I love my current free roll your own Security Suite

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Wordward, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Avast Home and Comodo Pro Firewall 3.0 with Defense+. Avast gets above average AV ratings and has some spyware detection capabilities which aren't that important to me with Firefox. And Comodo gives me a very good firewall and HIPS combo. After trying many, many different security combinations over the years, I think this is may finally be the one i have been looking for, and all for free. LOL. I do believe Avira PE with Spyware Terminator and Threatfire, plus Comodo Pro 2.4 would be good free Suite too though.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Mine right now is Comodo 3 with Avira Premium... They seem to do really well together.... :)

3. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

running Comodo Firewall x ThreatFire x KeyScrambler x on-demand (AVG AS, AVG AV, SAS, Spyware Term.)

am considering KAV, which is a flat $20 at a few places without all the rebate stuff, but it seemed a little heavy when i tried the trial version

am too dumb for all the fancy stuff, always forget to get my files before closing Sandboxie, so i gave up....

since ive been on Firefox x Vista i never find anything except tracking cookies,
    which kind of makes me wonder if there are some malware thats just not being detected on my machine....

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Nah, your not too dumb. Have you tried the new Sandboxie versions 3.20 and up I believe. When you download a file here is what you now see. If not let one of us know or ask at the Sandboxie forum. I have desktop setup as a recovery folder.

Attached Files:

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I'm enjoying my own freeware suite, too. Tell the truth, it's how I've learned what I've learned, so far. See a review for something, try it out, look here for other reports advice etc.
    Very happy with Avast home, SpywareTerminator, CFP 2.4, and a few other tools active (eg hostsfile). Have a few good demand scanners, too, they never find anything much. Tells me the basic setup is pretty good.
    Currently trialling Comodo Memory Firewall.

6. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

Thanks innerpeace, updated to Sandboxie 3.21 and i think ill try that program again...That was one of the few drawbacks, now fixed...

Doesn't seem to be much doubt on here that it is a very effective program, probably worth my taking the time to learn how to use it correctly now...

7. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

HI ALL

dont give 2 much creds to free software as u describe here.

Comodo Firewall crash in alot of pc's and got fix all the time.
    you cant compre this combo to zonealram or similer progs...same goes for good AV like kav or nod32.

cheers:)

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Please, stop spreading FUD :)

9. innerpeace

Your welcome! Sandboxie is getting easier to use with each new version and new releases come often.

Cheers,
    innerpeace

10. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Oh boy, more temptations. LOL. I may soon have to give this program a try. Maybe it will be the one to finally end my search for the Holy Grail of computer protection. LOL. Right now though, Avast Home with ThreatFire and Spy Sweeper are all running quite well together. I have the 1 year trial version that was offered by Webroot themselves, so it counts as free, righ? LOL.

11. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

No need to run Spy Sweeper in realtime. BTW you change your security apps like minutes change on a clock.

12. baerzake

baerzake Registered Member

Avira+comodov3. I think better.

13. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Avira would be a good choice if it wasnt for the upgrade nag screen evertime it updates. I use to use Avast but now I use NOD32 along with ZAAS.

14. innerpeace

IMO, I would buy Sandboxie before I would pay for one of the fancy AVs. That's how much I like the program and the idea of sandboxing my internet facing applications. It does take a little effort to configure it to the way you want it, but after that, it's all automatic. Definitely give one of the Sandbox programs a try when you get a chance.

The holy grail for me at this point is running Sandboxie and Returnil (as needed) together. A current image is also a good idea too. I'm using the free DiscWizard (ATI) for Seagate HDDs. I'm also still using a firewall/HIPS and an AV. I'm sure it's not perfect and probably excessive, but it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy when I'm online.

15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Innerpeace,

Any idea how sandboxie deals with Digital Rights Management, especially WMA files? Most Virtualisation apps, will cause a loose of playing/burning rights (the problem noone seems to know in which files they are stored).

Regards

16. innerpeace

Sorry Kees1958, I have no idea. There forum may help.

17. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Added BOClean to the mix. Not sure if it is really needed, but it does make me feel a little more protected. The latest signature updates had keylogger and many other new malware's included in it.

18. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Another plug for Sandboxie here, liked it so much I registered it. It gets updated frequently with usefull features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.