I keep getting a 404 when I use proxo, privoxy and tor.

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by notageek, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torifyme

torifyme Guest

When I have the same problem, I toggle off tor then on - the problem is temporarily fixed but I have to do it several times a day. I'm also thinking it's Firefox caching the 404 page.

2. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Thanks, I clean my firefox cache nightly and still have the problem.

3. TORist

TORist Guest

If this is a once-off, then it doesn't mean much (likely due to a web page containing a link using a non-standard port) - however if you see it often then check your URL history in your Privoxy window. Lots of URLs in the form address:port may be due to a Proxomitron filter (run Proxomitron in Bypass mode to verify this).

4. torifyme

torifyme Guest

It's not just once - repeatedly for every site. If I don't toggle Tor off and on, I will have to click repeatedly until the site appears.

5. notageek

I thought it was fix this morning but it appears it's not fixed.

It does it all the time. Everytime I try to go to a webpage. I bypassed proxo and it still does it.

6. TORist

TORist Guest

Do you see a similar "No server" error message from Tor for every page you access? Do you see host:port entries appearing in the Privoxy window for every site you visit? If so, what port is specified? Is your firewall configured properly to allow all Tor traffic? (the port range used by Tor seems to have expanded recently).

7. notageek

OK Here's what's been gong on recently. After starting tor I can open webpages, after 10 mintues I can't. I get a tried for 60 second, giving up message in tor.

No I don't see "No Server" message everytime I go to a webpage. I see the "Tried for 60 seconds to get a connection to [scrubbed]:80. Giving up" message.

I'm not sure how to see if Privoxy is showing the host:port. If it the part that says "Jan 03 09:45:56 Privoxy(05696) Request: www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php" Than yes, but it changes the port everytime I go to different webpages.

I have Zone Alarm Pro and I have tor set to allow access. Should I set it up different?

8. TORist

TORist Guest

That message would be typical if Tor was unable to retrieve a web page.
    In that example, it is using the standard port, 80. However URLs can include a port number, e.g. test.com:8080 and your previous message suggested this as a possibility. However if you are not seeing numbers in this format in the Privoxy window then this can be ruled out.
    Have you just allowed everything (including allowing Tor, Privoxy and Proxomitron to "act as servers") or created expert rules? (if expert, what exact settings did you use). More to the point, does ZA's log show any Proxomitron/Privoxy/Tor-related traffic being blocked?

Some problems can be worked around by closing and restarting the Tor client, but if this does not apply for you, then it suggests a problem with your machine/setup - or possibly your ISP.

9. notageek

Yes tor, privoxy and proxo are set as allow act as a server in ZAP.

When I restart tor it works for 10 minutes and aftewr that it don't work anymore. I haven't created any rules for these programs in ZAP. I don't have any ZAP logs. I turned off logging in ZAP. I'll turn it back on and see what goes on.

10. notageek

I see nothing my ZAP log file that TOR is being blocked.

11. TORist

TORist Guest

If you receive no blocked entries from ZA and no unusual messages in the Tor window when the 10-minute period is up, then this suggests a problem with the Tor client since this is when it will try to change paths - try increasing its logging level to see if this gives any more information (see How do I set up logging, or see Tor's logs? for details on this).

Have you had this problem on an earlier version of the client? (e.g. 1.1.9-alpha is working fine for me). If the problem can be tied to the specific client version, then it may be worth reporting this as a bug.

12. notageek

OK, thanks. No I never had any problem with it before I switch to v0.1.0.13. When I switch to v0.1.0.13 us when I had problems. Now the only thing I see in my ZAP log file is lot of port scans when I try to use tor. I will try what you suggested and post back if it works or not.

13. notageek

Nope, didn't work. I tried the later version and the latest alpha version. I am so stumpped on this. I keep getting a timed out message in tor

14. no proxy for

no proxy for Guest

Removing the default, "localhost, 127.0.0.1" from Firefox's "no proxy for" seems to have drastically minimized the frequency of "404" occurances.

15. no proxy for

no proxy for Guest

However, "no proxy for" becomes ineffective.

16. notageek

I tried that already and still got 404. Like I said, I get a "[notice] Tried for 60 seconds to get connection to [scrubbed]:80. Giving up." in the tor window. That fills up the whole window when I keep trying to get a website.

17. no proxy for

no proxy for Guest

sorry to hear that. I very rarely get the "404" message now. If I enter the "localhost....." into Firefox, then I immediately get the "404" error page and receive it often.

18. notageek

I don't know what's going on. Seems like I'm the only one with the problem I'm having.

19. no proxy

no proxy Guest

I'm not sure why but I'm finding "localhost, 127.0.0.1" being removed automatically. I keep adding it and it disappears on it's own.

20. notageek

That's odd. It's not doing it to me.

21. notageek

Just thought I wpuld do follow up on this subject.

I Still can't get tor to work. I still get the connection timed out messages in the tor window. I tried everything. I guess it's time to give up on tor and uninstall it and privoxy. Thanks to all the helped me.

22. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

I've been following this for a while but I can only guess as to what's happening.
    I tried to set up the Firefox>>Tor combo without Proxo or Privoxy. This works but all DNS queries were sent to my ISP's DNS server. With Privoxy in the mix properly configured, all DNS queries would be handled by the Tor network. What that suggests to me is your problem could be how your set up (or the Tor network) is handling or mishandling DNS queries. Why this is happening or how it can be fixed is a little beyond me.

23. notageek

I'm going to try the latest alpha version and see if it works.

24. alphamale

alphamale Guest

does it work?

25. notageek

I'm not getting any more 404's now. It seems to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.