I have no hard drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sloth, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sloth

sloth Guest

I would like to put an image from one hard drive to another. This sounds to me, like it should be COMPLETELY POSSIBLE. However, True Image can't detect my other hard drive. Am I the first person to try to put an image from one hard drive to another? This is ludicrous.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Need more specifics. Version and build of True Image? Desktop or Laptop? What windows OS? Other hard drive in desktop, usb encl, firewire encl.? Is the other hard drive PATA or SATA?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sloth,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

Please also check each partition of both your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If the problem still persists after installing the update and checking the hard drives then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Try to create an image when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 and let us know the result;

- Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. sloth

sloth Guest

I have created an image onto a bootable hard drive with PATA cabling. I have installed a primary slave HDD with PATA that I would like to image, using the image that is currently on the first hard drive.

...Here's my delima. I have about a dozen systems that are not bootable at all. They were part of another network, and I had locked them down to only boot up if connected to that network. The only way to get them to ever boot again is to reimage them. As I'm still setting up this network, there is no DHCP server yet. This rules out reimaging over the network as far as I know.
    One of the problems is how to get the image onto these hard drives, as the network won't allow it. The only options I can think of, is to place the images on a jump drive; which I am doing, but I do not believe that the systems will read the jump drive since they won't even boot up; place the images on CDs, which will take about 50 CDs; or place the hard drives into a bootable system as slaves, and reimage them from there, which appears to, for some reason, be completely impossible to do using True Image. That's rediculous.

If anybody has any suggestions, I would love to hear anything you can offer. this is completely crazy to me, but I can't think of any way to put the images onto these hard drives.

5. sloth

sloth Guest

Oh, I forgot. I'm running XP on the system that I am trying to use to reimage the drives. The drives that I am imaging are mostly 98SE. I am using True Image 9.0. I think that covers everything you asked. :)

6. Acronis Support

Hello sloth,

As far as I can understand, you have a number of computers that you want to recover using the beforehand created images. Usually you do it over the network, but it is not possible at the moment, since your network is currently unavailable.

If that's the case then I would recommend you to do the following in order to accomplish your goal:

- Place your images on any type of the supported removable media (e.g. CD, DVD, external hard drive, etc.);

- Boot each computer that needs to be recovered from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0;

- Gain access to the removable media and restore the respective image.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Please be aware that according to Acronis software licensing policy, you should purchase one copy of Acronis program per every computer where it will be used (the same applies to the rescue disc). This means that you should purchase as many licenses of Acronis True Image 9.0 as many computers you are going to backup\recover.

If my assumption is not correct then please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem:

- Describe the desired actions in more detail;

- Let us know what exact actions you can not perform;

- Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  7. sloth

sloth Guest

I have tried what you suggested, however, this network is barely put together at all. It's a small, crappy network, and only one CD burner exists. It only creates corrupt disks, which is great if I have an extra blank CD that I would like to DESTROY. Other than that, the CD burner serves no purpose.
    Don't blame me for this network. I've only been here a week.
    So, unless I bring one of my CD burners from home, this option is out.
    So, I decided to create a DHCP server real quick, and try it over the network. I created a DHCP server out of bubblegum and tape. The other computers can detect this DHCP server, but the system I am trying to reimage is not detecting any of the network.
    There are no error messages I can give you. It just doesn't detect anything under 'Computers near me.'
    After I attempt to access the network, the computer laughs at me. :(

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

When you get to the filename area instead of clicking on "Computers Near Me" put the name of the computer you want to get to in the filename box. Example: If you want to access "fred" put \\fred\sharename in the filename and you should see it. If you don't know the sharename it should popup a menu of what's available on fred if all else is OK.

edited my "/" to "\" and added sharename.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  9. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

Sloth,

You could install the software at home, burn the boot CD and it will work on the computers at work. For licensing reasons, you should uninstall the software at home after you burn the CD.:cool:

10. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Can't you get the owner of the system to purchase a good burner? They are not that expensive.

11. Acronis Support

Hello sloth,

Could you please clarify whether you can not see any computers under Computers Near Me icon when using Acronis True Image 9.0 Bootable Rescue CD or when Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from under Windows?

Have you tried to follow seekforever's suggestion?

Please describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. sloth

sloth Guest

It's funny. I can see one system. There are about 80 computers on this network, and I can only see one of them. I cannot see anything special about this one system as opposed to the others, other than the smiley face sticker on the side. However, when I go to this system under 'Computers near me' I cannot see any of the subfolders. I am going to try seekforever's suggestion now.
    -sloth

13. sloth

sloth Guest

What do you know? Seekforever's suggestion worked! He's tha man! :)
    For SOME reason, when I type out the domain name, it suddenly detects ALL of my systems. However, now, when I try to connect to one of the systems it asks me for my username and password. I have typed in every user name and password I've EVER SEEN, even if it does not pertain to this situation. Nothing works. I even made up some passwords and stuff. This makes me sad. Like this: :(
    I tried slapping the side of the computer screen, but that didn't work either.

What username is it asking for? I've used all of the usernames I have.

14. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

15. sloth

sloth Guest

I figured it out! Instead of putting the Acronis boot disk in the CDROM, I was actually putting a ham sandwich in there! Silly me.
    Seriously, everything seems to be working okay now. Thanks alot, guys! :)

16. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi sloth,

For the benefit of other users who may be having a similar problem, how did you overcome the username/password runaround? Or did you just substitute a salami sandwhich for the ham one :D.

Regards

17. sloth

sloth Guest

Actually, substituting the salami sandwich helped.
    But also...
    ...I found that the shared folder was listed in two places. Once under 'Entire Network' and again under the workgroup. I used ... one of them. I don't remember which one, but one of the two worked. I also had to type it out, because for some reason, when I clicked on anything, it didn't work.

Now it says 'Failed to create the scheduled task. Error #1722 - "The RPC server is unavailable."

Sometimes, when I'm lucky, I get "This device does not exist on the network."

Sometimes, it says something about not having permission to do this, but I think I know how to fix that.

Still, other times my whole system just bursts into flames, and shoots out sparks when I try to click on Acronis.

What is this? I've heard of lots of different types of servers, but never an RPC server. I'm SO SAD now. :( I am TOTALLY about to lose my job because it has taken me almost two weeks to figure out this program, and I STILL have not successfully restored an image with it. Wow.

18. sloth

sloth Guest

Okay... So... some random computer worked to hold my image temporarily, but this is crazy. I found a NEW error. "Could not create such and such folder". That makes four different errors, and I'm only trying to do one function. Those are bad odds. :( Plus, it says it finally worked, but it has taken 1 minute to transfer 40GB of data over my network. As much as I would like to believe this is true, I am pretty skptical. Afterall, I'm using a sneakernet! (Just kidding)

First things first... What is this 'Device does not exist on the network' error all about?

19. Acronis Support

Hello sloth,

Could you please let us know when exactly you receive this error message?

What is the exact text of the error message?

Please describe actions taken before this error message appears step-by-step.

Please also tell us more about your network structure.

What operating system is installed on the computer network share you want to save your images to is located at?

Could you please do the following in order to solve the problem?

For Windows 2000/XP:

1. Make sure that Acronis Scheduler 2 Service (Administrative Tools -> Services) Startup type is set to Automatic in Properties. If it is not so, make it so.

2. If the above does not help, run the schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe manually in Windows Task Manager (File -> New Task) or do the following:

- Download and run schedmgr.exe application;

- Issue the following command: schedmgr.exe service start

Windows 9x:

1. Run the schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe manually (double click).

2. If the above does not help, run the service with the schedmgr.exe commands described for Windows 2000/XP.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.