I have a big problem now

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 357mag, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

I have been using Acronis True Image 10 for awhile now with great results. Just this past week, I have upgraded my computer. I put in a new motherboard, processor, and RAM and graphics card. My motherboard is the Intel DP35DP.

After I installed XP Pro and got all my personal settings where I wanted, I made a snapshot of my C:/Drive and stored it on my F:/Drive, just like I did with my old system. After the snapshot was made, I installed a few games, played around for a bit, and then decided to try to recover my entire computer from the backup image.

Much to my horrid surprise, the Recover operation is not working. You know when you click the Reboot button on that final screen, and then the computer Reboots and you are then supposed to be looking at the progress bar? Well that progress bar now only appears for what is probably a third of a second, and then it goes off. My computer then goes through it's normal boot process and I'm back at the Welcome screen. After I log on, I find that my computer has not been restored at all to the backup image(where I did not have those games on it).

Clearly something is wrong here. What's going on? When I made the backup image, Acronis did tell me it was successful too.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If your attempted Restore was from the True Image software installed in Windows, try it from the Rescue cd.

3. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

I tried the Restore from within Windows. I will try from the Rescue disc.

4. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

I was having exactly the same problem when trying to restore from an image on my second hard drive. Everything appeared normal until I attempted a restore. In my case, replacing the SATA cable to my second HD solved the problem entirely. As DwnNdrty suggests, I was able to restore from the recovery CD even before I replaced the cable.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If the results are the same with the Rescue CD, then it's likely that your new hardware is not supported by TI 10's Linux drivers.

Look at the sticky at the top of this forum for how to try the ACPI=OFF work around.

You could also test the TI 11 Trial version, or you could create a BartPE or VistaPE boot disk which use Windows drivers and are more likely to support your new hardware.

6. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

Well I put the Acronis CD in my drive and rebooted my computer. I then hit the Recovery button and this is what I got:

Error: I00101F4

Acronis True Image Home has not found any hard disk drives

What the hell? I have two SATA drives in my machine. Can someone help me here?

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It likely is caused by what jmk94903 said, the TI Linux recovery environment doesn't support your hardware, most likely the disk controller and therefore doesn't see any disks. The disks may be there but they must be communicated with via the controller.

You could try the trial TI11 and see if it works. You could make a BartPE or VistaPE CD. They use Windows so there should not be a driver problem.

8. jmk94903

OK, you know you have two hard drives, but the TI Linux environment on the Rescue CD doesn't have the proper drivers, so it can't see them.

There's no way to add drivers to the CD, so check that you have the last build of TI 10. That's build 4942. If you have an earlier build, register your product on the Acronis web site and download the 4942 build and make a new Rescue CD.

If you are using a Build 4942 CD already, then you can try creating a BartPE or VistaPE boot disk or download the TI 11 trial and create the TI 11 Rescue CD.

There may be a compatibility setting in your motherboard's BIOS setup that will allow the SATA controller to be recognized. This will be called IDE mode probably instead of ACHI. I don't know if there are any significant negatives associated with using that setting, but it is an older style so there may be some loss of performance.

9. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

I just downloaded the trial version of Acronis 11. Did a new full system backup. Then tried to recover the system.

Worked perfectly.

I may just pick up the new version.

10. jmk94903

Since it works, it's definitely the easiest way to go.

I like BartPE disks, but the TI Rescue disk is faster and easier to create.

By the way, did you notice that SeekForEver and I had the same advice. He snuck in ahead of me while I was sending other messages. :)

11. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

Isn't the disc that comes in the box when you buy the product the Rescue Disk? Why are you people making an additional Rescue Disk?

12. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

It's because many True Image users don't buy the retail version, but download the software from the Acronis website. But even if you buy the retail boxed version, you should still check to see if it is the latest build for that version. If it isn't, your retail purchase allows you to register on the Acronis website where you can then download the latest build - and then you will need to create a Rescue cd in order to have the latest build on the cd.

13. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I have two copies of "rescue" CDs, Plus BartPE, Plus VistaPE.
    I would strongly reccomend making another copy of your "rescue" cd, in case it gets damaged.

14. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

The build I have on my retail version is 11.0.0.8053. I just checked the build on the downloaded trial version I tried and that is the exact same build, so the two are the same version.

I don't really understand what a BARTPE would do for me.

15. jmk94903

Have you restored a backup yet? That's the acide test of backing up.

If not have you booted from the Rescue CD and validated a couple of the backups you have made? This doesn't guarantee a successful restore, but it's a pretty good bet when successful.

If you are not successful, a BartPE disk may be what you need. So, it's a great solution when the TI Rescue CD fails.

16. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

To elaborate on what jmk94903 said, the BartPE or VistaPE disk are Windows-based rather than Linux-based. If the Linux CD doesn't work on your system because of some inadequacy, the Bart/VistaPE disks probably will since they use Windows drivers etc. You can also add any needed special drivers to them if necessary whereas this is not possible with TI's Linux CD.

Disadvantage is that you have to create them which can seem intimidating for a non-techie but isn't as bad as it looks since the process is highly automated. They are also a bit slower to boot up and the machine has to be rebooted with the CD in the drive - for comparison, if your Windows is operational you can do a restore with TI by giving it the data and then it will reboot into the Linux recovery mode. The TI Linux is memory-resident so you can remove the CD from the drive and use it if your archive is on optical disk. BartPE, AFAIK, requires the BartPE CD to remain in the drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.