I like F-Secure

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I did not want to hijack Marcomero's thread re suites.
    I do not use any suites, and have KAV6 on one computer and F-Secure 2007 on the laptop.

I just started the laptop to see how long it took to boot up. After the welcome screen came on it took 46 seconds for F-Secure to appear, and check for updates. It took 2 minutes and 6 seconds for all programs to load and a browser to open.

Maybe I am not impatient, but 2 minutes and 6 seconds to boot and check for updates and all load and a browser open does not bother me, and I don't think that is a long time.
    Do some of you experience start up and all programs load and a browser open in seconds? I just do not see what the problem is all about.

Avira did the same in probably 45 seconds less, but that is not significant, especially since F-Secure has not given a single problem with conflicts or anything else since I have been using it.

F-Secure takes about 45 minutes to make a complete scan. Bit Defender took over 40 minutes when I used it, and NOD during the trial took slightly over 30 minutes. KAV takes about 6. I don't consider the scan time of F-Secure a problem.

Here are the programs I have running on the laptop.
    F-Secure 2007 AV, Kerio 2.1.5, Win Patrol, SuperAntiSpyware, AVG 7.5 AS, Snoopfree, and UnHackMe.

If my experience with F-Secure is not too off-base, I think it gets some bashing that is not warranted.

It has given less problems than Avira, and even KAV6. The only other AV that has not given me a single problem is Avast Home.
    If I look at the NOD, Avira, or KAV forums I do see what I think are a lot of problems. I admit that I have not had many problems with KAV, but more than F-Secure.

If it were not so expensive, I would probably keep it on the laptop, but will either put KAV6 or Avast Home on it when the license expires in July, 2007. But F-Secure is a top-notch Av in detections, and I suspect it will continue to always be close to the top.

Best,
    Jerry

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

f-secure does provide good protection because it uses the Kav engine.but since i can buy kav6 i dont see the need for f-secure since kav6 is better and lighter than f-secure.
    also i hate av's that dont have a bar that tells them how far its got.
    it just shows how many files it has scanned.
    nod32 and kav6 show a percentage.
    and kaspersky6 even has a estermated time remaining.
    kav6 will take a while for the first boot because it scans the file at the start but then next boot time is faster because it scans new and changed files only.
    f-secure scans the same files over and over and with kaspersky quite slow scan time it means it delays startt up that plus the fact it uses other engines.
    if i was f-secure i would get rid of all the other engines and just use kaspersky engine and a HIPS. and license scan new and changed files only.
    that way it uses less processes and wouldnt hog so much.
    i like scan new and changed files option so much I think all av's should have a simlar system.
    there is no point in keep scanning the files over and over that are clean.

I should of started a new thread for this but here goes:
    i wonder what is faster a quite slow av engine like kaspersky with scan new and changed files only
    or say nod32 with its really fast scanning?
    i mean mainly for real time.
    i hope i can get my vdad to order kis6.0 he is doing my head in.
    lodore

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,

Thanks for the reply.
    I agree that it does not make sense to scan the same unchanged files over and over. I see no reason to think that scanning only new or changed files is less secure than scanning over and over.

While NOD scans faster than F-Secure that amounts to 15 minutes on my computer. I just set the scan when I am not going to need the machine, so that 15 minutes is unimportant to me.

Can you give some times to load and scan and whatever else bothers you because it is slow?

I also like a bar to tell how far the scan has progressed, and also prefer KAV6. But I must say, that while I have only experienced the update debacle of a months or so ago, and one recently since MP1, I continue to see problems with Kaspersky on the forum. I can only conclude that Kaspersky is still somewhat buggy.

I would not at this time recommend Kaspersky for someone who does not visit these forums. I think the average user might encounter the update or other problem and just be frustrated, and have no idea what to do.

I might make an analogy with a car. My car has an excellent warranty, and if I break down someone will come to tow me to a shop. However, if I am traveling, and in the middle of nowhere, the warranty is not much comfort at that particular time. So it is with an AV that is buggy, even though the support is great. I found Avira worse, to the extent that I ditched it.

So KAV6 remains my favorite, but I would not put it on my daughter's computer at this time. She and my son-in-law have used Avast Home with satisfaction for several years.

I would probably leave F-Secure on the laptop since it is trouble free, but not at the cost. FWIW, I bought a boxed KAV6 off ebay for $17.39 the other day. I will probably put that on the laptop when the license for F-Secure expires. I hope the KAV license code on the CD will still be good in July, 2007. I see no reason that it would not.

Best,
    Jerry

4. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I agree with you Jerry, although I will definitely consider springing for the renewal when my license expires in July. Aside from a minor issue with CCleaner, F-Secure has not given me any problems, and I am happy knowing the detection rates are top notch. Considering my current license was free, I am delighted.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, optigrab. If you see another such free license let us know.:D I might spring for the 1/2 price offer. That makes it comparable to KAV and NOD if I recall correctly.

I have not experienced the CCleaner issue, but I recall that some did.
    Best,
    Jerry

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

f-secure 2007 is buggy atm as well thou.
    ive had my fair share of bsods from it when i first installed and randomly using firefox loading pages and refreshing pages made it bsod.
    plus i have heard that nod322.7 is a bit buggy as well.
    so the bug issue isnt really a problem
    lodore

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Just goes to show that different systems and AVs perform differently. There is no way to choose the best without trial.

It is interesting that Norton and McAfee are the two that come installed on most new computers. However, I do not hear new users complaining about them being buggy. Never had thought of that before.

Best,
    Jerry

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

true but they complain about them being slow generally lol.
    and a note that my next door neighbors dell laptop which he got about one month ago came with the 2005 version and not 2007 or not even 2006.
    so that way that are long tested.
    on another note if you plan on updating drivers for graphics sound cards etc then eiether turn f-secure HIPS to ask you about all changes or disble system control during it.
    because it blocked my creative sound card driver so i have to stick with the old version intill i can find a way to get it to stop keep asking me to reboot and try again.
    lodore
    lodore

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i agree that f-secure gets some slagging off sometimes when it hasnt deserved it.

the ram usage aint too bad, yes... even with all those engines, scan time isnt too bad (remember it scans all files), its slightly faster in scanning that dr.web and not many mention their scan speed being a reason not to get that.

boot up time is slow, slowest of the lot .... but, it aint 'that much' slower at all, who cares if you need to wait 30 seconds more or whatever, it really isnt sometimes to go on and on about.

for security, this suite is great... i love the norman sandbox for its HIPS, works very well in a few tests i tried (if you set it up right in the settings)

ive always been pro-fsecure and try to defend it as much as humanly possible, so i agree with the original post :D

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my settings for the on demand scan are defined files and not all files and takes around an hour.
    lodore

11. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I like the protection of F-secure but the load time is way past my acceptance time. I use Kis6 & am up & running in about 30 seconds & that's to get to the desktop...

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nice im guessing that is with the startup scan enabled with scan new and changed files only the startup scan?
    if you read iBK's tests you will notice f-secure and kav are both the same detection and kaspersky updates faster so why would you use f-secure?
    if kav6.0 was out when i got f-secure i would of got kav instead but at least i can get kav soon.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.