I have seen the light (and it is green)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by egghead, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe_Jones

Joe_Jones Registered Member

TrustPort replaced Bitdefender with Dr. Web this year,
    as one of it's 4 engines (others are Norman,AVG,Ewido)
    so i am very curious to see the results with the new av-comparatives which
    will have TrustPort tested with Dr. Web included now, hope it will finish just as good as the last On-Demand test. (it found most malware then)

2. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

So far I love it, minus one small detail. I have been running a complete system scan for over 3 hours and 30 min (and counting @ 87% lol). For the love of god man, does it scan by the bit? :D

No problems with the scan time really, just means its doing a thorough job. I normally run the weekly while I am in bed and the computer is not in use.

I'll repost after the scan is over, no telling when, since its been on my data drive for the last 2 hours, with any news worth noting(FP, etc) :p

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I was out of line today, sorry.:'(

4. Access Denied

Hey, we all have them days buddy. Your still a good friend in my book. You don't give any AV a free pass. That means something to me. :thumb:

5. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

IMO,you were not that out of line, you hit the nail right on the head.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  6. Access Denied

The scan finished after 5 or 6 hours, lol. Only files reported were a hand full of *.reg files that were backups created by SpyBot's latest version. No FP and that is impressive since both Avira and NOD32 found at least two or more in my drives. Avira had never found a FP on here until today this morning during a scan before I awoke. How ironic since I was ready to install the new Dr Web. :eek: The FP had been on here for over 3 months, btw, in a program files folder of an app installed since last year. Just a recent update in the last week caused the report.

Im happy with Dr Web and Comodo V3 on here now. :thumb:

7. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Now you have run a full scan you can untick both "archives" & "mails"
    this will improve scanning speed.

8. risl

risl Registered Member

I'm not sure, but I'd guess it just doesn't have any limit in how deep to scan if an archive is inside of an archive and that archive contains archives and so on ->

(I remember atleast trend micro having somekind of option to choose how deep to scan similar packages)

9. Access Denied

I have a folder on the backup disk labeled ISO'z and it has an iso of nearly all the data cd's I have for this pc saved in there. Im sure that contributed to most of the scanning. I forgot about that until I looked in there to see what could have taken so long.

10. risl

risl Registered Member

That might be a bit problematic to exclude .. unless you are sure that you don't backup malware. :eek:

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Sure he can, now its scanned, just exclude that folder in the scanner settings ;)

Nothing problomatic about it ;)

12. risl

risl Registered Member

.. It depends if it's automated backuping(or manual)that overwrites the old backup and if it's full system backup or some movies and mp3's. The new backup can contain malware that drw doesn't detect yet and will get restored if backups are are used.

13. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Having read this thread I thought I would give cure it a go. Not sure how I tell if it is any good ? like all other av programs I have tried it found nothing. Not sure how to evaluate a program that finds nothing if there is nothing there to find.
    Certainly running cure it once or twice a year can do no harm but I don't feel that I have been on the road to Damascus.

14. egghead

egghead Registered Member

where is the logic in evaluating a program on a system if you know that this system is "clean" ? o_O

15. Long View

LOL - If logic came into the equation a lot less security software would be used.
    My systems have always been clean - but to be fair to those who see AV, AS... etc as necessary I do run any checks as and when and never find anything. It could be that my machines are contaminated and that the programs I have tried
    have missed the problem, or it could be that I am in a minority and that most machines are full of spyware etc or it could be that too much is made of the real risks ?

16. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

You could always use Winantivirus if you want results!

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Your looking at it the wrong way long view, drweb don't need to prove the cleaning/curing ability, its 2nd to none.

You should be impressed that no fps were found ;)

18. Access Denied

I forgot to mention I should just exclude two whole partitions all together according to the advice you guys are giving. Nothing goes on either the data or the backup drives until after its on the drive that Dr Web resides and scans it first.

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

you can exclude whatever you like from the scans, the choice is purely yours :)

20. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

I've wound up at Wilder's wanting to get information about the various AV programs. I tried Dr. Web based on some comments here.

Anyway, I had the exact same problem. I managed to get it uninstalled and then went looking elswhere. If I need to wrestle with a program to get it working, it's not going to win any confidence points from me ;)

At any rate, just wanted to say that Eliot wasn't the only one with the problem.

21. Access Denied

Obviously :D I was taking the advice given from existing Dr. users that knew more about it than I. :D If excluding the two root drives described above seems to be ok to you, do you think it would be safe? I will say again, nothing gets written to either of those drives unless it gets written and read from another drive first, meaning real time has already scanned it.

22. Long View

In 12 years of looking FPs are all that I have ever managed to find - so yes cure it didn't find any fps. I ran it on 2 other machines with the same results. Apart from real time "protection" which I would never use is there anything better about the paid for drweb ?

23. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

I ran Dr. Web Cure-It and it found 1 infection, but it was a false positive. Hope it isn't the norm. :doubt:

24. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I think and have said many times in this forum that much too much is made of the alleged risks. I have never had a a worm/virus/malware invade my machines in 28 years of using PCs. I am also a high risk surfer. This place is for the paranoid. Not to say there are not real threats, but the user is about 99% of the equation. If the user is not foolish, infection is unlikely.

25. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I have tested virtually all AVs, and Dr. Web is tied with Avira for ease of installation and uninstallation. If you are having problems, there is likely either another program or programs causing issues, or you are making some kind of removal error. Use CCleaner and safely cleanse your registry if you uninstall Dr. Web, and delete the Dr. Web folder that is left behind. There should be no wrestling with Dr. Web to install or to take off of your machine.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.