't any.