I have used TI for ages - cant use anymore

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Technic, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Hi!

I have used TI from version 7 till 9. I just tried to restore my drive with TI 9.0 (latest version). My Seagate 80 GB disk is not reckonized with TI 9.0.

I am asking help, is there any other drive backup programs out?

And yes, this thread belongs here. I am waiting some answers from Acronis too.
    Not that chit chat blaa blaa though.

I have no backup software ATM. Please help.

Best regards,

Technic

2. plover

plover Guest

I've been using Ghost 9 with no problems at all. I was looking for a possible replacement for it since Symantec has seen fit to add all it's usual startup processes to the new version 10 of Ghost.

But like you I am not enamored with TI9.

Ghost is the only other 'biggie' in town. There are a few lesser known products that do backups but I wouldn't feel too comfortable using them.

Like all software some people hate a package, others love it.

3. Technic

Thanks plover, your reply is appreciated. I just have to find another software than TI.

Cheers,

Technic

4. gcat294

gcat294 Registered Member

The show "Call For Help" recommended a software called "Drive Snapshot." Site is: www.drivesnapshot.de.

The show's been pretty good with revues and said this is the only backup software they'd use. I've been with Acronis for a few years, and happy. But I tried out version 9 and it's junk. I have a 160GB drive and a backup with version 8 took about 30 minutes and version 9 was close to 2 hours. I checked the forums and read the worse backup nightmare---you can't back up properly from the image. I'm still using 8 but am worried that Acronis has some new techies that have messed up Trueimage and with no end in sight. So I'm going to try out this Drive Snapshot.

As for Symantec, they can kiss off. Their software is all buggy. Norton slows down your system and their Ghost was no picnic, which is why they bought out Powerquest's imaging software and changed the name to Ghost.

5. plover

plover Guest

FWIW..

Ghost 9 was just PQ's Drive Image with a new name. Almost exactly the same without the usual Symantec bloat.

It has worked flawlessly for me. I agree that Symantec Products leave a lot to be desired. That's why I replaced all my Symantec products with other ones. All except Ghost 9. It hasn't the Symantec mark of death on it. I bet that Ghost 10 does however. I'll never know.

I'm going to try out Drive Snapshot. Thanks for the link.

6. Technic

Thanks for the tips guys. And a special thanks for the mod who moved that thread. Maybe they are payed by acronis.

I am still looking the backup proggie other than acronis TI.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

technic

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

In that moderators behalf...let me say You are more than Welcome ;)
    Not hardly....We do our small part out of sheer enjoyment for what Wilders as a whole has meant to us :eek:

8. Tsu

Tsu Registered Member

If you have used TI7 and 8 successfully, grab your TI8 disk and use it to restore the image created with 9.

If you were testing a backup/restore with your new 9.0, didn't you make a backup with 8.0 first?

Restoring your last full backup when 8.0 was installed will allow you to plug in the 9.0 image and copy over updated data files.

If you were doing all this with that "secure zone" and have no older backups then all bets are off. Personally, backing up to the same piece of spinning metal on which the original critical data resides is a dumb concept that Acronis should abandon. That just is not a backup to my way of thinking.

BTW I retro fitted 8.0b937 to my test machines after 3 builds of 9.0 that all were lacking. I'll skip testing the next couple of builds and try again next month depending on what I see happening in these forums.

TI9 is a marketing and programming disaster that rivals the Edsel, New Coke and WIN98ME. The new features and tweaks, if and when they all work, do not warrant a version change from 8.0 to 9.0 and the ensuing additional charge for an upgrade.

I appreciate Acronis needs to maintain a revenue flow to pay for support and programming. But IMHO they would have better served their stake holders by gainig more market share with the 8.0b937 product.

Personally, as I run DiskKeeper full time, the idea of an Incrimental or Differential is of no use to me as the daily backup can some times be nearly as large as a full backup. So I run a full backup unattended every night on all PC's to external USB or networked drives.

I really love this product. I have clients running TI8 and TI8server without a hitch, standalones, desktops, notebooks, servers, RAID5 etc and have no plans of recommending any upgrade to 9.0. I do all the testing and evaluation before anything is added into the production environment and TI9 is not ready for prime time.

Good luck...

9. Technic

Hello!

Thanks for the help and tips. :D Appreciated.

I try to live on. :D

10. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

I do not consider True Image, nor any disk imaging software, to be a backup program. IMHO, use of such a program is a good idea, but it is not a substitute for a good backup program. A good backup program will copy the contents of your hard drive file by file. That way, there's really no need to use a special program to restore your files (although you can if you prefer). You can simply look through the backed-up files with Windows Explorer (or a similar program) and copy the files you need.

Back in July I used TI to make an image of my C-drive, and then I later used that image to restore it. For some mysterious reason, this corrupted several of my programs (these programs were not recently installed). Fortunately, I had been making separate backups with a backup program called BASK. I was able to fix most of the problems by deleting the folders of the no longer functioning programs and then replace them with copies that were made several months earlier with BASK.

Here are some good FREE backup programs I have found:

Back4Win
    (may be a good choice for spreading a large backup across multiple CDs)
    http://www.alistairgeorge.com/b4win/

EZBack-it-up (I use this to backup only my most important files)
    http://www.rdcomp.net/

BASK (I use this when I want to backup almost everything)
    http://freeware4u.com/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=35

And a specialized backup program:

OEBackup -- Program to backup OE data and settings
    http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
    Direct link: http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/oeqbfull.zip

Phil

11. KennethS

KennethS Registered Member

Howdy,

No expert I, but I can offer this...

I was haveing a variety of problems with T9 (most prominently, I could not mount any drive. The Acronis Support folks were most kind, but the "tweak this", "modify this reg key", "change it back to the setting we tried last Tuesday" approach was wearing very thin.

Then, because of some hassles that appeared unrelated (a few too many blue screens on boot) I decided to re-install Windows 2000.

As I was putting my applications back, I thought for a moment about the TI V9 trial that I had.

I decided to give it another try.

It is working flawlessly....

All the best,

Kenneth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.