I have i problem with file sharing sites and torrent trackers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ahmed elmasry, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahmed elmasry

Ahmed elmasry Registered Member

Hi guys, i have a problem with file sharing sites and torrent trackers, all file sharing site and torrent trackers are blocked and i can't get access to them. When i enter any site of them, a message appears to me from "Norton DNS" that says these sites aren't allowed to be accessed because there are known file sharing sites.

Although i don't use norton or Norton DNS, and i asked my network administrator for this problem, he told me that he doesn't use Norton DNS.

This is a picture of the message that appears to me, it is an example for rapidshare.

BMoqC.png
    http://i.imgur.com/BMoqC.png

I need your help for this problem.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Your network admin? Why, pray tell are you accessing these sites from what I assume is work anyway? Norton DNS doesn't just install itself and tweak its own settings. Either the network admin before the current one installed it and set the options, or your current one is lying or someone else from the IT department installed it. Either way, save that kind of surfing for home and save your admin a lot of possible headaches.

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

A component of your security software is blocking or disabling P2P websites. You might ask your ISP if there are local or Country restrictions in place.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I might have assumed too much, are you using this at home and just asked your network admin at work?

@Siljaline: Norton DNS isn't included in any of their suites, is it? (haven't used Norton in years). If not, and if he's using another security application..why would it be showing Norton DNS? I had thought it was something you had to install yourself, and had to manually set it to block specific things.

Edit: I never even thought about internet restrictions in place by law.

5. siljaline

Based on the screen capture, I am assuming it is the software that is playing part in the lack of connectivity to P2P sites. Another Norton user would have to definitely state this is the case.
    There is also the localization issue, as well. There is also a possibility that a P2P infection resides on the OP machine, thus the DNS to further P2P is being denied.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Either that or it's a kid trying to get past purposely set-up blocks (no offense).

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I had thought you needed to sign in with a Norton account to access a dashboard to block access to certain things, maybe it isn't like that anymore and just blocks regardless (kind of the way MBAM IP blocking works). If this is a home machine and Norton DNS is "just there", based on the poster's location, I would also start to think about localization issues. I'm not sure why an infection would cause a DNS blocking issue, if anything, I would assume it would try to bypass such measures? *shrug*

Not much to keep guessing on until the OP comes back.

8. siljaline

None taken and good point :thumb: We all know the inherent perils of P2P, a n00b will not win without getting bitten first. been there, done that ...

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  9. siljaline

We can only wait for the OP to come back. @dw426, I don't run Norton, we need to know more what is flagging the DNS component, if that is the case.
    @elapsed makes some good points, also.

Regards,

10. Ahmed elmasry

I use this in home not work and i'm surprised how Norton DNS is installed in my pc ( when i enter "www.nortondns.com" it tells me that Norton DNS is currently enabled on your computer) although i don't use or install it. And i asked my network admin if he has installed it, he told me that he didn't use or install it before.

11. Ahmed elmasry

I have checked my security software and i found that it didn't block any of these sites.

12. Ahmed elmasry

I'm the only who use my own pc.

13. Ahmed elmasry

Thanks guys for help tries :) . I asked my network admin for this problem again and he promised me to solve it soon.

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Did anyone own the system before you? If not, I'm thinking it's in place via the ISP, with them using Norton as their DNS servers (not a bad idea actually). But, if they're in control of it, you're not likely to be able to get past their filters without resorting to changing the dns servers on your system (via OpenDNS or another service).

15. Ahmed elmasry

No, no one owned the system before me. I tried these services but useless :( .

16. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Could be enabled through your router.

17. Ahmed elmasry

It is not my router.

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't see what the problem is. Just remove the Norton DNS settings and restore it back to your ISP's DNS servers...

19. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

As others have told you, you have Norton DNS installed, either on your router or your computer. This message comes with Norton connectsafe for home use, when you try to access blocked site.

First, why do you have a network admin for your home network?

Usually parents who do not want their kids to watch adult websites install this in their home network to protect their kids. If you are a kid trying to circumvent your parental filters, then I do think you should be told how to bypass it. Right? ;)

20. Ahmed elmasry

I tried to do this but i didn't find any settings for Norton DNS on my pc.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Since I've no clue as to what OS you have, and I'm not certain why you're so determined to get to file sharing websites, I'll leave you with the following:

1. Google DNS servers and learn about them, how and why to change them.

2. http://portforward.com/. Class begins ;)

23. Ahmed elmasry

The network is for me and my neighbours in our building and one of these neighbours is our network admin.

I'm not a kid, i have 21 years, and i don't surf adult content sites. The problem that i can't get access to file sharing servers such as rapidshare, mediafire ... etc, as well as torrent trackers that i use them in downloading movies, books, softwares and video training materials so that i can't download any files.

I'm waiting also for my network admin solution to this problem :) .

24. Ahmed elmasry

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Alright... then I suggest you wait for your "network admin" as you mentioned above..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.