I keep getting this message when I try to download a program.....

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by CJsDad, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Your current security settings prohibit running Active X controls on this page.
    As a result, the page may not display correctly.

I click O.K. then I get this message....

An error has occured in the script on this page, would you like to continue?

I click no and close out, end of process.

Now, what if I have tried everything possible from lowering my security settings or placing them back to the default level?
    I even tried turning off my own programs, firewall, anti-virus, but I still get that same message.

I know some programs require Active X to run but this is rediculous.
    Besides just giving up and not running the program, is there anything else I should check?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Can you give an example link where this is happening and when you say "program"....does that mean it's happening in other instances besides browsing the web ?

As for the ActiveX warning....you may already know this but a site that you placed in IE's Restricted Zone may be causing this since ActiveX control and plugins are disabled in that Zone with default settings.

The script error message usually is presented if you have IE\Tools\Internet Options\Advanced tab\Browsing....Disable script debugging unchecked.

3. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

It seems to me anything that requires IE 5 or higher or an Active X control to run will no longer run or it wont run at 100%.

Its on a 2nd computer in the house, the one I use for friends and family, I simply refuse to let anyone use my PC.

They like to download card games and I also use different anti virus scanners, like Housecall for one.
    I don't put alot of time into this PC so I have no idea when this started happening, I just noticed it last night.

So today I ran all the security programs on the PC and everything came up negative expect for a couple of tracking cookies that came from playing those card games.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I do not want to assume wrongly but mentioning "IE 5" causes me to ask what Operating System ?

It would really help if you could look in IE's History for last night and possibly find an example link :doubt:

If it's not a setting in IE....I would suggest you make sure you double check your other layers of protection for disabling of ActiveX.

5. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Windows XP SP 2.
    I would have to check for which programs were run.
    However I tried the Housecall antivirus scanner on my PC and I didnt get that message, then I removed the program.
    Also I would have to correct that IE 5 statement and say that its IE 6.

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That helps....at least you now know all ActiveX components are not being blocked. That now leaves possibly only 2 choices. The site\or via a script at that site where this ActiveX object resided was in the Restricted Zone....or....the ActiveX object was being blocked if you use a program that sets ActiveX kill-bits and that ActiveX item was in it's database.

7. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Bubba,
    So what should I look for, what should I do?
    Also, sorry for asking, but what do you mean by "kill-bits"?

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since Housecall worked....I have to go on the assumption that ActiveX is working on some sites but not on others. Also....many sites use Adobe's Shockwave or Flash....do you know if you have flash disabled with one of your programs ?

If your settings are still at default....go to Windows Update or attempt an online scan @ Xblock....what happens ?

It seems it would be easier if you set this troublesome PC up like yours if you are certain you have yours setup securely....especially if you are using something other than IE and have it secured properly. Of course that will leave out some games and online scans.

That leaves us in a pickle if you are using IE because both of those require ActiveX and in order to secure IE properly one needs to either set the Internet Zone to High and only place sites that they trust in the Trusted Zone or take a chance and run IE @ default. If one does that they definetly need to consider adding a couple layers of protection by adding proprams such as Spywareblaster and IE-Spyad.

All that being said....that still leaves us with this ActiveX warning message. Unfortunately I can not offer much further assistance in that area unless you can supply a link where that occured\occurs. For the simple fact there are more than a few reasons why that will be presented....especially if that site is listed in the Restricted Zone via a program you use.

9. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I clicked on the online scan @ XBlock link and I get this......

Error: You must have Javascript and ActiveX active for this to work!

I also get another message that says....

Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded.

Only thing is I still have everything on IE set to the default level for now with the other security programs (AV, Firewall) turned off so how in the world can I still have that message appear?

Adobe's Shockwave or Flash....do you know if you have flash disabled with one of your programs ?....
    How would I check for this?

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

IE....Tools\Internet Options\General tab....Temporary Internet files\Settings\View objects. You should see ActiveX Control entries dealing with Shockwave\Flash.

You can test the version here---> Version test for Macromedia Flash Player

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.