I keep getting a 404 when I use proxo, privoxy and tor.

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by notageek, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I get a 404- no such domain when I use Proxo, privoxy and tor together. I can't surf when I have the enable proxy checked in proxo. Any idea how to fix this?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Have you seen this link?

3. notageek

Yes, I did. I set it up that way, but for some reason I can't get webpages to load. I have to click refresh like 10 times before they load and sometimes I have to untick the enable proxy in proxo becuase it seems like the webpage don't want to load.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The combination slows down your connection. If you are using dialup, maybe that has something to do with it.
    Since the pages load at times, I can think of no other reason for what you are seeing.

5. notageek

Not on dialup. I have DSL and never had this problem until now. I'm going to assume that maybe it's the IP address that's being used at the time. What it does is it sometimes work and it sometimes don't. Do you know anything about firefox's Switch Proxy plugin? I want to set that up to use but also still use Proxo.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I used the Switch Proxy extension strictly to turn Proxomitron on or off. It seems to work well. I didn't explore the other options.

7. notageek

When I click on the switch proxy extention, it switchs the connection settings in firefox. How do I get this to work with proxo?

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. torguy

torguy Guest

Did your setup EVER work?

10. notageek

Thanks, I'll look around and see if there's a fix for letting proxo and switchproxy to work together.

Yes my set up worked (sometimes works now). I get a 404 most of the time. It's annoying having to click refresh all the time for a page to load.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I suppose you remember your older thread on this subject. :D By the way, I was using Quick Proxy. It simply turns Proxomitron on or off from the status bar.

12. notageek

My old thread was about setting up proxo, hence the title being called "Setting up proxo, privoxy and tor?". privoxy and tor. This thread is about how do I stop getting the 404- no such domain page when I try to go to webpages. I'm not trying to be rude, but both topics are different. I already set it the why Kye-U stated and it worked fin but for some odd reason I get 404-no such domain pages every 5 minutes when I try to go to other pages of forums or websites. I have to refresh like 10 or so times (sometime more) to get the page to show. Like I said before, I think maybe it is from the proxy address that tor,provoxy and proxo changes to. From my understanding, that set up changes the proxy address every few minutes (not sure on how many minutes).

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I was just curious why it quite working as it had been working before.

14. notageek

I don't know. I went back through the set up again and re-set it up again to make sure it was right. The problem is that I get a 404 most of the time and the other time I get the webpages. Maybe it's bad proxy address that the set is getting. I added a screenshot of the 404 I get. I tried with Mozilla and still get the 404.

Does anyone else get a 404- no such domain sometimes?

Attached Files:

15. notageek

OK, I been testing this all day (day off) and I tried testing in proxo and I get
    "New Message Log Window....

Testing 127.0.0.1:8118
    Waiting for remote proxy's reply
    Proxy test Failed!
    >HTTP/1.0 404 No such domain
    Ending proxy test"

Any ideas?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  16. devilish

devilish Guest

I doubt it.

17. notageek

You doubt what? If you're doubting the chaning of the proxy address, well I can tell you it does. I went to a site to check my ip address when it was working and it was a different number adn wehn I went back a about 1 our later it was a different number. If you're doubting that I have it set up the way Kye-U posted, well I do. I can post some screenies of the set up to make 100% sure that it's set up the way Kye-U suggested.

I was told by Kye-U over at his forum that it was a problem with privoxy. I unintsalled privoxy and reinstalled it and still have the same problem.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  18. devilish

devilish Guest

Of course, I know it changes. I'm not a geek doesn't mean I'm stupid. And no I don't think u got the instructions wrong, because if you did, it wouldn;t work at all :)

I'm doubting that it's any specific Tor server that is causing you problems (not by itself anyway). Not impossible but not very likely either.

I had Tor servers that die on me after a while, but the extent you are describing (most of the time) seems too common to be due to that. Or perhaps you are just unlucky?

I don't suppose you have some sort of comprehensive ip blocking list (whether as a firewall or browser related app) that might be causing the problem?

What is your security setup btw?

Here's an idea, try Tor with firefox only, and see if you have the same problems. See if we can rule out the thesis that it is proxo or privoxy at fault.

19. notageek

It don't work in firefox, opera or internet explorer. I don't have any IP blocking app at all. The security apps I have running is MSAS, McAfee AV 7.0, Zone Alarm 6.0 pro, Trojan hunter, Process Guard, and sometimes I run Winpatrol. Thats it. Nothing that I didn't run when it worked. I also run Proxo, tor and privoxy. Tor works with firefox alone.

20. devilish

devilish Guest

Er. I'm confused , above you say it doesn't work in firefox, opera or IE. Then you say it works with firefox alone?

Just to confirm if you use Tor and firefox without proxomitron or privoxy, there is no trouble?

Okay so it's a problem due to either proxomitron or privoxy. Maybe some problem with loopback caused by all this chaining.... My bet is some other program might be interfering (transaprent proxing?), slowing it down hence causing random timeouts.

I won't comment on your setups of proxo or privoxy, because you might be using something different from me.

It's hard to tell with such things, some update or something might cause problems.

Personally, if i were you i would turn off some of these stuff, for a short while to confirm that they are not causing the problem either singlely or in combination. If you ask me it might be Mcafee or maybe ZA pro, or maybe both. You can probably surivive a couple of minutes with Mcafee off, and most probably with ZA pro if you have a router that blocks inbound.

But it's up to you.

Which brings me to the question do you have a hardware firewall?

21. notageek

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Tor will work with firefox as long as proxo and privoxy isn't combined in the set up. I do not have a hardware firewall. I'll shut down app one by one to see if they are cuasing the problem. I'll post back the results.

22. notageek

OK I shut everything security app I have down, one by one and left them shut down and still have the problem.

23. devily

devily Guest

Hmm, are you sure with firefox and Tor alone there is no problem? No 404?

Then that probably rules out Ronjor's idea in #4.

And just to confirm , it used to work okay?

Well, if it's not security software interfering, and it works fine with firefox alone, it is most likely due to the misconfig of proxomitron/privoxy.

What version of Tor are you using by the way? You might try upgrading, I doubt that's the problem , but it shouldn't hurt.

If you really can't figure it out, maybe you should try proxomitron+free cap and see if it works.

24. notageek

I'm using tor version 0.1.0.15 and I'm going to make sure firefox and tor are working together again. Tor and firefox works to gether but it's really slow. I can't get proxo and freecap to work either.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  25. notageek

I don't know if this will help but when I get this error (which is all the time now), tor states this in the black command box "Dec 30 23:58:36:515 [notice] No tor server exists that allows exit to [scrubbed]:7734. Regecting." Next line says " Dec 30 23:58:37:765 [notice] Tried for 60 seconds to get connection to [scrubbed]:80. Giving up" Anyone know what that means?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.