I have to edit a script to modify a backup job?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by VanguardLH, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VanguardLH

VanguardLH Registered Member

Backup & Recovery 2012 Free
    Windows XP Pro SP-3

After creating a backup job (and then scheduling it), I realized that I wanted to change some options in the backup job. There is no right-click on the backup job to run through the backup wizard to let me have an easy and quick method to modify the parameters of the backup job. Instead I'm presented with editing the script.

Sorry, but this is a utility and obviously not a primary task for my time spent on my computer. I have real work to accomplish, not studying some API manual on commands in a script file. Is there no way to run the script file for a backup job back through the backup wizard so I can modify it? Or am I stuck having to delete the old backup job and create a whole new backup job since walking through the wizard (which is a lot quicker than having to reference some document to understand the directives inside a script file)?

2. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

VanguardLH,

Yes, you will need to "delete the old backup job and create a whole new backup job". This will be the fastest and easy way, unless your just changing the archivename/path name, in which case it would be even faster to just change the name, by editing the script.

3. cincinnatijack

cincinnatijack Registered Member

Under the scheduled tasks, the bottom half is named scripts, just add the script to this list by selecting the add button, then when you have the selected script in this window, just right click on it and select edit script.

Don't forget to click schedule script after you finish editing.

4. VanguardLH

VanguardLH Registered Member

Guess you didn't understand or I wasn't clear. I don't want to waste time learning yet another extremely narrowly ranged scripting program that is employed by just one program. This is a utility process to provide disaster recovery and not considered a production-level task. That is, doing backup is NOT why users buy their computers. They have real tasks for use of their computers. Requiring users to edit script files is a workaround.

What I was wondering if there was a way to modify an existing backup plan (which is a "script" or really just a list of directives) WITHOUT having to go into the script file itself to make direct changes there. I really don't want to be digging around manuals on script programming for just one program to figure out how to modify a backup job. It would be far easier if the user could simply walk through the wizard again to modify and existing backup job. That is, instead of using the wizard only to produce a script file, it would be just as handy to feed that old script into the wizard so the user could use the easier wizard to modify the backup job.

It appears that once a backup job is defined which creates a script file for it that the user no longer has access to the wizards to modify that same backup job. Instead they have to dig through a reference figuring out how to edit a bunch of directives listed in a script file. That's too clumsy a workaround for me.

Thanks for replying, anyway.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I totally agree with your view on having to manually fool with scripts to modify or do backup/restore operations. The program should consider the script as a stored backup job and be able to read the "job" back in and let you modify it within the UI. Since I only do manual full backups this isn't an issue for me but it seems from various posts that better archive management functions are needed at the program UI level.

IMO, Acronis True Image is far, far better in this regard but they are/were having serious QA issues.

6. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

VanguardLH,

I agree with you also, but unfortunately I have *not* come across a backup imaging pgm yet that encompasses an ease of use gui with all the basic features that really should be present to an end-user AND at the same is reliable for restoring and does not have signiifcant QA issues.

All the vendor backup pgms (that I know of) still need to mature further for the user. However, each new version of this type of vendor software seems to be getting closer to what should be presented to the average user. I think that you may still have to wait for the next vendors release schedules of 6 months to a year (on average), to get these ease of use features with QA/Reliability in the category of backup imaging pgms. At least thats what I am hoping for. .... In the meantime, it unfortunately appears that workarounds and possibily scripting may be needed, at times, to fill the gap (until the new product release cycles incorporate the ease of use features that really should have been there all along).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.