I have a terrible problem!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rita, Dec 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It sounds like you have been hacked, do you run a good firewall? You aren't running a proxy are you? I have seen a proxy set up that was not secure and several thousand emails were sent.

Cheers :D

2. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Blackspear
    I have sygate firewall.I've always liked it.I have Panda platium av which also has a firewall but I have the firewall disabled.In your opinion which firewall is best--sygate or panda?

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures if I have missed this in this thread I'm sorry.

After we are sure Ritaann's problem is cured, I would like the members to offer their thoughts on how this may have happened. This is the kind of nightmare that really concerns me. My prevention thinking on this is I have several email boxes each with a different level of security as to who gets to know about it. (All are set with defaults set by Comcast webmail). For example business box has the tightest security level, only need to know. Newsletters etc. not really very tight and so on. Of course random email selection guessing programs to spam folks; this method may not offer much protection.

My goal here is to see if the community can offer some prevention ideas.

It sounds as if things are getting better for her already. :)

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I was under the impression that spammers will sometimese just use other's emaill addresses to make the emails seem more legitimate (until you open them), is this not true? If that's the case, prevention would be following the standard measures taken to not get spam in the first place.. don't give your real email address out to companies- use TrashMail.net or SpamGourmet.com, etc.

5. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hello Mercurie
    Yes,I believe my problem may be cured.no more emails have been sent from my email address since I changed my password etc.I' watching very closely now,before I rarely looked in my sent folder because i dont send many emails and I'd only delete them maybe once a month.When i started getting a few emails that were undelieverable (which I hadnt sent)I contacted aol about them and ask why I would be getting them since I didnt send the mail in the first place.Thats when they ask me to check my sent mail folder and see if there was any in it I hadnt sent.sure enough there were about 250.all the same email sent to 250 different people.I feel so dumb because i didnt even think about checking my sent folder when i got the mailer dameon emails about the ones that couldnt be delievered,I just didnt think to do it--stupid i guess.I learn something new every day and some of it the hard way!I was so paniced yesterday!One thing i wonder is why they didnt send one to everyone in my address book also.?I'm glad they didnt.I would have been mortified if everyone i know had received one.It's bad enough that all those people i didnt know received one and think I sent them!I hope it's over.I feel it is anyway.

6. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Before i made my first post in your thread here..I already knew you used Sygate. ;)

But i was wondering ritaann if this every happened to you again...or was it just that one time?
    see here
    http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-149386.html

Sygate is a good fire wall if you understand how it works and have set it up for your needs.

7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Notok
    These people didnt just use my email address,they accessed my email account some way.When opened they were like i had sent them.I dont know how they done it.I dont understand how it could have happened.I never ever give out my password!also I have a firewall etc.Of course i really dont understand anything much about this sort of thing or how it happened.I do know I've done everything i know to do, to be safe.but it happened with doing all i know to do.I sure hope it's over and wont happen again.

8. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Primrose
    just the one time,havent had any more port scans.I do like sygate.

9. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi ritaann

I believe Panda's firewall is a rebadge Sygate link (please correct me someone, if i'm mistaken), so perhaps Panda's firewall is the pro version of Sygate. If you are using the free Sygate there might be a bit more protection in the Panda av/fw combo.

Anyway i'm glad your problem seems to be fixed, lets hope it stays that way. :)

10. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Don
    You may be right.The link says it's a partner.I have never even looked at Panda's firewall included with the av.I already had sygate firewall when I got Panda and liked it.I thinkI'll go take a look.If it is the same it may be a bit better version like you said.Ihope my problem is fixed.I feel it is but what do I know--not much.Thanks Don

11. Blackspear

Ritaann, can you download Port Explorer from DCS and see if you have an open port.

12. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

ok I'll do that and post back--thanks

13. Blackspear

I'm going down this line because someone has had physical access to your computer, in that they have actually used your email client to send emails, and a copy of those emails was in your sent items folder. So in order to do this there has to be an open port, or a proxy program was/has been used to share the internet between your computer and another in your house, and this has been done leaving open ports.

14. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

I'm downloading port explorer now and i did scan on shields up too--here are results from there

15. Blackspear

Do your Anti-virus logs show any Trojans or Worms around the same time as the emails being sent?

Can you post a list of the security that you are using.

16. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

no,the logs show nothing. as far as I know I've never had a virus or trogan.I run the av scan about twice a week.I'm using panda platium av,ewido,sygate firewall,have adware se,spyware blaster,giant,spyware guard and spybot S&D,winpatrol and aol spyware protection.I update them all regularly.Plus I have wormguard too.

17. Blackspear

Here's one that was just brought to my attention, and why I didn't think of it pfffffht, as I use the same for a hotmail account, do you have your web-based email account brought in through a email client on your PC and synchronized this way?

18. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

blackspear
    I have an aol email account.

19. Blackspear

You are safe and secure Ritaann, LowWaterMark just filled me in on how AOL handles its email, and it is all web-based, and as such there is little you can do other than change your password and check the security of your computer, both of which you have completed.

20. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Good to know that i've done everything i can to be safe.I will from now on check my sent email folder every day though!Thank you for your help Blackspear :)

21. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi ritaann

Something worth looking at and considering that may help with passwords: Password Safe.

Regards,

CrazyM

22. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

thanks CrazyM
    sounds like a good program sincePassword Safe is a tool that allows you to have a different password for all the different programs and websites that you deal with, without actually having to remember all those usernames and passwords. That sounds like something I need, since its such a chore to try and remember a bunch of different ones.Thanks for the link.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  23. Blackspear

24. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

thanks for the link Blackspear!

I downloaded it and really like this prog.It's easy to use ,a big plus in my case :D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  25. Blackspear

My pleasure Ritaann, with that program you can use the first part of a website and a secret word (I have used the word “vegemite” in the following examples) to generate a password, i.e.

hotmail vegemite

wilders vegemite

aol vegemite

It is best to use at least 2 of the symbols found above 1 to 0 on your keyboard, this strengthens the password incredibly (as per screen shot).

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.