I might have been tripping but.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by tesg, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesg

tesg Guest

I recall reading a few weeks ago that the official NOD support will move out of the forum and left to administrators etc?
    I might have the wrong forum though...or maybe a wrong product alltogether, it's 4 am here and I just finished building a honeypot and that thought just entered my mind.

Just wondering, thank you.

2. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi tesg,

the official NOD support forum is here and I don't know about any moving plans. I hope your honeypot is nice. :)

Take care,

jan

3. testg

testg Guest

Oh great now I've read a nice news stateing that HoneyPots can become illegal due to the fact that they fall into "wire taps" flavor. Administrators are now fighting the courts to allow for honeypots as long as they user is notified that he or she is being monitored.

It just figures, after 10 hours spent on a nice honeypot setup I just read a news stateing that it might get me into big trouble. :) I don't know I think I will just go and get drunk, TGIT duh it's thursday.

4. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Can you please describe to me what exactly is a honeypoto_O

We have beekeepers here in England and its perfectly legal, I take it you are harvesting wild bees?

(note to mods, if you want this taken off topic then please shout) :)

5. testg

testg Guest

HoneyPot, is basically a jar shape structure where honey is placed for storage.

OR

It's a lucritive server running bunch of nice servies like (SHREING, FTP, POP, HTTP, etc) which look quite vulerneble but not extremelly vulernble (thus still doesn't look to easy to break in thus allows a bit of realism). Honey pots are placed right before a minor firewall (between minor and major defenses and IDS). They are used to divert hacking attempts and thus slow the hackers down and allow them to be detected thus a more appropriatge security measure could be taken in the next server up the road, preventing the hacker from assessing the real services. Basically they are used to snoop out hackers and minimize the damage a hacker might create if he or she reached the actuall server.

Honeypots are used by many governmental agencies to do just that, basically they are used to sniff out hackers. Of course honeypots used by governments are legal. :) The only honeypots in question are the ones used by network administrators who are not affiliated with any governmental agency.

Hopefully this clears some things up for you.

Cheers

6. testg

testg Guest

I mean after intial firewall but before the major IDS, proxy or FW.

7. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Boy, you'd think that if the hacker was able to be recorded doing things that obviously pointed to "nefarious behavior", that the courts would side with the "honeypot owner".

Hmm. Hopefully the powers that be will rethink their position! :/

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, it was the DCS forums and ultimately, as you can see, it did not happen.

9. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Ack!! Sorry, I know what a honeypot is in respect to trapping intruders, I am feeling under the weather and feeling pretty dense as I did actually think that you were making a honeypot of the bee variety! :oops:

I think I need more Paracetamol and some sleep! :blink: :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.