I haven't changed a thing!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Page42, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

A member just posted that he hadn't changed a thing in his security set up.

Good for him! There's probably more of that going on than some of us would be led to believe. Or am I wrong about that?

So my question for you is... Has it been a long time since you changed a major, real-time component in your set up?

For me, it has been 4½ months since I took ZoneAlarm Pro off my machines and installed Online Armor.

I enjoy reading about all of the new combos folks are trying out... there is much to learn from the quick-change artists ;) ... but some of us have found nirvana, and we're sticking to it.

I'd like to hear from the people who ARE NOT addicted to changing their security software constantly. :p

2. Boost

Boost Registered Member

*Raises hand*

I just dont see the point in changing setups 500 times a year :D

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i changed a lot of times in the past year because i was new to this stuff.
    i fortunately learned quite a bit from reading posts here.

"small is beautiful" is my new motto.

4. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Yeah, 500 is way overkill. Which is why I only change mine only 499 times a year.

Seriously, I've been running the same setup since my G Data IS 2010 license expired several months ago (no interest in their 2011 version). I ran 2010 for the whole one year license.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i raise my hand, can i talk?:D i am allow to talk?:) ;)
    i guez i learn alot by changing my set up cause i can recomend for own experience what runs smooth or not:D what is bloated or not;) what works like advertize or not and the best part the virus detection rate:D i can easilly recomend a product cause i tested,use it my self:)
    my 2 million pesos which is 2 cents maybe:D

6. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Besides adding the free version of Hitman Pro a while back, I haven't changed anything in a couple of years. I do upgrade my components to newer versions when they become available. But I'm always looking!

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I haven't changed anything since 2005.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Rmus what do you have for security man?

9. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

your guys have lots of passions in computer security. Going through the cycles of install, uninstall, testing, format, etc.......

for me, just a little insecured.... lol

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

that is the way to learn,first get busted by malware then try your best to fix your problem then you become a pro;)

11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I'm a gambling kinda guy, I'll gamble and say he's running Faronics AE :D

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i say ProcessGuard;)by the way nice avatar man

13. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I've gone change-free for 2 months since replacing my AV.

Prior to that event, my system went unchanged for over a year.

I used to be a frequent-tryer, but some time ago I went through the initial released-before-it-was-ready Comodo firewall/HIPS weekly update/repair evolution that became excruciating. No mas! I can truly say I learned a lot about firewall/HIPS technology, but I spent all my time in work-arounds for new problems. A malware attack would have been a relief!

Now I change nothing until I'm confident that the change offers real benefits, is reported as stable by folks I trust (that would be Wilders) and I truly understand the technology.

14. Montecristo

Montecristo Registered Member

I haven't changed my set-up in 3 years

15. adik1337

adik1337 Registered Member

Yep, it's been months now that I finally removed any real-time AV from my box. Using just sandboxie, hitman pro and windows firewall since then .... 0 infection rate till now.

16. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I firmly believe that most people who just want to be more secure go through a cycle of trying every security tool they can find. As they learn more, they are exposed to more threats than they probably thought existed, and they begin to understand how and why they would be vulnerable.

This leads, IMHO, to a period of time when they install tool after tool, hoping to find the right combination of what they percieve as security while at the same time still being able to use thier machine. I mean, multiple tools to provide multiple layers of security can be both taxing on the machine and also too technical or PITA to actually use.

Of course, this isn't true of everyone. But I would bet that a very high majority of people who seek security go through this cycle. Some never come out because they are software junkies (aren't we all though ;) ).

I have changed my security in the last week. Last month. Last year. Last 5 years. As a self-taught nerd, I try to use what the OS offers and only use 3rd party tools sparingly. I've gone through the multi-layer cycle, and really don't need that stuff any more. But that doesn't mean there isn't plenty of things to learn and play with. On the contrary, taking strange angles on what the OS has to offer is actually more challenging because much of it you have to learn by the "hard knock" method. But, it is fulfilling and definitely doesn't bog the machine down. LOL, it might make it unable to boot into the OS, but not bogging down.

Sul.

17. korben

korben Registered Member

Last week - my FW, I had to, lic expired.

BTW, Sul, to the point as always.

18. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I switched from Immunet Protect Plus to AVG when V3 did the free 1 year license give away.

I may go back to IPP once I do a bit more research on AVG's detection rate. So far its mediocre at best and barely catches any 0 day attacks.

I may also switch up my firewall from Windows built in Firewall back to LookNStop.

And last but not least. Im trying to find the right UAC white listing tool to allow me to whitelist programs that need to run as admin rather than dealing with UAC elevation prompts all the time.

Of course this is just theoretical. Im sure I probably wont change anything for awhile considering my main goal is lightness.

19. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Have not changed anything for quite some time. All works well, so why bother?

20. reinwald

reinwald Registered Member

if it works..why change? right? sandboxie all the way!

21. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I haven't changed anything in days.:p

I related to Sully's post, having gone through a couple of months of reading about security software and changing installations just about every day, if not several times a day. It was a pain just keeping my signature current.

But that has settled down significantly recently, as I figure out what works best together on my system, and is the minimum to feel safe.

The two main decisions left are Online Armor Premium and ESET NOD32. I will try the free OA and use that or buy two years of Premium. With the AV, it will either be two years of paid NOD32 or free Avast. That's it and then maybe I will be like the OP, sticking with what works long term.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  22. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

What's your current setup?

23. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

I've been always running only KIS when I've had a license for it. Some months ago I was still running Comodo FW and KAV on one machine, but now I have a three user license of KIS running on all of my machines and I don't intend to change it anytime soon :)

The last time I was really testing out different security software was 1,5 years ago, and after trying KIS, KAV, Avira, Avast, Comodo and Online Armor I got tired.

24. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

For nearly a year, I have run a basic setup on XP Home SP-2/IE 7 using WinPatrol Plus, Keyscrambler, Sandboxie, and Malwarebytes on-demand. I use the Windows XP firewall and am behind a router.

I also use Comodo Time Machine to roll back to my basic configuration after trying new applications- primarily AV, AS, and 3rd party firewalls as well as the occasional integrated security suite.

One known malware issue to-date.
    I install a new image via Paragon 10 or Macrium whenever the mood strikes.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I haven't changed anything in terms of security since I won the Eset Smart Security license in the Wilders give-away:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.